Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i could have sworn i recently saw a drop-in "last round bolt hold open" but i forget which catalog i saw it in! maybe shotgun news???

for those who don't know, this would automatically hold your bolt back after the last round was fired. you would insert a new mag then hit the bolt release and the bolt would go forward, loading a round into the chamber.

i thought i had struck gold with this sight: http://www.cstmtech.com/index.php3?pageid=12

but you have to have their specially modified magazine to make it work... :(

any chance anyone else saw this recently???

·
Registered
842 Posts
CST 10/22 Automatic Bolt Stop + Mag*

Until now there has not been a successful means to perform a last shot bolt hold-open function in the Ruger 10/22. The reason for this is due to the rotary design of the 10/22 magazines. Unlike other semi-auto firearms with a bolt hold-open function, the 10/22 magazines have no tripping mechanism built into the magazine follower. The CST Auto-Bolt Stop with its patented "Passive Activation" function overcomes this by eliminating the need to interact with the magazine follower. Instead, the mechanism interacts directly with a cartridge in the magazine. If a cartridge is present in the magazine, then the mechanism allows the free movement of the bolt's forward movement. Once there is an absence of a cartridge, the mechanism rotates to block the forward travel of the bolt. The magazine or the magazine follower is irrelevant to the bolt stop's function. This allows the CST Auto-Bolt Stop to work with or without an empty magazine in place, making it arguably the safest bolt stop design in the world. This product comes with ONE modified factory magazine. Additional magazines may be purchased.

*Shipping may be delayed up to 1 week.

Product # cst1022abs
$54.95
link

You can modify you own factory mags to work with it, no biggie

Hawkteck, a distributor is better priced and includes shipping.

·
Registered
25 Posts
For cheap, put me down for two!

Just a couple of stamped parts, two springs, a screw, a spacer, probably only cost pennies. Ripoff!

The stamped parts even look like the bolt hold-open and the ejector -- not much modification, a little more here and a little less there. They do bolt together, unlike the stock parts. And that spring, kind of tensions their movement together -- the stock parts don't do that. There's a lever that limits the movement (wonder why that's there). It does drop into the trigger group -- with the variables there, that's a trick in itself. With the space limits, they couldn't beef it up much, so those stamped parts are hardened.

Someone must have fooled with this a while to get it to work. Even had the sense to use a factory magazine for the modification. Packaging. Advertizing. (How many thousand had to be sold just to break even on the tooling?)

Bottom line: if you want a 10/22 to act like a normal semi-auto when it runs dry, you're gonna have to pay the piper. But if you have something cheap that works, I'll take two.

BTW: Some retailers are dumping stock. I got one for $45 at Sportsman's Guide a few months back and just picked up one for $33 on ebay. They will probably be worth a lot more than $50 (used) when they are no longer made (if they still are). But Ruger could render the whole discussion moot by just incorporating the modifications into a 10/22 MII.

John

·
Registered
526 Posts
The one thing I have heard on these was that you needed to be easy with them when releasing the bolt and manually locking the bolt open. Seems the metal they make these from, the shape edges of the bolt will have no problem chewing the linkage up rather easy.

·
Registered
608 Posts
Great product BUT won't work with a Kidd trigger group. I had a CST auto bolt hold open for a while but i sold it and invested the funds in a Kidd - never looked back

·
Registered
39 Posts
BlockWalker said:
Just a couple of stamped parts, two springs, a screw, a spacer, probably only cost pennies. Ripoff!

Stamping dies aren't cheap. I don't know what kind of sales he has and how many units it takes to amortize the tooling, but depending on volume, the price could be quite reasonable. I agree it seems pricy, but for me it's worth it.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.