Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
20,556 Posts
Chief Says : You dont have much choice.

All Long Rifle bullets are lead , some just have a copper coat
"wash " added to them. They are not jacketed as many think.

All 22 magnum bullets are jacketed.

You will not find any 22 LR that are Full Metal Jacket.
You will not find any lead 22 magnum ammo that FMJ.

I have a project barrel that has a 22 LR chamber on one end.
and a 22 magnum on the other end .
I switch ends often , shoot for a while . Seems to make no difference to the bore .

CD

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
ChiefDave said:
Chief Says : You dont have much choice.

All Long Rifle bullets are lead , some just have a copper coat
"wash " added to them. They are not jacketed as many think.

CD
Ok, so can you shoot plain jane lead bullets without the copper wash throught GM barrels or should you use the type with a copper wash like the LR mini mags?

·
Registered
2,431 Posts
.22LR ammo is NOT PLATED! It is copper washed. That means that it has enough copper to color the lead bullet and nothing else. The copper compound has exactly zero effect on the bullet during loading, chambering, or firing. It offers nothing in the way of bullet enhancement other than coloring and it will not have any different effect on your barrel than a standard lead bullet.

If you are talking about center fire that is another story entirely. With the speed that the bullet races down the bore there is so much heat generated that you will get fouling with any kind of bullet. The purpose in barrel break-in is to wear-in the microscopic imperfections that will affect bullet travel.

·
Registered
20,556 Posts
now yer gettin' it!~ :D

I have to qualify that by saying sure...it does something, however the difference 'tween RF and CF is miles apart and there will be NO earthshaking differences observed, normally in the rimfire like you see in centerfire...

Some say they can detect a difference, others tell them they're nuts. do whatever makes you feel good. It sure can't hurt.

·
Registered
20,556 Posts
Chief says : The Soft lead can burn (impregnate) particles
of itself into the rifles bore ( rifling). A breakin session ,
limits the bore to how much is gathered at one time.

As we all know , too much lead and not enough cleaning fouls
the bore . Rimfires foul with lead . Centerfires foul with copper
from the jacketing.

Now 22 magnums use lead ( copper jacketed ) bullets , like
centerfires. So now , how you clean the bore ?
LIKE a centerfire - with a stiff brush ?
LIKE a rimfire - with a boresnake ( string & patch )

YOU decide - I clean mine like A rimfire - no brushes - !!
CD.

·
Registered
46 Posts
ChiefDave said:
Chief says : The Soft lead can burn (impregnate) particles
of itself into the rifles bore ( rifling). A breakin session ,
limits the bore to how much is gathered at one time.

CD.
Steel is much harder than lead. How does the lead impregnate something that is many many times harder than it? I know that the lead is hot, but hot enough to alloy with steel ?

I can see lead getting stripped off in a rough bore (happens when I shoot cast bullets at too high velocity in my cf pistols and rifles), but that isn't impregnation.

Sounds to me like you are saying that the .22 RF can be a source of "leading" in a bore, and that that needs to be cleaned. But still breakin of a barrel would be more like smoothing out the bore, wouldn't it?

Ben Reinhardt
Pocatello, ID

·
Registered
20,556 Posts
Impregnate? I think we may be seeing the beginning of a semantics war here. The lead will find any smalll variations in the bore surface and fill them with lead if given the chance, then, the lead will adhere to itself as shots proceed, building it up. If there is a rise in the bore surface, then lead can be shaved off the bullet and deposited on the surface behind the protrusion...kinda like a cheese grater at work.

Any removal of material of the barrel itself caused by the passing of the bullet is going to be at a FAR slower rate than one would find in a copper jacketed center fire situation.

The surface speed of the bullet is between two and four times, on average, slower in a rimfire, and the abrasive qualities of lead, compared to copper is miles apart. The heat factors involved aren't very comparable either. There is very little to compare between the two.

Ron

·
Registered
46 Posts
Antlurz said:
Impregnate? I think we may be seeing the beginning of a semantics war here. The lead will find any smalll variations in the bore surface and fill them with lead if given the chance, then, the lead will adhere to itself as shots proceed, building it up. If there is a rise in the bore surface, then lead can be shaved off the bullet and deposited on the surface behind the protrusion...kinda like a cheese grater at work.

Any removal of material of the barrel itself caused by the passing of the bullet is going to be at a FAR slower rate than one would find in a copper jacketed center fire situation.

The surface speed of the bullet is between two and four times, on average, slower in a rimfire, and the abrasive qualities of lead, compared to copper is miles apart. The heat factors involved aren't very comparable either. There is very little to compare between the two.

Ron
So "breaking in" a .22 lr barrel is basically a myth then ? Unless you call filling in low spots/pits in the barrell breaking it in ? Maybe the lead smooths out the bore by filling in those spaces.

Ben Reinhardt

·
Registered
20,556 Posts
Let's try to put this in perspective.

A HOT centerfire can burn out a barrel in a couple thousand rounds. A more normal centerfire can still burn out a barrel in 5-8,000 rounds or so. that should give one the impression that a few rounds can have an observable effect on the barrel, especially when the barrel is new, and its honeymoon with copper jacketed bullets are getting familiar with each other.

Now, let's go to the other end of the spectrum. A normal 22 rimfire barrel (NOT referring to the magnum) shooting lead bullets, in some cases colored with a copper wash, will have a service life of somewhere around a QUARTER OF A MILLION rounds. Now, since that barrel is going to shoot good for a quarter of a million rounds, do you honestly think a box of bullets ran through it in a slightly different method from normal is gonna make a hole in the ocean?

One thing is for sure. It isn't cut and dried like the centerfire situation.

Ron

·
Registered
46 Posts
antlurz wrote:"Now, since that barrel is going to shoot good for a quarter of a million rounds, do you honestly think a box of bullets ran through it in a slightly different method from normal is gonna make a hole in the ocean?

One thing is for sure. It isn't cut and dried like the centerfire situation.

Ron"

No, that's my point exactly.

Thanks for the explainations and help!

Ben Reinhardt

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.