Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,713 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just an FYI

This is the first time I have ever seen any Lapua Center-x ammo on the shelves of an LGS in the 45 years I have lived in this area. The local Scheel's had some on-hand @ 14.99 / box of 50 ( minus a veterans discount ) so I picked up a few boxes to try in my Anschutz, CZ, & Sako bench rifles. That is $5 / box more than I've ever paid for "my typical level" match ammo but wanted to see if there is any noticeable difference over the SK Pistol & Rifle Match.

·
Premium Member
1,007 Posts
It would have to be single hole 10 round groups at 100 yards for me to pay that much for a box of .22lr...no wind, optimal conditions, lets not over read that. I get better results from two of my best rifles (one of them a Vudoo) at 100 yards with SK Pistol match (two lots), than I did with SK Rifle match (also two lots).

I have a silhouette "critter" match this weekend, standing unsupported...most likely I'll use Norma Tac-22, since my standing unsupported game isn't good enough to take advantage of "slightly better" SKPM...haven't decided what rifle I'm going to use, probably Anschutz 1712AV.

·
Registered
80 Posts
My limited experience is that Center X hold up very well 100yds and beyond.

My best results (stars aligned, the Rimfire gods smiled upon me) with it was a 1.94” five shot group at 280yds. That was my first group at that distance that day and I decided to quit while I was ahead.

I hate spending that much on ammo, but I love being able to count on consistency. It lets me know when I’m doing something wrong.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
5,781 Posts
No variety of match ammo should be described monolithically. That is to say from one lot to another there is no variety of match ammo that behaves in the same way. Lot variation is real. In this case, different lots of CX may perform differently from others lots.

It's worth noting not all lots of any variety of match ammo -- be it, in the case of Lapua, X-Act, Midas +, or CX -- will shoot single hole ten-shot groups, even with the best barrels.

Furthermore, very few lots of match ammo will reliably shoot any great number of consistent single hole ten-shot groups one after the other, especially outdoors with potential shooter error in the mix, and even more especially with sporter rifles.

·
Premium Member
1,007 Posts
No variety of match ammo should be described monolithically. That is to say from one lot to another there is no variety of match ammo that behaves in the same way. Lot variation is real. In this case, different lots of CX may perform differently from others lots.

It's worth noting not all lots of any variety of match ammo -- be it, in the case of Lapua, X-Act, Midas +, or CX -- will shoot single hole ten-shot groups, even with the best barrels.

Furthermore, very few lots of match ammo will reliably shoot any great number of consistent single hole ten-shot groups one after the other, especially outdoors with potential shooter error in the mix, and even more especially with sporter rifles.
Miss the point much? $15/box .22lr ammo better dang sure perform SIGNIFICANTLY better than $5/box ammo. Did I spell that out well enough for you to understand?

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
Miss the point much? $15/box .22lr ammo better dang sure perform SIGNIFICANTLY better than $5/box ammo. Did I spell that out well enough for you to understand?
And it will, OVER THE LONG HAUL. The price difference in .22 match ammo is unrelated to the best group and directly related to consistency over MANY shots. Even lower grades can shoot great five shot groups on occasion, but not nearly as reliably has the higher grade ammo. (I get a "flier" about 1-2 shots per brick with SK Std +, but have had my first from 4 bricks of Center X). Yep, still sucks when you get one, but for me it is not worth the next jump in price to get rid of one flier that seldom.

·
Premium Member
1,007 Posts
And it will, OVER THE LONG HAUL. The price difference in .22 match ammo is unrelated to the best group and directly related to consistency over MANY shots. Even lower grades can shoot great five shot groups on occasion, but not nearly as reliably has the higher grade ammo. (I get a "flier" about 1-2 shots per brick with SK Std +, but have had my first from 4 bricks of Center X). Yep, still sucks when you get one, but for me it is not worth the next jump in price to get rid of one flier that seldom.
I'm not going to spend $15/box of 50 rounds when $5/box of 50 rounds does almost as well. If you're shooting a $20k bench rest rifle in a serious world class competition, it can be justified. That's up to people doing it. "Fliers" for the vast majority of shooters are caused by the loose nut connecting the stock to the trigger. I'm not discounting better ammo, but most people don't have the skill to gain the advantage it can bring.

For another comment in this thread about "sporter" rifles...shake my head. My Vudoo isn't a "sporter" rifle...it's also not a world class bench rest rifle. When I hear someone say "sporter" I think box store off the shelf repeater. Anschutz has "sporter" class rifles, they are amazing in the right hands. Put the absolute best rifle with the absolute best ammo in the hands of an "average" shooter, a better shooter will beat them with lesser equipment and ammo...every time. I'm not saying garbage equipment and garbage ammo.

·
Registered
80 Posts
I assume a much better shooter than I could shoot a box of crappy ammo and call out every flier.

I will wonder if it was the ammo, wind, or me.
When making a deliberate effort to focus on my fundamentals, it really helps having a lot of ammo that is proven to be consistent. It allows me diagnose what I need to work on. I mean, I don't have deep pockets, but I haven't found that magical box of Aguila yet.

If I'm approaching this all wrong, someone please correct me.

edit: OP, let us know how it goes!

·
Registered
33 Posts
Just an FYI

This is the first time I have ever seen any Lapua Center-x ammo on the shelves of an LGS in the 45 years I have lived in this area. The local Scheel's had some on-hand @ 14.99 / box of 50 ( minus a veterans discount ) so I picked up a few boxes to try in my Anschutz, CZ, & Sako bench rifles. That is $5 / box more than I've ever paid for "my typical level" match ammo but wanted to see if there is any noticeable difference over the SK Pistol & Rifle Match.
You wont be sorry. Assuming you rifles agree with this ammo your groups should improve with fewer flyers,

·
Registered
539 Posts
It would have to be single hole 10 round groups at 100 yards for me to pay that much for a box of .22lr...no wind, optimal conditions, lets not over read that. I get better results from two of my best rifles (one of them a Vudoo) at 100 yards with SK Pistol match (two lots), than I did with SK Rifle match (also two lots).

I have a silhouette "critter" match this weekend, standing unsupported...most likely I'll use Norma Tac-22, since my standing unsupported game isn't good enough to take advantage of "slightly better" SKPM...haven't decided what rifle I'm going to use, probably Anschutz 1712AV.
Do you mind posting lot numbers? Just curious if what I have shoots well for others.
Thank you

·
Registered
261 Posts
I've got a couple of bricks of CX that have flyers, and I've been through one brick that was pure magic. So it does work both ways. But, on average CX is good stuff. In my experience, average CX is better than average SK RM, which is better than average SK Std+. Which is better than the average CCI SV, and I'll never buy any aguila ever again. LOL.

·
Premium Member
5,781 Posts
It would have to be single hole 10 round groups at 100 yards for me to pay that much for a box of .22lr...no wind, optimal conditions,
It seems you're trying to have your cake and eat it too.

Establishing unrealistic crieteria to justify $15-a-box ammo doesn't add to the discussion.

A ten-shot single hole group at 100 yards is sufficiently small so as to make them relatively uncommon, certainly not regular.

Inexpensive ammo, the $5 per box kinds, will not usually produce consistent results at 100 and so has little practical relevance.

·
Premium Member
5,781 Posts
I've got a couple of bricks of CX that have flyers, and I've been through one brick that was pure magic. So it does work both ways. But, on average CX is good stuff. In my experience, average CX is better than average SK RM, which is better than average SK Std+.
This is a good observation. There are good, above average bricks of CX, but most are average, some below.

I had one particularly good lot of CX last year (with one brick remaining for this season). In calm conditions only, I shot a total of 89 ten-shot groups at 100 yards with two rifles (58 groups with one 31 with the other). Overall, the average ten-shot group size was just under 0.930", with both rifles shooting nearly identical averages.

No other CX lot of the eight I tested has been as consistently good. Most had ten-shot 100 yard averages over 1.200", with one so poor that it was closer to 2" (with very poor chronograph numbers to help explain why).

·
Registered
4,681 Posts
I'm not going to spend $15/box of 50 rounds when $5/box of 50 rounds does almost as well. If you're shooting a $20k bench rest rifle in a serious world class competition, it can be justified. That's up to people doing it. "Fliers" for the vast majority of shooters are caused by the loose nut connecting the stock to the trigger. I'm not discounting better ammo, but most people don't have the skill to gain the advantage it can bring.
Don't see anyone saying you have to spend more. However, it's not just World Class BR shooters who can justify the expense; many club and regional-level Prone and 3-Position shooters will shoot Centre-X and Midas (and equivalents from Eley and RWS). Nobody likes paying more for ammo, but if "almost as well" won't shoot one's normal score (or hold the 10-ring/X-ring) it's a false economy. On average the higher grade will shoot tighter (maybe not 2x or 3x tighter), but enough to give me leeway for mistakes.

I have a Match coming up, and could save about £10 by using Eley Sport rather than Match, but my scores would suffer and I'd waste £20 entry and the fuel to get there; pennywise but pound foolish. Now, saving a little less by using Match rather than Tenex may be viable.

However, if I wasn't shooting competitively, without the arbitrary measures of scoring rings, or if I shot to a lower standard, I probably couldn't justify the cost of Match ammo either.

·
Premium Member
1,007 Posts
Do you mind posting lot numbers? Just curious if what I have shoots well for others.
Thank you

I don't have lot numbers for the SKRM, that stuff is long gone. The two lots of SKPM are 06556/11224 and 14756/12803. The first lot is around 9fps slower out of my Vudoo than the second lot. First lot average across the MagnetoSpeed V3 was 1083fps, second lot (not the same day, a little warmer) was 1092fps. The both have been pretty consistent with SD, first lot 7.2fps, second lot 5.8fps. That was shooting 10 round strings off the bench, two boxes tested from each.

·
Premium Member
1,007 Posts
It seems you're trying to have your cake and eat it too.

Establishing unrealistic crieteria to justify $15-a-box ammo doesn't add to the discussion.

A ten-shot single hole group at 100 yards is sufficiently small so as to make them relatively uncommon, certainly not regular.

Inexpensive ammo, the $5 per box kinds, will not usually produce consistent results at 100 and so has little practical relevance.
You've still missed my point.

·
Premium Member
1,007 Posts
Don't see anyone saying you have to spend more. However, it's not just World Class BR shooters who can justify the expense; many club and regional-level Prone and 3-Position shooters will shoot Centre-X and Midas (and equivalents from Eley and RWS). Nobody likes paying more for ammo, but if "almost as well" won't shoot one's normal score (or hold the 10-ring/X-ring) it's a false economy. On average the higher grade will shoot tighter (maybe not 2x or 3x tighter), but enough to give me leeway for mistakes.

I have a Match coming up, and could save about £10 by using Eley Sport rather than Match, but my scores would suffer and I'd waste £20 entry and the fuel to get there; pennywise but pound foolish. Now, saving a little less by using Match rather than Tenex may be viable.

However, if I wasn't shooting competitively, without the arbitrary measures of scoring rings, or if I shot to a lower standard, I probably couldn't justify the cost of Match ammo either.
I've been shooting competitions for a while, not once off a bench. So, if that helps put my perspective in place, maybe we can get passed my distain for $20/box vs $5/box. Keep in mind though, when I'm on the bench, I'm still competing, just haven't paid an entrance fee and my only competitor is myself...or who ever is with me that day. I shoot a lot. I compete in actual competitions frequently, but positional stuff, where the targets are steel from 15 yards to 300 yards...consistent ammo is important. When we're shooting Rimfire Challenge matches, $5/box ammo gets REALLY expensive...last weekend I went though 550 rounds for one match.

·
Registered
4,681 Posts
I've been shooting competitions for a while, not once off a bench. So, if that helps put my perspective in place, maybe we can get passed my distain for $20/box vs $5/box. Keep in mind though, when I'm on the bench, I'm still competing, just haven't paid an entrance fee and my only competitor is myself...or who ever is with me that day. I shoot a lot. I compete in actual competitions frequently, but positional stuff, where the targets are steel from 15 yards to 300 yards...consistent ammo is important. When we're shooting Rimfire Challenge matches, $5/box ammo gets REALLY expensive...last weekend I went though 550 rounds for one match.
I don't see disdain from any of the other posters, just context.

You know I'm fairly sure I discussed weighing up cost vs accuracy in my post too. If $5 a box ammo gives you the results you want, great! But there's no need for hyperbole because others favour the accuracy end of the equation.

British prone matches are usually shorter than yours (geography plays a part), but with postals, a keen County shot can expect to run through at least 5-10K p.a., so we are conscious of price too. In the US a conventional 4-day match is 640 scoring shots + sighters. Your round count isn't unique although perhaps more compressed.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts