Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner
901 - 920 of 986 Posts

· Registered
1,958 Posts
Discussion Starter · #905 · (Edited)
STOCK 234
Before gluing the three pieces of hickory together, the middle piece will end up being cut in two pieces. The way I cut my inletting causes a problem doing the part behind the action, when I’m jutting the wood up to the back of the trigger guard.
Larry
Brown Wood Rectangle Floor Flooring

Getting ready for glue
Ruler Wood Tool Office ruler Font

Air gun Trigger Wood Gun barrel Gun accessory

Crankset Bicycle tire Automotive tire Bicycle fork Bicycle chain

Wood Gas Bumper Hardwood Auto part

Attachments

· Premium Member
3,341 Posts
Larry, I'm enjoying reading your posts and viewing the pictures. Add me to the list of those who really admire your work.

I'm close to 78 and, like you, really enjoy building stocks (for my own guns). Hope your health holds up.

I believe that you have mentioned in some of your posts that you use a 1/2" router for the receiver and a 1/4" router for the barrel channel. If you have posted on some of the tools you use for shaping the outside of the stock, I would be grateful for link(s) to those posts. In the past I've used various hand tools, such as planes, spokeshaves, etc., but because of arthritis, I need to do more of the shaping with power tools.

· Registered
1,958 Posts
Discussion Starter · #907 · (Edited)
Larry, I'm enjoying reading your posts and viewing the pictures. Add me to the list of those who really admire your work.

I'm close to 78 and, like you, really enjoy building stocks (for my own guns). Hope your health holds up.

I believe that you have mentioned in some of your posts that you use a 1/2" router for the receiver, then a 1/4" router for the barrel channel. If you have posted on some of the tools you use for shaping the outside of the stock, I would be grateful for link(s) to those posts. In the past I've used various hand tools, such as planes, spokeshaves, etc., but because of arthritis, I need to do more of the shaping with power tools.
Hello, thanks for following my work. You’ll just have to dig around in my posts for more information. Arthritis is starting to work on me also, sometimes worse than others. I’ll be 77 this year.
Most of my rough shaping is done with a table saw and small bandsaw. I use my saws to cut the lumber into the basic shape for the blank stock. After gluing the blank together, my next step is doing the inletting. I use a 1/2 router to cut the receiver and trigger inlet and a 1/4 router to cut the barrel channel. The angle area in front of the magazine and the the back 1/2” of the trigger is cut with a dramel tool.
The pillar installation is done with the help from my table top drill press.
the majority of my rough detailed shaping is done with a flap disk on an angle grinder and my 4” belt sander. For the thumbhole stocks, I will use a die grinder to shape the hole.
After all that, I’ll start doing my finish sanding with my hand electric sanders, a dramel tool and sandpaper with a sanding block. Most of my stocks will be sanded to 500 grit.
Larry

· Premium Member
3,341 Posts
Hello, thanks for following my work. You’ll just have to dig around in my posts for more information. Arthritis is starting to work on me also, sometimes worse than others. I’ll be 77 this year.
Most of my rough shaping is done with a table saw and small bandsaw first. I use my saws to cut the lumber into the basic shape for the blank stock. After gluing the blank together, my next step is doing the inletting. I use a 1/2 router to cut the receiver and trigger inlet and a 1/4 router to cut the barrel channel.
The majority of my rough detailed shaping is done with a flap disk on an angle grinder and my 4” belt sander. For the thumbhole stocks, I will use a die grinder to shape the hole.
After all that, I’ll start doing my finish sanding with my hand electric sanders, a dramel tool and sandpaper with a sanding block.
Most of my stocks will be sanded to 500 grit.
Larry
Thanks for the reply. You answered my question, but as I go back and read past posts of your thread, I will keep my eyes open for more power tool usage.

I need to look for some of these tools, like a flap disk for my angle grinder and a die grinder. This past year I have used my small orbital sanders to replace a lot of hand sanding. Over the years I have accumulated so many tools that I sometimes forget that I have some of them.

· Registered
1,958 Posts
Discussion Starter · #909 · (Edited)
Thanks for the reply. You answered my question, but as I go back and read past posts of your thread, I will keep my eyes open for more power tool usage.

I need to look for some of these tools, like a flap disk for my angle grinder and a die grinder. This past year I have used my small orbital sanders to replace a lot of hand sanding. Over the years I have accumulated so many tools that I sometimes forget that I have some of them.
When l bought the angle grinder a couple years ago, I purchased the cheapest harbor freight had, thinking it probably wouldn’t work for what I needed, but that’s one of my most used tools.
The die grinder will remove wood very fast, but you have to watch it, you can end up with a sore wrist very quickly, if the bit grabs.
just so you know.
larry

· Premium Member
3,341 Posts
I found some angle grinder accessories on Amazon. The flap disks were relatively cheap - about $21 for 20. Found a Kutzall attachment that looks like it would work really well but it's $65, which is more than I paid for my angle grinder. There was a neat video on the Kutzall that you might enjoy. I probably will just go with the flap disks and maybe some burrs for an electric drill.

Thanks for your help.

· Registered
1,958 Posts
Discussion Starter · #913 ·
I found some angle grinder accessories on Amazon. The flap disks were relatively cheap - about $21 for 20. Found a Kutzall attachment that looks like it would work really well but it's $65, which is more than I paid for my angle grinder. There was a neat video on the Kutzall that you might enjoy. I probably will just go with the flap disks and maybe some burrs for an electric drill.

Thanks for your help.
I use my angle grinder when I need to remove a lot of wood, like making a thumbhole stock or a sporter. haven’t checked out the accessories you can get.
larry

· Registered
1,958 Posts
Discussion Starter · #914 ·
STOCK 234 HICKORY CHARGER
l got a chance to work on the stock this afternoon. Hickory is a very hard wood. My little bandsaw was straining, try to cutting this stuff.
Went to the range this morning. It’s been a beautiful November day in Missouri (62 degrees) .
here’s a few pictures of my progress.
Wood Asphalt Road surface Soil Natural material

Wood Road surface Asphalt Tints and shades Hardwood

Wood Composite material Building material Gas Rectangle

Wood Wall Rectangle Brick Gas

l did do a little sanding also
Wood Natural material Grass Table Hardwood

Wood Table Air gun Trigger Hardwood

· Premium Member
46 Posts
l got a chance to work on the stock this afternoon. Hickory is a very hard wood. My little bandsaw was straining, try to cutting this stuff.
Went to the range this morning. It’s been a beautiful November day in Missouri (62 degrees) .
View attachment 346274
View attachment 346275
View attachment 346276
View attachment 346277

View attachment 346283
View attachment 346284
View attachment 346274
View attachment 346275
View attachment 346276
View attachment 346277

View attachment 346283
View attachment 346284
Beautiful, Larry! The pics of the build show the piece of wood coming alive. What an artist!

901 - 920 of 986 Posts