Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I currently have two .17HMRs, a Ruger 77/17RM and a Marlin 17V. I bought the Ruger 77/17 because I couldn't find a Marlin 17V. I wanted to Marlin because I have a 882SSV and like it a lot. Since I bought the Ruger first, I have had the time to get attached to it, but now the Marlin came in. I don't think I like the Marlin as much as I thought that I would but I haven't had it long enough to let it grow on me.
In short, I am asking all of you to suggest which gun I should keep and the other one sell. Which one is more accurate? Which one has more after market parts for it? Which one is more suited for varmint/squirrel hunting? Thanks for any help.

·
Registered
630 Posts
slinky21497

You sound like me. At one time I had a number of weapons....26 rifles and 26 handguns. Could not stand it. I wanted
1 rifle 223 Remington 700 bull
1 rifle 223 AR
1 rifle 22 10/22 custom
1 rifle 17 marlin 17VS
two hand guns S&W 9mm and Glock 22 40 cal.
Sold all the others and bought what I wanted. Can not stand to have weapons around that I do not shoot............crazy huh....
Keep the Marlin 17V.........they shoot like crazyyyyyyyyyyyy.

(Course the rest of the left over money went to my kids education..........sheeeeeeeeeeeeeessss...........oily well....one thing about my kids making more money than me.....they can never ask for a loan....yaaaaaahooooooooo!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
40 Posts
New Home for the Ruger

JW:

We'll give the Ruger a good, new home. I am sure that you'll be happy with your Marlin and have a little cash to buy another fun item.

Thanks for making the drive to Clare. Hope that you had fun at Jay's.

Doc

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ruger 77/17

Doc,
Yeah no problem about the drive. I like to drive and it wasn't all that bad. I did end up buying some rings for my Marlin (B Sqaure Lynx high (.600") and these only leave me about 1/16" clearance between the barrel and the Simmons 44 Mag scope I want to put on it. I guess I am just going to have to go to the Burris Signature Zee 22 rings. I know these (.793") will give me more clearance if I want to use this scope.
On top of the rings, I ended up buying a Harris 1A2 BR model bipod for the Marlin. It works good. I like th gun more and more. I hope you are happy with the Ruger.
I really liked Jay's. First time being there and I felt like a kid in a candy store. If I would have had more money, I would have bought a Ruger Super Redhawk in .454 Casull /.45 Colt.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.