Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner
501 - 520 of 661 Posts

·
Registered
2,487 Posts
Discussion Starter · #501 · (Edited)
🔴🔴 Stock 216 🔴🔴

Pretty cool bullpup! I have always liked the idea of having a bullpup, but I shoot with my left eye. Most of them don't really agree with me. Oh well....

tom
Hey Tom, this is a first for me. It will be something my family can talk about, when I'm gone. I can't say I really like the shape, but it's just something I've wanted to see if I could build one.
Thanks for checking out this unusual build.
Larry

·
Registered
2,487 Posts
Discussion Starter · #502 · (Edited)
🔴🔴 STOCK 216 🔴🔴

Today, I got the top cut out and glued together. After placing the scope on the top, I'll need to lower it about 1/4 inch so the red dot will look like it should. Building this thing has been a lot more work than a regular stock and I still have a ways to go.
Larry

·
Premium Member
6,932 Posts
Definitely different, looks like it would be a very challenging stock to do. I know it's probably too late now but maybe there a way you can attach the optic rail to the barrel with some bar stock or something. Not sure how well it will work out being screwed into the wood? Just a suggestion, I know you don't need anyone to tell you how to do anything when it comes to stock making.

·
Registered
2,487 Posts
Discussion Starter · #504 ·
Definitely different, looks like it would be a very challenging stock to do. I know it's probably too late now but maybe there a way you can attach the optic rail to the barrel with some bar stock or something. Not sure how well it will work out being screwed into the wood? Just a suggestion, I know you don't need anyone to tell you how to do anything when it comes to stock making.
Your probably right about the sight on the wood, but I tried a mount on the barrel and didn't care for that. I'm just doing this for fun anyway, I will take it out to see how it will shoots and then I'll put it up and may never shoot it again, unless one of my grandkids wants to give it a try. With the sight being so far from the barrel, it can't be too accurate.
What would be great is an extension rail that would mount on the receiver. I don't know if anything like that exists.
Who knows, I may get rid of the top piece of wood and try a barrel mount later. I really don't know what I'm doing with this build.
Larry

·
Registered
2,487 Posts
Discussion Starter · #506 ·
That is what makes it so cool. Your willingness to try different off the wall ideas.
It's not the prettiest firearm, I just hope it will function like it's supposed to. The sights being so high is the part I don't like, but that's the way it's gotta be.
Thanks for commenting, I really enjoyed guys giving me their opinion.
Larry

·
Registered
2,487 Posts
Discussion Starter · #507 ·
STOCK 216

I finished sanding on the stock and did the cut out for the bolt. I put a coat of ebony stain on the walnut, just to darken it a little more, the cap on the end is maple. The darkened walnut makes in look kinda cool looking. My scope is just setting there to take the pictures, I guess I need to decide where I'm gonna place it.
Larry

·
Registered
2,487 Posts
Discussion Starter · #509 · (Edited)
That looks really cool, how is the trigger pull with your wood linkage?
It actually feels pretty smooth, but I haven't put a live action into the stock yet. The action I use for my building doesn't have anything in the trigger housing but the trigger and the spring behind it. I also plan on using a light spring in front of the wooden trigger, to take out any movement, there will be light pressure against the trigger at all times. There's still a lot of things I have to work out before I can actually run a live round through it.
Mounting the red dot scope to the wood on top of the barrel could be a problem. There's also another problem with that wood cover, it warped a little when I applied the ebony oil stain. I may have to build another cover.
Larry

·
Premium Member
5,448 Posts
Really difficult to do something truly unique these days.

You know I love classic styled rifles but if you're gonna go creative I say go hard and it looks like you knocked this one out. Bravo!!

·
Registered
2,487 Posts
Discussion Starter · #515 ·
Really difficult to do something truly unique these days.

You know I love classic styled rifles but if you're gonna go creative I say go hard and it looks like you knocked this one out. Bravo!!
Thanks for checking out this build. There's quite a learning curve when your doing something that's completely different than the norm. I'm hoping everything is gonna work like it should, but I haven't had a complete action in this thing yet. My reason is, I don't have a complete action assembled. My actions are for my building. I have an OEM barrel, receiver without a bolt and a trigger assembly, with only a trigger. This is only for building a stock with the factory tapered barrel. My other two actions are about the same. One is a factory receiver, without the bolt assembly and an empty trigger assembly. This has a green mountain bull barrel attached.
The only other action I have is a Brownells receiver, with a bull barrel and another empty trigger group.
I do have a lot of spare parts and I have a new Brownells receiver and a stripped trigger, with the safety installed. A friend is building me a carbon fiber barrel, so when I put all the pieces together, I should have a shooting action.
Larry

·
Registered
2,487 Posts
Discussion Starter · #516 · (Edited)
🪀🪀 STOCK 215, WALNUT SPORTER 🪀🪀

I built this 10/22 sporter stock a while back, the wood is walnut, with a maple burl nosecap and grip cap. It looks kinda different, but is very comfortable to hold.

501 - 520 of 661 Posts