Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner

left hand 10/22 stocks

452 9
This probably get's asked often enough, but I couldn't find any threads to search......or I gave up....

I am pondering building up a custom 10/22, but first want a LEFT HAND stock....any suggestions.....OR, if most of my shooting is bench or just puttering around (I know, with a $2,000 custom 10/22, but that's the benefit of no wife ever or no children ever) would a Hogue work ? Suggestions? :confused:
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,709 Posts
This thread will be of interest to you:

Boyd's left hand special

I believe that special price is only good until the end of May '05. You can go to Boyd's web site through the sponsor's links. They have a bunch of really nice laminate colors.

·
Registered
956 Posts
if you're really wanting to spend $2000 on a 10/22 build, i think this is an excellent way to start. check these stocks out, they are just starting their website, and have offered us a deal. not everthings up yet, but they are working on it..http://www.rimfirecentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=95488. unique, and no extra $ for left hand. by the way welcome to RFC :) and once you start, if you think your only gonna have one 10/22 :D :D , you have a lot to learn..good luck and happy shopping. by the way, check out the sponers area, you can find anything you need, and they are great people to deal with.

·
Registered
4,297 Posts
Welcome!

FNG- I am also left handed, and have been searching high and low for a great stock for me. Finally, the new Apache stocks are becoming available soon, and wouldn't ya know, because of the way that they build and cut their stocks, they have pieces of wood that will ONLY make a great left handed stock (beautiful grain to the outside), and couldn't be used for a right handed stock. To us lefties, for a change, this means that while all of the right handed people are fighting for a decent piece of wood, us lefties (being only 10% of the general population) can enjoy our choice of what will probably be a "Much improved" grain pattern to our stocks as compared to what the righties have to fight over, for whatever is "Left". (Ha flippin' HA!)
To answer your question-"No, the Hogue overmolded stock will not suffice". I originally built and tuned my action in a "Cheapie composite" stock, and when I switched it to a laminate stock, my groups instantly shrunk by about .200" at 50 yards. The ONLY difference, was the stock. Now that I am searching for the "Ultimate" in precision for fit and performance, I am tellin' ya, I am glad I never dumped a bunch of dough into a "Kinda decent" stock, or settled for something that I didn't really want. Heck, the "Bi-directional" laminate was something I didn't even really want, and in confidence, the other left-handed stocks that I have inquired about to other lefties on the forum got less than rave reviews. I even waited two months to get the laminate I didn't really want, only to have the action fit unacceptably, and have to wait another month to get another stock sent to me, what a pain!
I never thought I would see the day that I would like a brown, wood stock, but that all changed here with the Apache deal. If you have 2K to burn, START there, and learn from my mistakes! I know I am! :t

·
Registered
956 Posts
My bad. :( Here is anothor choice for an excellet high end solid wood stock. http://www.rimfirecentral.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=104. another RFC sponsor. He spends a lot of time here and is always quick to help out on any questions you might have about stocks, or 10/22 in general. a real gentleman, and a master of understatement, i might add. :D .dave

·
Registered
79 Posts
I’m a lefty also and the options are somewhat limited, but they are getting better. IMHO - If you want to 'putter' around, a Hogue OM would be a reasonable choice. You don't have to worry about scratches, water damage/warping, and the cost is relatively low. If you want to bench shoot for itty bitty groups, don't consider it. I have one and will probably sell it when I get my replacement in. I like the Gatewood’s best, then Richards Microfit, followed by Boyd’s/Revival. I lean towards the Gatewood and Richard’s Tack Driver because I think they are good designs for both offhand and bench shooting. While I personally don't care for the style of the Barracuda or Apache, both will hopefully be available to the buyer soon. All of these are available in left hand models. Most, if not all, can be purchased unfinished so you can save a few dollars and also put your personal touch on, if you are so inclined.

·
Registered
10,095 Posts
If you have a $2K budget, you can put a heck of a good scope on it for $500, spend $500 on all the best parts ($800 if you want a Lilja barrel) and have $700 left over for a custom made, left handed turkish walnut stock in whatever configuration you want!!!!

With that kind of budget, that could just turn out to be the single prettiest 10/22 ever made! Hogue should never be mentioned in the same sentence. If it were my money... and it ain't... I'd spread that out over more than one gun!

Claude Gatewood is capable of producing whatever you want... whatever wood, in whatever style, in whatever price range. I have seen a custom classis style Claro walnut stock here lately that he made that my jaw drop.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.