Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just got my Kimber last tuesday and I love it. The bag that it came in wasnt even opened so NO cuts on that beautiful stock. And was doing a service call and found a Winchester 52 made in 42 it is cherry also :D To get back to the Kimber what type of ammo do you all use in general ?, I know all rifles are not the same I just need some help in picking . I am trying to find some wolf match target a gent at the range today said there was a place in Arizona any clue where this might be?O and maby one more tiney questand on the win 52 I need to get some peep sights for it anyone know of the model # for it ? THanks in Advance

·
Registered
829 Posts
Kimber 82

Nimrod

I have a new 82 (about 1 month). It seems to like about anything that you put in it. If you read your book it told you not to use anything but 22lr and do not use the hypervelosity ammo.
I've had pretty good luck out of wolf match target, Lapua master L, and most of the eley's. The wolf is hard to find at times. You will probaly have to get your name on a backorder list somewhere.

I've also heard that Eley Trainer is pretty good too. It sells for about 1.75 per box but I haven't tried any yet.

·
Registered
122 Posts
I've had my gov't model for almost a year now. I put a 6x24x44 in BKL rings on it, and with Remington/Eley club extra, (about $4.00 a box)mine will shoot .25 -.33 all day long. The best group I got was five rounds at .18. I haven't even tried another brand, but this weekend I picked up some tenex/eps. I can't imagine it will shoot any better than it already has. The trigger adjusts so easily, mines down to under 16oz. I bought an HS, at a gunshow two months ago, and I haven't even mounted a scope on it yet. The gov't so fun to shoot off the bench.I'll have it ready for next fall's squirrel season though.

·
Registered
283 Posts
government model

Could I ask where u folks are picking up these government model G82's at, and what the going price is. Was doing a little reading on them, and they seem very nice.

Thanks
Jerry

·
Registered
175 Posts
CCI Standard Velocity seems to be a good round for it. However, I must admit that I didn't try anything else. When all your shots touch at fifty feet, offhand(unslung and no coat or gloves) I'd say the round works.:D

·
Registered
122 Posts
Nthe10ring

I picked mine up off of gunsamerica. I paid less than the $600.00 the CMP charges, and it was brand new never shot with all the accessories. I've heard there is a couple month wait from the CMP.I'm sure Larry could tell you whether or not that is true.
Watch gunsamerica though, you might get lucky. The person I bought mine off wanted $750.00 but came way down because he wanted another gun quick.I love mine. Numrich sells the original stock from kimber for $50.00. I keep thinking about buying one and trying to shape it down to a light varmint/target style sort of like the cooper LVT.

·
Registered
829 Posts
Kimber 82

Alot of these guns where sold to or given to shooting clubs around military bases and 4H shooting teams. Two shooters in my club picked up 2 from around here 1 for 280 and the other for 300. One was a little rough on the outside but other than that it shoots great.
One lady in our club ordered one from CMP and it took her around 9or 10 weeks to get it. like I said it only took me 4 weeks.

·
Registered
36 Posts
My Kimber 82g

I am the one Larry Burchfiel is talking about who got a beat up 82g from a friend who got it from a club. I was the first around my gun club to get one, and I guess I have tried the most different kinds of ammo. All I can tell you for certain is mine does not like any ammo with very high velocity, and I can`t tell you any specific kind it likes best because sometimes it shoots one kind in the same hole, and sometimes another. This weekend I found it started shooting Federal 900 again, I quit it a year or two ago, and had some left, I had been using Lapua Midas L, and it seems to not be doing so well now. Of course the ammo I always thought was the best they quit making was Eley Benchrest Gold. I think Eley Tenex EPS, is what I`ll go back to now. The guy thats beating us now is using something like sk Jahg?? they supposedly make the Wolf, and thats another story Larry Burchfiel gave me my first box of Wolf anf it shot the same hole so I raced around and got 4 bricks and it never shot good again, two in the same hole and one off the paper. Now back to my rifle it wasn`t taken care of and banged up pretty good I guess Larry could tell you if I have the worst looking gun on the line, but I`m afraid if I get it looking good it will quit shooting good, we shoot ARA 25 and BR50 at our club and I have a 36x BSA scope on mine. Outdoor Life April 1998 has a artical The Kimber Story by Jim Carmichel thats really good, (Kimba is an Austrailian aboriginal word for brush fire) only 20,000 Kimber 82G rifles were made for the government, and one line he said in the article is "Showing up at a shooting range with a Kimber was like coming to your 30th class reunion with a sexy babe on your arm- everyone wanted a close look and then wanted one too" Good shooting David

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.