Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an American in 17 HMR- it shoots well enough, but apparently as in many if not all Americans, the stock rubs on the right side- in reading through the threads here, a relatively easy fix is to sand down the barrel channel of the stock on the right until it free floats as it should- now understand that generally with this kind of stuff I'm the King of the Klutz's, although I was able to put in Brookies kit in both the American and the Lux 22 that I have without hurting the guns or myself- are there some guide lines I should follow doing this?- can I make it worse than the way it is now?- I don't have a clue as to what pillar and glass bedding are so that's not an option- if I can make it worse, does anyone make a drop in stock in either laminate or wood (I'm not a fan of synthetic) that would free float the barrel?- or does anyone know a good man in the St Louis Mo area that could do a glass bedding and all the rest?- sorry about the 8 billion questions- thanks for any help here in advance

·
Registered
270 Posts
My opinion would be this:

Since you are considering buying a new stock anyways......try and enlarge the channel.

I am not familiar with the gun you have, so....go buy a small dowel rod and some sand paper.

Wrap the sand paper around the dowel and start sanding away. The dowel will help make things straight.

Worst case senario....you have a reason to get a nice new stock.:D

KillJoy

·
Registered
416 Posts
It's really not a big deal. Sanding the stock to float the barrel is much easier than installing the trigger. Just go easy and check the fit frequently. Somebody who's done this before can do it in 10 minutes. A novice it might take a half hour.

·
Registered
39 Posts
I found a 14mm Craftsman deep socket to be the right thing to wrap some sandpaper around. Just check it regularly and don't sand too close to the action (stop where the cut in the stock gets large where the barrel meets the receiver).

Remember you need to re-seal the wood after sanding. I used Homer Formby's Tung Oil finish (low gloss) and it matches the rest of the stock pretty well (don't get any on the already finished part)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.