Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner

Just bought a new CZ

352 5
Hey Guys,

I just bought a new CZ 452 Training rifle. I will be using it to hunt small game.

I do not want to spend a fortune, but do want to get a scope worthy of the rifle.

What do you suggest? Also, what rings and base will make a rock solid set-up?

Thanks,

Geoff
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
X-Mod
18,520 Posts
My suggestion...

Burris Timbeline 4x20mm.
http://www.midwayusa.com/eproductpage.exe/showproduct?saleitemid=228391&t=11082005

...and some Warne medium rings.
http://www.midwayusa.com/eproductpage.exe/showproduct?saleitemid=111875&t=11082005

If fits behind the rear sight, here's mine on my Lux.

I currently have the rings that I mentioned above on this rifle, but the ones in the pic are Leupold 11mm high rings, I moved them to my FS since they are a little classier. The current offerings of from Leupold do not fit as well as the old ones that I have, but the Warne's fit the 11mm rail perfectly. :)

·
Registered
5,298 Posts
I will be using it to hunt small game.

I do not want to spend a fortune, but do want to get a scope worthy of the rifle.
What do you suggest? Also, what rings and base will make a rock solid set-up?
This link contains a list of small hunting scopes, priced from the lowly Simmons 3-9X 22 Mag @ $30 to the gold standard Leupold EFR 3-9X @$350. The best quality hunting scope under $100 is the Weaver Shotgun 4X scope at Natchez.

JEE's USA made Burris ShortMag 4x20 is still available at Natchez for $149, if you prefer owning a USA made scope. The Timberline is the essentially same thing as ShortMag except it is made in Philippines.

·
X-Mod
18,520 Posts
JEE's USA made Burris ShortMag 4x20 is still available at Natchez for $149, if you prefer owning a USA made scope. The Timberline is the essentially same thing as ShortMag except it is made in Philippines.
Good find MGT, I would definately grab one of those over a Timberline. Mine is actually the slighty older Compact series, but they're all to the same specs I would think. Anyway, they are great little scopes. :t

The Weaver scope you mentioned would be a fine one as well and an incredible deal at that price. I think it would fall behind the rear sight, but I have not seen one on a Trainer. Someone suggested in another thread that this scope had more eye relief than specified, but that's just what I heard. Maybe someone can post a pic of one on a Trainer. :)

·
Registered
5,298 Posts
Good find MGT, I would definately grab one of those over a Timberline. Mine is actually the slighty older Compact series, but they're all to the same specs I would think. Anyway, they are great little scopes. :t

The Weaver scope you mentioned would be a fine one as well and an incredible deal at that price. I think it would fall behind the rear sight, but I have not seen one on a Trainer. Someone suggested in another thread that this scope had more eye relief than specified, but that's just what I heard. Maybe someone can post a pic of one on a Trainer. :)
And here I always though it was a ShortMag! As far as scope length fitting behind Trainer rear sight, almost anything less than 12 inches should work. Possible exceptions might be a 12 inch scope that had a very long eye relief, and had to be mounted a bit more forward. The Weaver Shotgun is very short for a 4x scope, at 9.5 inches long and it will clear the rear sight by at least 1 inch.

·
X-Mod
18,520 Posts
The Compact series was the predecessor to the Shortmag...

What they were called before that, I'm really not sure. :confused:

It's funny to me, that they would change the name of the same scopes so many times, must be some kind of marketing strategy. I hear (and I probably heard it from you) that the new Timberline series is supposed to have better coatings, but who knows. I'd imagine that this time around they switched to making these overseas to lower the cost so that they could be more competitive. It's a shame to see work leave here, but I guess they've got to do what they have to in order to survive.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.