Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner
561 - 580 of 661 Posts

·
Registered
2,487 Posts
Discussion Starter · #561 · (Edited)
🔴🔴 STOCK 218 🔴🔴

Here's a few pictures of my progress today. I installed the pillar and the bedding at the back of the action and did quite a bit of shaping. The bottom of the forearm will have to be worked on another day because the epoxy will need curing time before I can do any sanding.

·
Registered
2,487 Posts
Discussion Starter · #564 ·
I love that blond wood. Very nice!

What does the wide fore stock do, besides fit a man's hand better?

Thanks.

Andy
Hey Andy, the bench style stock is the best shape for shooting with a front and rear rest. The flat forearm and a thin bottom on the buttstock gives the shooter the best stability and constant accuracy. You also need a solid bench.
Thanks for commenting on my build.
Larry

·
Registered
2,487 Posts
Discussion Starter · #568 ·
Outstanding Larry. That birdseye maple is going to pop big time with Truoil.

Best!
Jim
Hey Jim
This is gonna be a pretty stock. The maple has a beautiful grain. I have about six coats of Truoil on it and I'll probably need that many more. I want it to be nice and smooth. It has a little striping and that will take more coats.
Larry

·
Premium Member
6,927 Posts
Outstanding Larry. That birdseye maple is going to pop big time with Truoil.

Best!
Jim
Hey Jim
This is gonna be a pretty stock. The maple has a beautiful grain. I have about six coats of Truoil on it and I'll probably need that many more. I want it to be nice and smooth. It has a little striping and that will take more coats.
Larry
Your really tempting me to do another build with this one. I don't have any blonde stocks.

·
Registered
2,487 Posts
Discussion Starter · #570 · (Edited)
Your really tempting me to do another build with this one. I don't have any blonde stocks.
I'll be posting pictures of the finished stock in a few days. It's gonna be a nice one. This birdseye maple is leftover from a couple stocks I built in 2019. Number 138 and 139. The lumber came from a friend, he's a custom cabinet builder that does a lot of high end cabinets.
My hardwood lumber guys where I buy most of my wood, hardly ever get any birdseye. They do have a lot of exotic stuff though, if you can afford it.
Larry

·
Premium Member
306 Posts
Hey Jim
Larry
Sounds good. I've still got a bit of work to do on mine, I'll have to post up when I finally get it done. hopefully soon. I really LOVE mine, but that birdseye is very, very nice as well. Pics when ya can my friend!

Do it. :D

·
Registered
2,487 Posts
Discussion Starter · #575 · (Edited)
🔴🔴 STOCK 218 🔴🔴

Here's a few pictures of the finished stock. I think it has 12 or 13 coats of truoil. Sorry, the pictures aren't that great, this is a beautiful stock in natural light.
Larry

561 - 580 of 661 Posts