Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
1,986 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'd never noticed, but yesterday I found an old vid on YT where Mr. Kidd showed the beveled edges on his 10/22 bolt and stated it makes it easier to assemble and disassemble.

For those who've used bolts with an without this feature, does it work as intended?

Thanks in advance for any feedback, and a safe weekend for all!

·
Premium Member
6,233 Posts
I’ve noticed it is easier to assemble the KIDD bolt and charging handle with it’s beveled edges..but there is no free lunch either, as I’ve also noticed those beveled edges capture and retain some more unburned powder and junk in the action when compared to a bolt without any beveled edges

·
Registered
190 Posts
?? Elaborate some, seems to be a 3 hand job for me, lol
It’s not that tough.
Retract the handle as far as it will go, using both hands. Left hand outside the receiver, right hand (middle finger) inside.
Hold it back with left hand, grab bolt with right hand and drop it in place. Use right thumb to push the bolt down, ease the charging handle forward, hold your tongue just right, and the bolt should snap into place. If not, use your middle finger for another purpose, then start over.
I bought the Gunsmither tool a while back, but hardly reach for it any more. It does work well, and the extractor tool built into it is very handy.

·
Registered
1,986 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thank you all for the replies! I'll add that to the list of things to modify on the bolts. And here I was thinking it was only triggers I was going to work on...

I hope everyone is having a good weekend!

·
Registered
961 Posts
Here's a photo showing a Ruger bolt with rounded edges at the handle slot vs. Kidd bolt heavily chamfered. Just
rounding the edges of a Ruger bolt helps it to slide in much easier onto the handle. The Ruger rounded edges have black marker rubbed onto them. [url=https://imgur.com/m0PY7fN][/URL]

·
Registered
1,609 Posts
Wow, I always thought that putting a bolt in a 10/22 was the easiest bolt to install ever, and there a tool for it? what!?! WHY??? Its literally effortless with or without the handle be captured.

·
Registered
1,986 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Here's a photo showing a Ruger bolt with rounded edges at the handle slot vs. Kidd bolt heavily chamfered. Just
rounding the edges of a Ruger bolt helps it to slide in much easier onto the handle. The Ruger rounded edges have black marker rubbed onto them. [url=https://imgur.com/m0PY7fN][/URL]
Thanks for the reply! As a DIYer, using basic manual tools and a Dremel, I think it would be easier to round them off than put perfect angled bevels on the edges.

Thanks again!

1 - 20 of 29 Posts