Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner

Klinsky Screw Thread ?

545 Views 7 Replies 5 Participants Last post by  Maxicooper
Morning all...

I am curious if anyone already knows the thread size/geometry of the phillips head screws used on the Klinsky stock to secure the cheek and butt plate spacers.

As delivered, the LOP is too long for my daughter and when I removed the 'thick' spacer and replaced it with the 'thin' spacer, the OEM screw was bottoming out/burrowing in on the bottom of the drilled hole. I stopped screwing in the screw once I realized what was happening as I didn't want to split the stock.

Figure I could drill the hole deeper or use a shorter screw and I want to try the different screw route first.

I imagine that for my daughter, I'll need to affix the butt plate directly to the stock and not use ANY spacer....

Thanks in advance - could save me a trip to a hardware store to 'test fit' the threads.

Cheers - Shamr0ck
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
All - I finally made it over to my local fastenal and took the rear butt plate assembly, 2 screws and the barrel nuts along with some measurements.

The screws which came with my stock were M5 x 0.80 x 45mm long.

As a starting point, given her age, i want to remove all the spacers in the butt plate and set the assembly, spacer free against the butt of the rifle. Given the total depth from the butt of the rifle to the deepest part of the hole was just 29mm on my rifle, I needed a far shorter screw than the OEM one. The butt plate assembly 'consumes' a couple mm of screw length so I'm going to start with 20 mm screws as that should be long enough to reach the barrel nut and not extend through the nut and risk splitting the stock.

Fastenal had screws in 5mm length increments and I went ahead and ordered several lengths so I had some on hand as she grows and we need to re-introduce the spacers to maintain proper fit.

I'll update the post with part numbers used once they arrive on Monday of next week.

· Registered
236 Posts
I had to replace mine, but I don't remember the specs on the screws. Odd as it may seem, I went to Ace, pulled out a drawer, and the first ones I tried were the right ones.

I found the easiest way was to take a screw and the little cylinder that it goes into and try to find a match.

· Registered
2,586 Posts
All - I finally made it over to my local fastenal and took the rear butt plate assembly, 2 screws and the barrel nuts along with some measurements.

The screws which came with my stock were M5 x 0.80 x 45mm long.

As a starting point, given her age, i want to remove all the spacers in the butt plate and set the assembly, spacer free against the butt of the rifle. Given the total depth from the butt of the rifle to the deepest part of the hole was just 29mm on my rifle, I needed a far shorter screw than the OEM one. The butt plate assembly 'consumes' a couple mm of screw length so I'm going to start with 20 mm screws as that should be long enough to reach the barrel nut and not extend through the nut and risk splitting the stock.

Fastenal had screws in 5mm length increments and I went ahead and ordered several lengths so I had some on hand as she grows and we need to re-introduce the spacers to maintain proper fit.

I'll update the post with part numbers used once they arrive on Monday of next week.
Thanks for sharing your solution! I have also come to learn the value of my local Fastenal store. They have been an invaluable asset to me in my search for economical remedies for my shooting hardware needs:bthumb:

· Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yep - in fact, I had never heard of them until a mention on this forum (i think in regards to alternatives to the Ace #144 spring) and the young man on the counter yesterday was very helpful.

I opted to leave the rifle at home and just took the hardware / butt plate and am confident that come Monday, I'll have alternative screws which will work just fine.

· Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
All -- sorry for the lag in time to post these details - Here they are for posterity's sake:

Courtesy of Fastenal:

My stock came with M5x0.80x45mm Metric screws but if you need to remove spacers, you run the risk of the stock screws being too long

Length (mm) Fastenal PartNumber
20 ------------ 91220
25 ------------ 91221 <---- I replaced my 45mm screws with two 25mm screws which allowed me to TOTALLY removed ALL the spacers on the butt plate and NOT split the stock
30 ------------ 91222
35 ------------ 91223
40 ------------ 91224

The stock screws are 45 mm long. You've already discovered that if you remove too much of the 'as-delivered' spacers, the stock 45mm long screws bottom out against the stock and you risk splitting the wood - so with these part numbers and the needed spacers, you can order the screws needed to avoid an issue with splitting the stock.

Hope this helps - shamr0ck

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.