Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Premium Member
59,680 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Any one have any experience with one? I'm wondering how well they shoot, have a Bergara BXR Carbon that shot very well for a while but is currently down for some trouble shooting.

·
Registered
372 Posts
Any one have any experience with one? I'm wondering how well they shoot, have a Bergara BXR Carbon that shot very well for a while but is currently down for some trouble shooting.
Not exactly; but I have an old 10/22 carbine that I re-barreled with a Kidd ULW barrel. The trigger is no Kidd- but it is a BX that has been improved to a near perfect hunting style trigger. The gun is less than 5 pounds- in the raw. It shoots almost as good as my match rifles out to about 100 yards or so. My suspicion is a full Kidd rifle will do even better.

·
Premium Member
1,478 Posts
We have 5 of them, they are great guns. We mostly use them as race rifles in Rimfire Challenge, but I also have one that I put a 4x28 Leupold on for a squirrel rifle, it hasn't been to the squirrel woods yet, got it last fall...weather and work screwed up my season. Hopefully I do better this year, but I know work is going to kill the first month of my season already since I'll be "out of town for business".

·
Administrator & Consigliere
13,448 Posts
I have one- it's on my daughter's custom walnut Pharr clone Silhouette Rifle that my dear friends dbr65 and Azguy donated to her cause. It is an outstanding shooter, definitely keeps the Kidd half-inch at 50 guarantee and has put up groups around .3" with inexpensive SK magazine. I still have yet to do serious testing with it on a better diet such as CenterX or Midas+. I also have several bricks of SKRM to try- lots that have really impressed in my Luxus Tomahawk Supergrade and my Lilja barreled BR Kidd. My 3 LWs are also great, one keeps the guarantee and the other two halve it, .25" is attainable without a lot of effort.

Of course there's the obligatory YMMV ;)

·
Registered
31 Posts
I have 2 16” Kidd ultralight builds.Built one for thewife and I some 7 years back.All Kidd parts.1 stage 2# triggers,Boyd stocks. Both shoot 1/2“ moa or better @ 50 yrds. I also have a couple kid 18 inch and 20 inch match barrels. They shoot even better! But I love the ultralight because it is very light. Under 5 pounds

·
Premium Member
929 Posts
My squirrel gun is a total Kidd ulw. I went from a total Kidd with a 16.5 stainless fluted. You don't have to worry about it shooting, because it will. The only consideration is getting use to the light weight but with practice it will work out.

·
Registered
172 Posts
My Kidd supergrade has worked very well. Occasionally squirt it with dry lube before going out. That is all.

I have a tcr22 also with a kidd ulw barrel that has worked also. A cheaper route if you choose. Just add barrel and kidd trigger kit. Very close in comparison and a cost effective route. Same maintenance routine. Tcr22 is very light and a fully machined 10/22 copy. Resell
factory barrel to bring price down.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I have a HB stainless 20" and the 18" Lightweight aluminum sleeved stainless barrel. Both shoot SK Standard, Match and Long Range match extremely well. Outstanding groups were also achieved with CCI Standard. The 18" Lightweight is a joy to shoot offhand. Bottom line is that I cannot tell a difference in accuracy. The Kidd stuff is as good as it gets in the semi-auto .22 world.

·
Registered
185 Posts
I have a Kidd supergrade that I ordered with the 18 inch bull barrel, unthreaded an no fluting. During my consultation when ordering, they said that this is the barrel that they typically see the best accuracy from. Although at the time I ordered they did not have the MOA guarantee for the 16 inch ULW barrel I asked about it and was told that it will shoot very well also. Since the supergrade is set up for easy barrel changes, I ordered the threaded ULW barrel too since I have suppressors and like to shoot quietly.

I fired several hundred rounds through each barrel and made my appointment at the Lapua test center in Ohio. I was able to attend in person because I live very close. We found a lot of Center X that would shoot sub MOA at 50 and 1.1 MOA at 100 for 10 round groups.

They let me change the barrel to verify its performance on the ULW barrel with a suppressor . The test groups were nearly identical. There was a slight performance advantage to the 18 inch heavy barrel according to their analysis software but we only shot the ULW on 1 ten shot group so it was a small sample size. To the eye, there was no difference.

I was quite pleased to find a lot that shot so well through both barrels. The ULW shoots so well ,and can be suppressed that I cannot even remember the last time I changed to the 18 inch heavy barrel.

I would not hesitate to only order the ULW barrel if I order a other Kidd.

·
Premium Member
59,680 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Exactly my thoughts. Wrong channel.
I think the intent of this thread is for "Ruger" factory stocked, not custom Kidd stuff. Probly more accurate info on the other threads.
I would point out a couple of things, in the absence of a "Kidd Forum" and considering both an Administrator and a Moderator posted in the thread perhaps you gentlemen can forgive me, if not please start a conversation with me. :)

1 - 20 of 21 Posts