Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
608 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Shot a 50 yd 1/2" 10 dot challenge this afternoon. Rifle is my Kimber 82G with Sightron SIII 45x45. Ammo is Eley 10X. Shot off front rest and rear bag. Sort of like hunting field mice at 50yds. Whatta Hobby!

Motor vehicle Shear Machine tool Engineering Gas
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Bumper Automotive exterior Vehicle
Gadget Font Circle Electronic device Audio equipment

·
Registered
27 Posts
Mine was a CMP $400 rusty with no box cutter slash, $700 15X Unertl scope and $300 Tom Myers match trigger. Now if I could just learn to really shoot accurately with it.

UPDATE, 6/12/22 Trouble in paradise.
I have a 'refurbished' Redfield 10X scope from the early 70s and the Unertl. With several different brands of ammo, I shot 5 to 10 rounds at the center dot of a 50 rimfire benchrest target using each scope on different days. The weather conditions were the same on both days. I have cleaned the rife with Bore Tech Eliminator Bore Cleaner, removed any carbon buildup at the front of the chamber, and achieved a clean patch through the barrel.

When shooting, I start with 10 rounds in a target, 3 times to season to season the bore, then shoot 5 shot groups. I try to "zero" the scope during the last 10 shot string. The results are miserably common with both scopes. A 2-1/2" circular pattern with no center hits. There will be tight clusters of 2 to 4 shots in random places on each target separated by 1-1/2" or more. Drop 4 popped popcorn kernels on a plate and you have my 'targets'. I have replacement action screws torqued to 25 inch-lbs. scope bases torqued, scope rings torqued, drawn a level line on backer board and attached a level target, align horizontal cross hair to center dots.

The barrel is free-floated, action appears to have solid wood contact, changing triggers didn't affect anything. Both triggers were under 1#, with no scope movement when squeezing the trigger. I have read many of the "Kimber accuracy" threads on this forum. My next desperation effort is shoot groups with iron sights at 50 yards and mount Athlon 10x - 40x X 56 MM scope that just came Saturday.

I would appreciate the experts starting a conversation with me with their words of wisdom. The last thing I will do is sell the Kimber, all original, the Tom Meyers trigger and Unertl scope on this Forum. I have a very interested buyer in Augusta, GA for the rifle -- a private no sales tax deal locally.

·
Premium Member
30,687 Posts
They were a great deal. I bought most of mine before the “Rusty’s” came out. None of mine have the razor cut.

That is fine looking wood that was under that factory mud finish.

·
Premium Member
608 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
So, here is my practice target for the 50 yd 1/4" 10 dot challenge. Yes, it is humbling. Rifle used is my scoped 82G with ELEY tenex. After sighting in on the first dot I did manage a 0-8, but had to work for it. Me thinks some trigger polishing is in order. Shot off my three legged shooting table with a front rest and rear bag. Whatta Hobby!

Gadget Font Circle Fashion accessory Number

·
Premium Member
608 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Having a ball this morning between wind gusts practicing for the 50 yd 10 dot rimfire challenges. Found my scores have improved since I stopped using The Rock front rest and returned to the bipod.Whatta Hobby!

Plant Air gun Machine gun Trigger Grass
Material property Font Circle Wood Paper

·
Registered
33 Posts
Mine was a CMP $400 rusty with no box cutter slash, $700 15X Unertl scope and $300 Tom Myers match trigger. Now if I could just learn to really shoot accurately with it.

UPDATE, 6/12/22 Trouble in paradise.
I have a 'refurbished' Redfield 10X scope from the early 70s and the Unertl. With several different brands of ammo, I shot 5 to 10 rounds at the center dot of a 50 rimfire benchrest target using each scope on different days. The weather conditions were the same on both days. I have cleaned the rife with Bore Tech Eliminator Bore Cleaner, removed any carbon buildup at the front of the chamber, and achieved a clean patch through the barrel.

When shooting, I start with 10 rounds in a target, 3 times to season to season the bore, then shoot 5 shot groups. I try to "zero" the scope during the last 10 shot string. The results are miserably common with both scopes. A 2-1/2" circular pattern with no center hits. There will be tight clusters of 2 to 4 shots in random places on each target separated by 1-1/2" or more. Drop 4 popped popcorn kernels on a plate and you have my 'targets'. I have replacement action screws torqued to 25 inch-lbs. scope bases torqued, scope rings torqued, drawn a level line on backer board and attached a level target, align horizontal cross hair to center dots.

The barrel is free-floated, action appears to have solid wood contact, changing triggers didn't affect anything. Both triggers were under 1#, with no scope movement when squeezing the trigger. I have read many of the "Kimber accuracy" threads on this forum. My next desperation effort is shoot groups with iron sights at 50 yards and mount Athlon 10x - 40x X 56 MM scope that just came Saturday.

I would appreciate the experts starting a conversation with me with their words of wisdom. The last thing I will do is sell the Kimber, all original, the Tom Meyers trigger and Unertl scope on this Forum. I have a very interested buyer in Augusta, GA for the rifle -- a private no sales tax deal locally.
It could be the ammo. different lots give different results. When I use to take my Jr team to Camp Perry on practice day all we did is try different ammo in all the rifles to determine which shot best in each.Then the kids bought all they could of that lot for their rifle. One year my Son found a great lot of Russian Olymp-R which his gun loved. He shot a perfect 100m prone match with it and he never broke out of the x ring. He had to challenge his target for not enough shots but the backer proved all were there. Try different brands and different lots to find what shoots best.

·
Registered
282 Posts
Engineer1911,not an expert in any way shape or form,just a guy thats shot these rifles some,a couple of suggestion,take a close look at the crown if its fine I would maybe back off the action screws to 15# and go up from there.
While its possible I wouldn't think both scopes would be bad,changing the firing pin spring is something a lot of guys do also to make sure there getting good ignition on the round.
I have two AAM's and two 82g's,had three 82g's at one time sold one to a friend,only one of the 82g's is unfired,all the rest have always shot whatever I put through them in some semblance of a group,so that makes me think its not the ammo.
Do you have other rimfire's that you shoot well,if so its probably not you,not shooting groups with multiple kinds of ammo,probably not ammo,sounds like two decent scope's,probably not scope's,definitely not the trigger,I actually ordered one of Tom's triggers today,I would look hard at the crown,that should narrow it down some.
Hope you get it worked out.

Greg

1 - 14 of 14 Posts