Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner
861 - 880 of 986 Posts

· Registered
1,958 Posts
Discussion Starter · #862 ·
That is awesome!!!
The build threads come together quickly, how long does it actually take start to finish?
I’m not one of those guys that spends months working on a project. I usually take pictures of my progress every day. Some builds involve more time than others especially if it’s one of those days when everything causes problems. I’ll probably average around 15 hours on the build, not counting applying a finish.
larry

· Registered
2,121 Posts
That is awesome!!!
The build threads come together quickly, how long does it actually take start to finish?
Man he finished my stock very quickly, and had personal things to deal with in the middle of it. Actually made me feel bad because my projects, when i do something for someone.....i'm not the fastest for sure. He hammered out my stock in record time.

· Registered
101 Posts
I was on tap for one recently, but I "was reminded" ;) that I had just purchased several pistols, a few bills of ammo and reloading stuff, and haven't paid off Christmas yet.

He does them so well, so quickly! It's amazing. But I guess after over 200, you really know what you're doing.

Andy

· Registered
1,958 Posts
Discussion Starter · #868 ·
That is a nice looking stock. Out of curiosity, what rotary hand tool do you use?
Thanks for checking out my work. I have two, one is from Harbor Freight. It has a motor and a 3 foot , flexible tube with a 1/8“ chuck on the end, for the small sanding drums. The other is an inexpensive, dramel type I purchased from Amazon.
l also use a 1/4” die grinder with a speed reducer ( for the thumbhole stocks) and an angle grinder with a flop disk, from harbor freight also.
larry

· Registered
4,169 Posts
I have a 1/4" Craftsman die grinder I bought back in the ' 70's. It is all metal and gets hot enough to need gloves to hold it pretty quickly so I borrow my son's much newer Dewalt that doesn't get hot at all when I do a stock .I use a right angle Ward's grinder from the same era with a sanding pad also and a dremel with a shaft for the small spots. It seems we think along the same lines for stock making tools although I have only made them for my use. I also use a small mill for inletting.

I am pretty well satisfied with all my rifles now and haven't made a stock in about four years. but have made a few sets of pistol grips and have one set cut out and waiting right now A belt sander does most of the work and a dremel gets me close enough for hand sanding.

· Registered
1,958 Posts
Discussion Starter · #870 · (Edited)
I have a 1/4" Craftsman die grinder I bought back in the ' 70's. It is all metal and gets hot enough to need gloves to hold it pretty quickly so I borrow my son's much newer Dewalt that doesn't get hot at all when I do a stock .I use a right angle Ward's grinder from the same era with a sanding pad also and a dremel with a shaft for the small spots. It seems we think along the same lines for stock making tools although I have only made them for my use. I also use a small mill for inletting.

I am pretty well satisfied with all my rifles now and haven't made a stock in about four years. but have made a few sets of pistol grips and have one set cut out and waiting right now A belt sander does most of the work and a dremel gets me close enough for hand sanding.
I do my receiver inletting with my big 1/2” router and the barrel channel with my 1/4 router. I know it’s not gonna be as perfect as a mill, but it works for me.
If everything goes like it’s supposed to, it takes about 45 minutes to do everything but the back of the trigger, the front of the magazine and the front 1/2“ of the barrel channel. That is done small dramel type stuff.
Gas Folding table Grass Groundcover Composite material

· Registered
1,958 Posts
Discussion Starter · #875 ·
STOCK 233 WALNUT BENCHREST
l’m getting setup to start on a walnut benchrest build. Since most of my work is done outside, things are going kinda slow because it’s been below freezing almost every day.
The stock is cut out, glued together and prepped for cutting the inlet.
Here’s a few pictures
Larry
Hand tool Wood Wrench Metalworking hand tool Tool

Wood Composite material Rectangle Building material Concrete

Wood Composite material Hardwood Rectangle Flooring

Wood Bumper Composite material Asphalt Automotive exterior

Wood Metal Composite material Concrete Building material

Table Wood Automotive tire Plank Hardwood

· Registered
1,958 Posts
Discussion Starter · #879 · (Edited)
Thanks guys for the comments, I do this for fun, I’m not doing it to make a living. I don’t want anyone to be disappointed when they are spending their money, that doesn’t go very far today. A guy deserves to get his money‘s worth and that just doesn’t happen very often now days.
larry

861 - 880 of 986 Posts