Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner

Just got an H&R Targeteer and need a hand

2363 6
Hey guys, I just bought an H&R Targeteer. I got it for 76 bucks off of gunbroker, but it is missing the receiver sight and the magazine. It looks like I found some mags for 30 dollars which is a little pricey but I like the rifle so it is worth it. What I'm wondering about is replacing the missing sight. I'm not sure if the sight rail is still with the rifle but I read that one of these models came with a lyman 66 sight, but that was in 1946 and there are different models of the 66 made for specific rifle crowns. Anyone have any experience with these rifles and what sight I might use to replace the missing one? My model is a 265 and it has not arrived yet.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
420 Posts
found this in THR

In a 1971 edition of The Gun Digest Book of Modern Gun Values there is listed as below;
"Harrington & Richardson Model 265: called the Reg'lar Model in advertising; bolt-action repeater; .22 LR only; 22" barrel' 10-shot detachable box magazine; uncheckered hardwood pistol-grip stock; Lyman No 55 rear peep sight; blade front on ramp. Introduced in 1946; dropped,1949.
They also list a
"...Model 465, advertised as Targeteer Special; bolt-action repeater;. 22 LR only; 25" barrel; 10-shot detachable box magazine; uncheckered walnut pistol-grip stock; Lyman No 57 rear peep sight, blade front on ramp; sling swivels, web sling. Introduced in 1946; dropped,1947. (This photo shows a bull barrelled rifle)
There is also a
"Targeteer Jr. has the same basic specifications as Model 465, except for 20" barrel; shorter youth stock; 5-rd. detachable box magazine; Redfield No 70 rear peep sight, Lyman No 17A front . Introduced in 1948; dropped, 1951.

Gunparts co has a few parts but the rear sight isn't one of'em. I have heard thet sometimes have parts rifles they salvage parts from. Might be worth a call.

Best

S-

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks guys, I just finally heard back from the seller. All together it'll be 97.50 including shipping and I found a 55h sight on gunbroker for 39.95, and he lives really close by. Hopefully when I go up to grab the sight he might have a magazine or two. The pics were great too. I think I'm gonna fall in llove with this little gun and it looks like the price was good compared to that one on gunauctions.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Rear sight on mine is a Lyman 55H. If you search the internet, the magazines do come up every once in awhile. Mine has a simple front sight and want to replace it, I have to hold my cheek tight to the stock to get the peep to line up.

·
Registered
887 Posts
I have a 265. I put a Mossberg S130 sight on it. The holes didn't match exactly so I had to keyhole one of the holes on the sight. I cut a portion off the front of the sight mount so I wouldn't have to remove any wood from the stock. Not a lot of finesse involved but it works very well.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.