Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner

Leaper's???

1110 Views 29 Replies 11 Participants Last post by  gmcfixer
How wonderful or not are these cheap scopes? I need a 450 dollar scope for about half price LOL. As it seems the 450 dollar scopes are the ones that have the stuff I want.
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

· Registered
658 Posts
I would say for the price, there are alot better scopes out there.
The reason I say that is because Leapers doesnt seem to be a name that pops up to often, especially around here but there are other names that do time and time again.

What partuclars are you looking for, i.e magnification, objective, reticle style, etc..... There is alot of knowledge on this site and if it were me, I would ask whats the best out there for a specific price and for the intended use.

Just a thought

HD

· Registered
3,500 Posts
Rowdy said:
How wonderful or not are these cheap scopes? I need a 450 dollar scope for about half price LOL. As it seems the 450 dollar scopes are the ones that have the stuff I want.
Rowdy,

Now while I am one to condone trying out low cost optics and have had very good luck with them, one scope I did try and have it fail right away was a Leapers 4X. I had put it on a SKS and within 30 rounds or so the reticle started rotating in the scope. I got it replaced and the replacement went about 200 rounds, didn't hold a zero from one shot to the next and then it finally became a target and a Tasco replaced it. I haven't heard anyone say they have had good luck with a Leapers, but I haven't met every Leapers scope owner either.

Dave Z.

· Registered
2,486 Posts
I would stick with their 5th generation airgun scopes, they should be built well, although a friend returned one due to the small field of view, the halo around the view was a thick black ring instead of the narrow black ring you'll see on good scopes ....he bought a Mueller Tactical instead, is very happy with it on a Beeman R11.

Tim

· Registered
2,196 Posts
The Leapers I have seen at gun shows are noticeably inferior optically.

You want $450 performance for half, narrow your type of use and you might do pretty good. Long ways from $225 and Leapers.

Be more specific about intended use and tell us your budget you probably will get some good suggestions. The first suggestion is forget the Leapers.

· Registered
522 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
I forgot Leapers already LOL... I kind of figured this, but don't know anyone that has tried them, so I asked here LOL.

OK, here is the deal. I want a scope that is of coarse good and clear with AO with the side adjustment if possible for the price. I want 30mm tube, at least 44mm objective, but would rather have 50mm or more of objective. I really like the whole idea of the side adjusting AO too, but only if it works as it should, for the money LOL.

Now for the good part, I really want power on the low side 4-6 with no more than 6.5 and power on the high side of 18 or more. This really isn't a hard scope to find for me, just a tuff sucker on the 200 dollar budget LOL, with any quality anyway. I would just about tape an open sight to the end of the barrel and use peep sights till I can get a good scope instead of spending 200 for a scope that won't do the task.

I have seen a couple that was around 350 that would probably work ok and then plenty of them from 400 up. So whats out there for 200 bucks. I seen one of the Barska tacticle in a 6X24X44 if I remember correct on the objective side; but it was like 239 or so, just not sure on them either. So can any of you guys help a guy out???

Edit: I forgot the resticle type I want. I really like the mil dot that has the cross hair with dots from the center outward. Doesn't have to be ILL. either. I just don't want a recticle with the dot dead center. I really like the center to have the cross hair then start the dots out from there. If this makes any sense LOL... You guys notice that I put on here at the key places"I want" not I need LOL. So I can be flexable as I have to be.

I have more than a few scopes that I have ruined on different guns. Mostly the 10/22 and the really bad boy on the scopes around here has been the model 48 RWS pellet rifle. This pellet rifle is a scope killer if they ain't built well LOL. So you guys talk to me please

· Registered
2,196 Posts

· Registered
522 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Ok, anyone; here is something I ain't seen or even heard of LOL. No side focus but certainly has about everything else. I really like the bigger tube sizes and objectives for better night hunting, they always seem to more clear at dark thirty to me.

If you read all this stuff and then thumb through the web site on other scopes here, it seems that Russia just moved and rebuilt the plant on their soil Yikes:) None the less 200 bucks for this one, not sure but you may have to speak Rusky to look through these though:)
http://www.kalinkaoptics.com/cgi-bin/kowstore.cgi?user_action=detail&catalogno=GSKOVPOI62450

· Registered
522 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Now this one has got the mildot recticle and 30mm tube and huge objective LOL. Man, do you think they make rings tall enough for this sucker and strong enough to hold it on LOL. Really has a killer looking recticle for my wants and needs. Just here we go again into the 450 price range:) Its surely something different that I have not seen or heard about. The one above is more in budget for me, but the recticle is not what I really like but could live with for sure.

Man I have way too many rules:) Have a look see guys.
http://www.kalinkaoptics.com/cgi-bin/kowstore.cgi?user_action=detail&catalogno=GSPPOII62460F

· Registered
658 Posts
The 30mm tube will only give you more internal adjustment, it does not and will not gather more light.

Their warranty is only good for one year, unlike most other brands. That, in my opinion, puts a red flag up.

I would go for one of the suggestions given above, thay are tested, proven and recommended.

HD

· Registered
522 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Yeah I hear you alright, I found these with a Yahoo search. They seem to be way cool, just would like to have my hands on one first, and I ain't going to spend 469 bucks for the one I really like here before that happens either.

Leupold has some killer scopes and getting them repaired is just as good. I have even bought some of them at gun shows from guys, the scope all beat up and broken but still a Leupold. Get home and send them off before doing anything else to them, have those guys run the scope through the drill. Heck I not only get a basically new scope back from them, but I also get a box LOL.

I just don't really need that end of the spectrum of a scope for what I plan on for this 22magnum I am putting together. There are actually quite a few scopes out there, that are very good, I just have so many rules on what I think I want, that its narrows down to the upper end of the scale LOL.

This is why I posted the thread on here, figure everyone here has a scope they like too and wanted to read what everyone else would think would be a good choice, good enough anyway. I don't want anyone to get there choice stomped on at all. I know guys around here locally that buy the most cheapest scope they can, mount them on whatever gun and seems to me they have the best of luck too. Scopes stayes on target no matter what and year after year.

My luck is more like drop my anvil on the floor and not only break the solid steel anvil, but burst the shop floor in the process LOL.
So I thought it would be cool to make the post and see what turns up around here. Heck I have been reading through the history pages and searches for quite sometime on this as well as other things of interests. Good reading from you guys here.

· Registered
1,645 Posts
Sportsmans Guide (.com) has a Simmons 6.5-20x44 AO for $99.97.

You might be able to find a Simmons ProHunter 6-24x42 AO for around $100 on closeout somewhere.

I'm buying one of each of these from a member here. I have three of the ATVs (4.5-14x40 AO) and really like them alot. Just dont have the magnification I need (or at least think I need) for serious 50 and 100 yrd USBR shooting.

· Registered
61 Posts
what you guys think is expensive already like a $400-$500 scope is already considered cheap in other countries where the prices are at least 50% more expensive and many times twice the price or even more and what's worse, its not available even if one has the money for it. you guys should consider yourselves very lucky to be able to buy those things even at those prices.

· Registered
522 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Well, I did get a scope bought for a beginning, not the one I intend to use on the 22mag, at least till how see how this scope is. I ordered it from the guy on the forsale forum here who has the Simmons scopes for 105 bucks that are the 6.5-20X44 with the ILL recticle that is mil-dot. I had to get one of these for the money. I has swarn off the Simmons the last few times I have gotten them all to just get another LOL...

I have had quite a few of the Simmons I have sent back to have fixed for whatever reason. Maybe this one will be the exception. I plan to mount this one on the 10/22LR I have right now. It has a 44mag Simmons now that is the 3-10 power. Its an older scope I have had for quite sometime. I beed blasted it many years ago to help match the SS 10/22 its on. Not that I think mixing the blued and SS stuff on guns looks bad. I have more than a few other guns that I have this all mixed for contrast and I think they look kind of neat.

I may have to work the black finish off this new scope once I see how it is. You guys have a great and safe weekend...

· Registered
373 Posts
I might get flak for this post, but here it is anyhow.
I reciently purchased a Leapers 4-16x56 Mil-Dot. The reason was that I wanted the features that it offered and didn't want to shell out the $$ for a "name" brand (ie. Leupold) :(
It has a one-piece milled tube, the optics seem pretty clear at 16x and the reticle is etched onto one of the inner lenses. We ranged a distant building with the Mil-Dot (using the front 6'6" door as a reference) at apprx. 1200 meters. Though it shouldn't be used beyond 1000. :p
It is mounted on my AR-15 for "sniping" coyotes and bobcats.
Does it compare to a Leupold? No...of course not. But it does what I need it to do. Nothing more. Nothing less.
$135 shipped....can't be all bad!! :D

· Registered
522 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Flak from a comment, we all have our view of this and just pointing out things good or bad really. Flak is cool too, as we all are Americans here and all share the same love for our rimfires. I think most of us know the bigger differences of the big dollar scopes and the cheaper ones. I posted this to see if I heard anything really bad about these. The one thing would be like if they just flat didn't hold up. Like ocular to fall off or something like the glass shatter from shot fired LOL.

I know on the few good scopes I have, compaired to the more cheaper scopes, the single biggest thing I see is the amount of light transmission through them; 70-80 percent on the cheaper while 90 percent or more on the more expensive glass. I get the percentages from what I read from details on the scope brands and models I have. I know its enough I can see the difference in poor light.

You know a good test that would make a great post here would be to get a host of scopes from cheap to scarry expensive all close to the same power range of coarse, but then get them all set to shoot a PIC through each of them at something like a down range target with some fine print on the target along with a few shot holes; then add poor light conditions. The 30mm tubes and bigger objectives do help the cheaper scopes like this but if you was to have big objectives on those, I bet things would be interesting??? Shoot three PIC's from each scope-Lowest power, highest power and then set at a power range somewhere in the middle power that each scope would be on the same power. Then we all could see the differences from the posted PIC's. I know there is a lot of clarity lost through the camera and all, but I bet it would still be a good test to see. At least I would think so.

I might have to try this with the few I have here, but mine all are a long way apart on power Objective sizes and not a good fair test at all. Its also very hard to get the digital camera's focused on something as they are, let alone looking through a scope LOL.

Someone that has a bigger and better selection of glass would be able to do a better test than my few glass sights. I might could add some of the Bino's and the spotting scope and make it fun though LOL.

· Registered
373 Posts
I knew you wouldn't believe me. Look at this link:
http://www.pyramydair.com/site/articles/leapers-scopes/

At least the one in my hand is milled...or maybe they went through the trouble to "dress it up" after extruding.

As for fogging, haven't had a problem here in southern Louisiana.

Incidentally, the US sales rep was friendly and helpful on the phone. Says these scopes will handle the "reverse recoil" associated with air rifles.

Like I said, its not a Leupold. :D

· Registered
522 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Dwight

I must say you brought up an interesting point here dude. I have never noticed a scope changing POI when you change the power setting. This does distrub me though at the meer thought. That would be totally unexceptible for me as well reguardless of what kind of scope and what caliber of gun too. That would just plain and simple, suck raw air.

Think if you was to use a bore sighter and change the power setting if you would see it, if it didn't stay on POI???

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.