Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner

Kabooms from 10/17s?

582 4
Has any one seen a link, story etc. regarding KBs happening with 10/17s, by VQ, Magnum Research, converted Rugers etc. or is it just the Remingtons that were doing it? :confused:
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2,758 Posts
I've had one in my converted 10/22M over about 10,000 rounds. It was not fully chambered and the case blew out about 1 millimieter above the rim. Bullet was lodged about 2/3 down the barrel. Shot it out with a .22 starter pistol blank (about the size of a CB case. No harm done to the barrel and it still shoots the regular 0.3s.

·
Registered
794 Posts
Has any one seen a link, story etc. regarding KBs happening with 10/17s, by VQ, Magnum Research, converted Rugers etc. or is it just the Remingtons that were doing it? :confused:
Ran into a strange problem with my converted 10/22 to 17HMR. Never went to the range this time of year -- way too hot and humidity close to 90 percent. The sky was clear and I set the two boxes of CCI 17HMR TNT ammo out in the sun on the shooting bench. By accident, I had torn the label off the first box and it left a white paper backing on the top of the box -- the second had the dark TNT label intact. First box shot just great, no problems and very accurate. Went to the second box and started having problems right away -- very inaccurate and rims poping. I put the rifle and ammo away so I could shoot another rifle. After about 45 minutes I went back to shoot the 10/22 to see if I could figure out what happened and the ammo from that 2nd box now shoot just great -- very accurate and no blown rims!!! All I can figure is the heat from the direct sun must have affected the powder -- it had sat out in the sun for at least 30 minutes with that black labeled top closed over the ammo! I need to remember to keep my ammo out of the sun.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.