Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner

Just how good,

451 9
are the Clearidge Ultra RM scopes for hunting Squirrels???? I have tried to put my Leupold 2 - 7 X 33 var -X II to good use by having the parallax changed and it it is dead on but I have trouble with the old peepers not seeing so well. I believe that I need the AO feature to be able to focus in on the little buggers. I have other scopes with this feature, and I was just very curious to see if anyone uses the Clearidge and how they like it. I have looked up just about all I can about them but still kinda like to hear what ya'll have to say about them Good or Bad......

Thanks unc....
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
X-Mod
18,520 Posts
I have one with fine crosshairs for target shooting and I've very happy with it. I think that the duplex version would be just fine for hunting. :)

Here's fullchoke's review of the Ultra RM, although you may have already read it.
http://www.rimfirecentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=161526&highlight=clearidge

So, this focus problem that you're experiencing, I'm assuming that it's at targets inside of 50 yards?

·
Registered
1,454 Posts
I have had a Clearidge Ultra RM w/fine cross hairs for about a year.
The scope is very nice. Good quality.
Have been 100% pleased with it.
Good for target or squirrels.

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
So, this focus problem that you're experiencing, I'm assuming that it's at targets inside of 50 yards?[/QUOTE]

Well JEE, maybe I should have said it's a magnification problem. Ya see when the target is close in the 25 to 50 yard range and I turn the magnification up to see it better the target blurs. When I turn the power ring to lower mag everthing is clear but I have a hard time finding the target as it appears too small. The target being a squirrels eye or head.

Thanks Ice for your reply. :bthumb:

·
X-Mod
18,520 Posts
At at higher magnifcations the parallax error at ranges other than the scope's set range will become more noticeable, especially at shorter ranges.

The AO is the answer to bring your target in focus with your crosshairs, only it will be one more step that you'll have to contend with. I think this is the reason a lot of hunters prefer a fixed parallax as it's one less thing to deal with, but with aging eye's the need for extra magnification and an AO is understandable. :)

·
Registered
18,145 Posts
You are going to have the sdame problem no matter what scope you use. Higher powers at close ranges will always be more blurry. Maybe what you need is a good fixed 6X Leupold sent back and have the parallax set at 40 yards. I sight my squirrel rifles in at 40 yards, because I rarely shoot past 60 on one, and most are under 30 yards. Setting one at 50 yards would be worse when it comes to things being blurry at close ranges. Just a thought you might want to consider.

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
You are going to have the sdame problem no matter what scope you use. Higher powers at close ranges will always be more blurry. Maybe what you need is a good fixed 6X Leupold sent back and have the parallax set at 40 yards. I sight my squirrel rifles in at 40 yards, because I rarely shoot past 60 on one, and most are under 30 yards. Setting one at 50 yards would be worse when it comes to things being blurry at close ranges. Just a thought you might want to consider.
i agree with the fixed 6x , gizzy ! i got a burris fullfield2 in 6x [std. duplex]when they 1st came out , & had burris re-set the parallax for 50 yds. it's been the nicest scope i've owned ! right now , it's setting on my pretty savage mk.2 classic in .22lr , but i've also noticed closer targets being blurry . at the range , you can take the time to re-focus ; not always practical in the field !! dang that aging stuff !!

·
Registered
18,145 Posts
i agree with the fixed 6x , gizzy ! i got a burris fullfield2 in 6x [std. duplex]when they 1st came out , & had burris re-set the parallax for 50 yds. it's been the nicest scope i've owned ! right now , it's setting on my pretty savage mk.2 classic in .22lr , but i've also noticed closer targets being blurry . at the range , you can take the time to re-focus ; not always practical in the field !! dang that aging stuff !!
It has nothing to do with aging at all. All the years I have shot a scope, the closer you get, the blurry it will be. Thats just the way it is. As long as i can see my crosshairs clear, and that squirrel is that close, I don't care how blurry he looks, I can still get a head shot on him. :bthumb: When they get that close you have to hold a little high anyway or you will shoot under them.

·
Registered
7,964 Posts
IF the game you're wanting to kill is THAT close, turn the magnification down some. I have used the Leupold 2.5-8x and 2-7x scopes for many years, along with several 3-9x Leupold and Burris scopes, with little problem. Sure if you turn the magnification all the way up, the image will be somewhat out of focus at short ranges. I can take my rifle with the Leupold 2-7x 33mm scope at 4x and see fine at 25 yards. If targets were inside of that distance, I'd dial 'er on down to 2x.

Some folks love high magnification. I've never cared for it on a hunting rifle. I tried a 6-18x on a squirrel rifle once upon a time, and hated it enough that it was removed right quicklike and replaced with a lower powered variable. Last squirrel season was done with my Kimber Hunter with the 2-7x 33 Leupold, but the season before that I used the older Kimber 82 which is topped by a Burris 3-9x. I intentionally set the Burris scope at four power and taped the power ring where I wouldn't be tempted to move it, and hunted the entire season with a 4x scope. I found out from the little experiment that I could live with a 4x fixed power scope if I so chose. The only reason that I bought the 2-7x33mm variable to go on the Hunter Kimber was because it was about $75 cheaper than the FXII 4x33mm.

Now if the rifle's primary use were going to be target shooting instead of hunting, that would change things considerably. I shot the email matches here on RFC for a while, using a 2.5-8x scope. Fine at 25 yards, but not quite enough to shoot really good scores on the USBR target at 50 yards, although it CAN be done, as the official sporter class competitions often limit magnification to 6x tops. For 100 yards and beyond, I'd like a 4-12x or 4-16x scope. If I were shooting a .17HMR or even a .22 WMR, a good medium high magnification variable would be a good choice to me. My own opinion, not necessary on a .22 long rifle hunting firearm.

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks guys, but my original question is just how good are the Clearidge Ultra RM scopes??? How do ya'll like them Good or bad?

Now as for that Leupold, it is crystal clear at the lower magnification at 25 to 50 yards but, I have trouble seeing the squirrels. They are just too small. It's hard to pick them out in the trees. Over the last few years I have found that the scopes with the AO feature seem to to work better for me. I think this VX-II would be better used on a shotgun or muzzleloader for deer sized game.

Thanks again for the info :bthumb: It is much appreciated....

unc.....

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.