Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner

Keeping track of them

397 Views 7 Replies 6 Participants Last post by  M2HB
I don't know how other's keep track of their knives, like what was paid for them, their value, rarity, a little history, what it looks like, whatever.
Or maybe I am just the only person without a life who worries about it.

I used a software program once, but when my computer crashed, it was lost.
But I always had a back up, a bunch of scribbled notes. And I finally started putting them all together, really started getting organized, last fall. I used some record pages carried by AG Russell. He sells them for Knives, shotguns, rifles. Nice, solid paper, not flimsy. On the back of each descriptive page of a knife, is a place for a photo of it. At the same time I do this, I keep the photo on my harddrive along with a few little particulars. And I also download it all onto a memory stick whenever I add another knife. And finally, in case of a real disaster that perhaps my knives survive but my records do not.. All this is stored online as well.

I think you can see the benefit if you ever have to make an insurance claim.

It's pretty amazing, and maybe a little shocking, to see what the total investment is, once all is recorded and totalled up. Wow.

At least my heirs will perhaps not sell them all for $20 at a garage sale.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Premium Member
39,147 Posts
Very nice records. I know what you mean about the total value of your collection shocking you. I tallied mine up and was surprised at the total.

· Premium Member
30,593 Posts
I use a program for all of my valuables. It has purchase price, replacement price, current value, place of purchase, location, date of purchase, description, place of purchase, method of purchase, color, serial number, make, model, type of item (knife, firearm, electronics, etc) etc and it has a place for the picture and in depth description,

· Registered
425 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Good system you have M2HB. I had similar, but lost the program when my computer crashed.

@blademan: Yes, you are correct. My insurance agent, when told, said it was more important that I told here so she could enter it on my policy, than the very small additional premium.

timberbeast you are correct. Probably because the cost of knives is so much less than all the firearms we all probably own, we're surprised at the investment.

· Registered
13,236 Posts
Those are great ideas, my records are just typed in descriptions of the knife and what I paid for them. The knives I purchase on line, I print screen the description. And when I receive the knives, I take pictures of them (hence the photos I post :)).

I was also surprised to see how much $$ is tied up - I better not say anything to wife about shoes is all I'm saying . . . ;)

· Registered
2,763 Posts
I use a program for all of my valuables. It has purchase price, replacement price, current value, place of purchase, location, date of purchase, description, place of purchase, method of purchase, color, serial number, make, model, type of item (knife, firearm, electronics, etc) etc and it has a place for the picture and in depth description,
I use a spread sheet for my firearms. The knives seem to get lost in the shuffle. I honestly don't know what I own unless I handle it and then I don't remember what I paid for the knife or what year it was purchased.

Need to get a bit more organized. There are enough knives that I don't remember owning particular ones anymore and I forget what custom knives I own as well.

· Premium Member
30,593 Posts
Good system you have M2HB. I had similar, but lost the program when my computer crashed.

@blademan: Yes, you are correct. My insurance agent, when told, said it was more important that I told here so she could enter it on my policy, than the very small additional premium.

timberbeast you are correct. Probably because the cost of knives is so much less than all the firearms we all probably own, we're surprised at the investment.
The key is to keep it on a thumb drive and have a couple of copies.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.