Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hiya folks, an absolutely new member here with a question. I've gotten myself a brand spankin new, used kimber model 82 "s" series s/n 346-500 that seems to shoot like a house afire at 50 yds.
My question being just what have I got here? It's marked "super america" but I'm curious as to if it's an Oregon, or what. :confused:

Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Thanx,
Phlloyde

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
Having not seen it I'm assuming it's an early Super America and not an S Model. Basicaly comparable but the S Model was introduced before the Super America. Here's a pic of my S Model, no where on it does it say Super America but it is stamped S Model. The barrel roll mark should say Kimber of Oregon, Clackamas Oregon

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Mr. CMJR, you hit the nail right on the noggin. That picture is a dead ringer for my gun, and I was in error with my original though about mine having "super america" stamped on the barrel.
When I got the rifle, it wouldn't group worth a hoot. At 50 yards I could expect maybe 3 inch five shot groups. After about a week of scrubbing the copper out of the barrel, probably enough to make 10 cents worth of pennies, she began to start smaller groups.
After trying a multitude of ammo. the old girl has settled on Wolf match extra to be her favorites. Thank goodness 'cause I can't afford the expensive stuff.
On a good day, she will easily put 5 shots in the low 2's, and at 100 yards, a good day is in the 4's.
As soon as I figure out how to get some pictures up, I'll throw some targets on the screen.

Thanks again for your help.

·
Registered
885 Posts
You have a great Kimber. I think the S-Series rifles were some of the best made. Initially a run of 500, they actually made 535 of them. Select Claro walnut, 22 line checkering. Does yours have the front and rear sights? They were introduced in Nov 1981 and all sold by early 1982.
Mine ( serial number below 200 ) is my favorite rifle. Here are some (bad) photos of mine.

Sceva

·
Registered
8,814 Posts
That's a mighty sharp Kimber there Sceva! How about more Kimber pictures! Not much around on the web, and I like to see what all the different ones actually look like. Which scope is that on your rifle Sceva, it looks like the Leupold Compact M-8 4x28mm. Perfect proportions, looks great. :t

·
Registered
885 Posts
Phil;

You nailed the scope. It is a Leupold 4x rimfire special. I came close to getting the 3-7x variable but I am partial to fixed powers. The rings are Kimber vertical split high polish, fixed ( no take down levers ) My photos are actually better than that but they come out bad (washed out) when loaded into Hunt101.

PHLLOYDE: One thing I neglected to mention about the S-Series. They were made ( at least mine was ) prior to the change to a left hand thread on the cocking stud on the bolt. You may want to check it for tightness periodically and snug it down as they tend to unscrew themselves when working the bolt. I used clear fingernail polish on the threads of mine which acts a a low strength locktite.

More photos'

Sceva

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
More about my newfound 82 "S"

Thanks for the complimgent sceva. No my Kimber does not have any iron sights at all. I have a Bushnell 4-15 variable for now which is pretty good out to about 150 yards. As soon as I can afford one I'll be setting a Weaver T36 on her 'cause I only shoot her off a bench, in local competition. I've also set the trigger to just over 3 oz. of pull which makes her a bit "twitchy" for squirrel hunting. When I got her she had about 3 feet of travel with about 5 lbs. of pull so it's a lot better now. :D

·
Registered
8,814 Posts
Beautiful rifles guys, love it! I've got the same scope rings on my 82, Kimber high polish vertical split permanent mount. NOW that I've seen the 2-7x28mm glossy on Bob's Kimber, I am just DYING to get my hands on one for mine !! Thanks a lot Bob, you're killing my bank account! :D

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.