Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner

Laser Range finder recommendations

457 Views 6 Replies 7 Participants Last post by  Zircon
I'm looking for a range finder. I know next to nothing about them, but I've used a freind's before. I need to range no farther than maybe 400 yds, and I have no clue as to what features are needed for varmint hunting. Also, can they be used at night, like when hunting coyotes and foxes?? Thanks for the help, guys.

steve
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Registered
258 Posts
I used to have a bushnell 400 4x but have a neck injury and its size got to me liked it sold it for 80 bucks replaced it with a nikon 400 with an 8x like it better fits in shirt pocket.For varmits youll want higher power the bushnell wouldnt work on deer at 400 but elk it would. I've used the nikon on jacks at 300.
may work farther? The smaller the target the hardder it is to read sometimes ill read a larger near by object.
Also the nikon is more accurate.
midway gives a descent discription. Theres many more out there leicia's rectical glows red and may work at night the others are led black. Hope I helped but thats all I know.

· Registered
1,870 Posts
steve

I do beleive they will work in the dark because they use and infurred beam. I have a bushnell 500 and i do believe the instructions said the lower the light conditions the better.

· Registered
262 Posts
I have a Leica RF 800, and it works under all conditions. It has an LED readout, that is always visible. Some rangefinders have an LCD readout that is not always useful in dark or low light conditions.

So far, my RF has been able to give me a sighting on everything. Sometimes it will take a couple of tries. But once you're used to it it's a dream.

· Registered
321 Posts
gander

I have used a Leica RF as well.A good friend of mine has one and it is top notch.But,I spent my money on one that works just like the Leica,same red dot for aiming and everything,and this one will give you the option to have it compensate for uphill and downhill shots up to 75 deg.Works awesome out of a deer stand,and I'm sure would be very valuable if you live in an area with a lot of hills.It doesn't sound like it would make a lot of difference but for an example:If I stand next to the trunk of the tree I hunt from and range something for 20 yds,then run my climber up to say 20 feet and range the same spot,I would have to shoot that spot for 18 yds.Now I realize this means nothing for a gun,but 2 yds can make a dif with a bow,and the farther you get out or the steeper the angle,the farther off you'll be.These are made by Opti-logic,they are based in Georgia I believe.Just somethin to think about.:rolleyes:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.