Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hey guys, I'm new here and I'm proud to say that as of this past weekend I became the owner of a T/C Silver Lynx. I originally wanted a Classic, but the T/C Rep who was at Cabela's talked me into this. So far I love the rifle, but I have a few concerns. First off, my serial number is 14xx. I saw some earlier posts referring to the 14xx's as being problematic. Now, since the Silver Lynx is so new, does that not apply to my rifle, or do I have one of the touchy ones? I do have the new mag and mag release. Also, the rep said that the Silver Lynx has a heavy barrel, and the barrel does seem to be and feel much heavier than the Classic barrel, yet I haven't seen that fact anywhere else. Lastly, does anyone make an aperture sight for this rifle, or are we T/C guys pretty much stuck? Thanks a lot!

Edit: One other thing he said is that the Benchmark and Silver Lynx carry a 1/2" guarantee and the Classic carries a 3/4" guarantee, and that any receivers that don't pass the more stringent specifications become classic receivers. :confused:

·
Registered
1,680 Posts
First off, let me say Welcome to RFC!! I own both the Benchmark and a Silver Lynx. I think the SL are new enough to not have the problems that the older classics had. I bought mine used off of this board, and it certainly meets the 1/2 inch mark. The Benchmark, on the other hand, has been nothing but trouble since day one. Extractor groove keeps blowing out, and it comes nowhere near 1/2 inch. It's back at T/C for the third time now. I don't think anyone makes an aperture sight for these rifles. The SL has a heavier barrel than the classic, but not as heavy as the Benchmark. So far I really like the SL. It has good balance and fits on the bench really good. Good luck!

Chunckchucker

·
Registered
241 Posts
D7Productions said:
Hey guys, I'm new here and I'm proud to say that as of this past weekend I became the owner of a T/C Silver Lynx. I originally wanted a Classic, but the T/C Rep who was at Cabela's talked me into this. So far I love the rifle, but I have a few concerns. First off, my serial number is 14xx. I saw some earlier posts referring to the 14xx's as being problematic. Now, since the Silver Lynx is so new, does that not apply to my rifle, or do I have one of the touchy ones? I do have the new mag and mag release. Also, the rep said that the Silver Lynx has a heavy barrel, and the barrel does seem to be and feel much heavier than the Classic barrel, yet I haven't seen that fact anywhere else. Lastly, does anyone make an aperture sight for this rifle, or are we T/C guys pretty much stuck? Thanks a lot!

Edit: One other thing he said is that the Benchmark and Silver Lynx carry a 1/2" guarantee and the Classic carries a 3/4" guarantee, and that any receivers that don't pass the more stringent specifications become classic receivers. :confused:
I own the Silver Lynx and don't have a Classic or Benchmark to compare it to but here's my relatively worthless opinion:
1. I don't see how Lynx receivers that don't quite "make the grade" could be diverted to Classics. Lynx receivers are stainless and Classic receivers are blued. This is just one of the reasons that I'm suspicious of this particular claim.
2. I've seen a few others mention this accuracy guarantee (at 50 yrds) in older posts, but I haven't seen anyone discussing it lately. Many people are reporting accuracy like this, I just don't know that Thompson Center is guaranteeing it (or still guaranteeing it, if they used to).
3. According to an old post, a company called Williams was supposed to have a peep sight redesigned for the Classic and released in the summer of 2004. How accurate this report is/was, I don't know.
4. The barrel of the Lynx is supposed to be 2" shorter than the Classic, but I'll have to defer to Chuckchucker on the comparative thickness of the barrels since he's got both rifles to look at.
5. I assumed (without any basis in fact) that Thompson Center was serial numbering the Classic, Silver Lynx and Benchmark rifles separately. If this is true, then the complaints you heard were probably from Classic owners and your rifle which was introduced later and seems to have a smaller production run(s) is probably considerably newer and is not really from the batch that you suspect had problems.
Again, these opinions probably aren't worth the electrons that are spelling them out. I'm sure someone else will politely correct anything I got wrong. Good luck and welcome to the club.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Okay guys, that puts my mind at ease. You know, I thought the same thing about the receivers as soon as I heard it. I assumed he meant that the benchmark receivers became classics, and the SL recievers just got chucked. Sp far there's no way I know of to blue stainless :rolleyes:. Anyway, you guys confirmed most of what I thought. So far I love the feel of this rifle with the semi-beavertail forend and medium-heavy barrel. It's kinda perfect for me since I like rifles that feel good offhand, which this certainly does. I was torn between the Classic and the Benchmark, and this rifle seems to be the perfect middlegrounds. While I don't think it's the best looking stock, it certainly feels good to me, and I got a halfway decent trigger, it just needs a little creep removed. The only thing I wish it had is a free-floated barrel. I'm glad to be a new member of RFC!

·
36,633 Posts
My Classic was made before they released the Benchmark so I don't know abot how I got a reject. T/C originally claimed that the Classic was 1 MOA rifle. mine makes that and then some. Easily under a half inch with several ammos at 50 yards and right at 1 inch at 100 yards with Wolf MT (the only ammo I've tested @100).

What really surprises me is your questioning the barrel being free floated my classic is free floated and as you said it has a slightly thinner barrel. I do not, however, consider the Classic barrel as skinny as it is quite a bit heavier than some other makes. It surprises me to hear there that your barrel is not floated. How did you test for this and what do you consider "free floated"?

·
Registered
1,680 Posts
Chris, I think your post is right on. As for the accuracy guarantee, I have been told by one of the gunsmiths at T/C, that the Benchmark will shoot at least 1/2 inch at 50. Neither of the ones I have had would do it. They came close, but not consistantly. As for the recievers, the Benchmarks have serial numbers that start with T, and SL recievers have serial numbers that start with S. I don't know about the Classic, as I have never looked at one. The barrel on the SL is 2" longer than the Benchmark. Both I would consider heavy, but he Benchmarks is quite a bit heavier than the SL. Vincent, the barrel on my Benchmark is fully floated, but the Silver Lynx' barrel is touching the stock the length of the barrel. I think it has to be this way because the stock is just an injection molded stock. I don't think it would be strong enough to support the receiver if it left the barrel floated.

Chunckchucker

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I used the old dollar bill test, it didn't even get past the tip of the fore-end. The rep said that neither the Classic nor the Silver Lynx were free-floated which leads me to question the reliability of this rep. I consider a free floated barrel one which has no contact points forward of the receiver. I've heard a lot of people with the early models saying they are free floated, with some of the people with later models saying they arent. I don't think it will make too much of a difference with a rimfire, but I'd be curious to know which way it is supposed to be.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Chunck, I agree with your hypothesis with regards to the stock. While it is higher quality than most synthetic rimfire stocks, I don't think this stock can support the wegith of the barrel if free floated without some modification.

·
36,633 Posts
I haven't check mine recently but I believe the entire barrel is free floated except the first two or so inches at the reciever, which is how I bed all my rifles unless they show a need for forearm tip pressure. I hate to say it but it sounds to me like the guy you were talking to did not have a CLUE about any of this. As to the SL I was in injection molding for 27 years, in Quality. I am not particularly fond of Tupperware stocks. I always wanted them to make a stainless Classic in walnut. For me, I am as happy as a clam. A 22lr that truely shoots 1" at 100 yds. How could anyone ask for more? Well.....actually I thinking just today that if I bedded it and cut an 11* crown............Or the R55 17M2 may be just around the corner.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I think nothing looks better than deep blueing and rich walnut, but some of my rifles are more tools than things to be admired. In that case I want stainless and either synthetics or laminates. When it comes to synthetics however, I want a high quality laid-up design with pillar bedding or a full bedding block. I'm not too concerned about the T/C stock because it feels great, and it isn't that big of a deal on a rimfire. This particular rimfire is more of a tool, for heavy target use and varmint hunting. Does ANYONE make aftermarket stocks for the T/C? Does anyone make anything for the T/C???

·
Registered
241 Posts
In reviewing the posts I see I wrongly said the Chunckchucker had both the Classic and the Lynx to compare side by side. I think maybe it is retired squid who I was thinking of. I did post the dimensions of the Lynx barrel at someone's request once and I think they indicated that, except for the length, the dimensions matched the Classic's.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Neither mine or my brothers' Classics have free floated barrels. With some experimentation I've found that mine doesn't shoot worth a darn with the barrel dangling on its own. I've made my own heavier target-style stock, but after my groups expanded, I'm adding some support for the barrel and should be ready for testing this Sat.
I'm using an older Walther rear aperature sight unit that slides right onto my scope mount and am in the process of trying to talk a machinist buddy into making a front mount that is high enough to match.
It also doesn't appear that anyone is making aftermarket stocks yet. I made a few inquiries of the sponsers listed here. I guess the demand for other "upscale" parts hasn't been there. 10/22's seems to rule in that area.

Regards,
Rod G.

·
36,633 Posts
I just checked mine again as to free floating and I said something incorrect earlier. mine is free floated ALL the way back. Two pieces of thin paper clear both sides and the btm all the way to the receiver's front surface. Mine is in in the high 10,000 serial number range. I've thought of trying it with a touch of tip pressure (shimmed with business cards to see if it will shoot better) but I don't know.

A Classic has won it's class for the third year in a row at Camp Perry row for sporters with optics. I would LOVE to have a long lokk inside THAT rifle. Is it bedded? If so how? Does it have a different crown? What was done to the trigger? Makes you wonder cause it is a basically stock rifle.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Now, I know we've already established that the rep was less than reliable, but he referred to two versions of the Silver Lynx being made with the second, newer version having the havier barrel. He handed it to me saying something like "This is brand new, we just started amking the Silver Lynx with the heavy barrel". Just so you know, I just measured the barrel and it's about .725" at the muzzle if you want to compare it to your classics.

·
36,633 Posts
That LOOKS alot heavier than the Classic. Just got done cleaning mine ....WHEW it was dirty....I must have gone to 500 or 600 rds this time and it was starting to act up just a little. The longest I've ever gone w/o cleaning. Had the 10/22 apart tonight too.....what a difference. One of those guns is alot classier than the other.

·
Registered
113 Posts
My Classic measures .6-- at the muzzle. I'm not at home to give the exact number but I made a prototype front aperature sight mount and recall .6 something at the muzzle.
That pic is definitely heavier barrelled than my Classic.

Rod G.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.