Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
7,317 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
There have been a number of discussions here about the dreaded red rubber butt pad that Kimber put on more than a few of its later Model 82s. I recently bought an 82 B/C model from Vertfish, and it had one of those red rubber thingies. It was in perfect condition; however, as I keep my rifles in a safe with a carpeted floor, I was concerned about how they might merge. So what to do?

It occurred to me that a fellow RFCer who has done a number of stocks for me -- ekmarlin-424 -- would be a good guy to talk with about it. I sent him some pics of the stock and asked whether he might be able to replace the red rubber thingie with a nice Macassar Ebony butt plate without compromising the LOP more than maybe 1/8". Evan said not a problem and he could even do a nice checkering job on it. So off the stock went to Evan. I got it back late yesterday and I am VERY pleased with it. :) (y)(y)

Below are some before and after pics.

Doug

Before:

Wood Grass Wood stain Hardwood Metal

Wood Natural material Tool Wood stain Metal

Plant Natural material Wood Terrestrial plant Tints and shades

After:

Insect Pollinator Finger Bicycle part Automotive lighting

Wood Rectangle Publication Wood stain Tints and shades

·
The Mod Squad
6,141 Posts
That turned out great Doug!!!

I have my 82G in that Kimber SSV stock and it looks like part of the (black) pad started melting at one point. I thought it might've happened while in the hot moving truck when I came to Texas a few years ago. But then I remembered I had it at the range since moving here and even found a pic where I could see the butt pad was still good. It was in the hot trunk of my car on the way home from the range. So could've happened then? Anyway, my plan is to have my brother replace the pad. But in meantime I think I'm going to make a simple butt plate on one of my 3D printers. It won't be as nice as what Evan did for you but at least it'll look better than having a pad with the edges that look melted

Reactions: mmsb27

·
Registered
486 Posts
That turned out great Doug!!!

I have my 82G in that Kimber SSV stock and it looks like part of the (black) pad started melting at one point. I thought it might've happened while in the hot moving truck when I came to Texas a few years ago. But then I remembered I had it at the range since moving here and even found a pic where I could see the butt pad was still good. It was in the hot trunk of my car on the way home from the range. So could've happened then? Anyway, my plan is to have my brother replace the pad. But in meantime I think I'm going to make a simple butt plate on one of my 3D printers. It won't be as nice as what Evan did for you but at least it'll look better than having a pad with the edges that look melted

I'd like to see a picture of your 82G in the new stock!

·
The Mod Squad
6,141 Posts
I'd like to see a picture of your 82G in the new stock!
I'd rather not derail Doug's thread too much. So to keep it kind of on topic. Here's the pics I was referring to previously when I shot the rifle after I moved and the butt pad was fine

Air gun Trigger Plant Cannon Shotgun

Machine gun Air gun Trigger Wood Shotgun

Here's the thread I pulled them from...

·
Premium Member
2,595 Posts
I have decided to officially approve your upgrade. I never had a problem owning a rubber pad gun until I saw my first one start to blend carpet fibers into its heel. Since then, I have flipped all of them on their muzzle and talk nice about them when they are in earshot. I think what you did has enhanced the beauty and functionality of the rifle. I will keep that option open for future replacements. Nice vision Doug.

·
Premium Member
2,201 Posts
It's interesting that these decomposing Kimber pads are all occurring approximately at the same time while other pads made by the manufacturer, Pachmayr, many being older, are just fine. Vert's right, keep 'em barrel down.

·
Premium Member
13,017 Posts
My old K22 Hunter with red pad sat on the pad in the gun safe for many years with no problems. That said, I have flipped it barrel down after Vert and Sage advised us to do that.

·
Premium Member
5,462 Posts
Thanks for sharing the pics, Doug! I'm gonna put pics in the stockmaking forum of how it was made.

I tried to figure out how to remove the pad without compromising the pad or the stock, but the pad had to go either way and my priority wasn't damaging the stock itself, so... it got the short end of the stick and the stock came out fine. Turns out they are both glued and screwed on. Good times!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts