Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought my first 10/22, and had all the intentions of putting on bull bbl, stock and making it into a modest paper puncher. When I purchased the gun I picked up a cheep tasco scope to put on it untill I had the time and money to get good glass and the bbl/stock upgrades. Here it the problem. I really love the gun the way it is right now. Of course it is an excelent rabbit/squirl gun as it sits. The solution is going to be simple; when the money permits I'm going to get an other one and up grad it. This is the first gun I have ever had with a scope on it and after one trip to the range I learned that I need a lot of practice shooting with one. I have this compultion were I just have to "tinker" with every thing I get. Can the rifle be used with out the bbl band? Is there anything I need to do if I redo the stocke to work with out it? How small of groups should I expect with the factory stock and bbl?

I'll quit asking questions for now. Any help would be appreceated.

SmallPower

·
Registered
1,096 Posts
Welcome to the group and the never ending "what if I did" that club!!!! The gun doesn't need the barrel band to fuction...the single action screw will hold it....some remove the band and then cut the small wood end off and install a full size black forearm tip....seems someone offered one for sale pre made? other people take the band and sand/open up the interior of the over the barrel part of the band to let the barrel not touch the band but the band still looks the same it just doens't put pressure on the barrel and this helps the accuracy MOST of the time.....in either case it often helps to relieve the barrel channel and free float the barrel to let it shoot the best it will shoot...glass bedding the stock wood and free floating the barrel almost always helps.....as for stock guns accuracy...I haven't shot a stock gun except my old 1971 Model custom Sporter with fingergroove stock that I opened the channel to free float the barrel and it shoots bulk ammo at 1/2 in at 25yds for 5 shots.....smaller with expensive Lapua match ammo but I use it for a fun walking gun as it is so light and short and use my heavy barrel custom Clark for serious paper punching......check the tips and tricks section for other tune up help...good luck and good shooting!!!

·
Registered
630 Posts
Welcome aboard Smallpower,

THe bbl band is not needed, and it usually does more harm than good, as far as accuracy goes. If you like the looks, take some meat out from under it, so that it does not touch the bbl.

By all means read the tips and tricks section. There are several low cost tricks that make it more enjoyable to shoot.

Suggestions to start:

Auto bolt release,

Overtravel screw,

Clickster spring trick,

Float the bbl

Weapon Kraft buffer and take down screw

VQ exact edge extractor

Chamfer (radius) bolt

VQ target hammer

JB Weld trick for pretravel

Do searches on each of these, and you'll find a wealth of information. Most people here do at least five of these mods to their rifles. There are other choices, but these are the most common.

·
Registered
1,528 Posts
when I started my project 10/22 I cut the tip of the stock off where the barrel band went and then floated the barrel. I wanted to have it able to shoot the whole time, it actually shot real good that way. Then I did the mods that Plchacker said, while waiting for the secretary of finances to approve the next purchases.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.