Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Purchased an Ultimate Starter kit and installed the PC Hammer and Adj. sear in my Charger....when I started the original trigger pull weight was 4# and 10 oz.'s (avg.)---it is now 4# and 8 oz.'s (avg.) :eek: ....any idea what I have done wrong ??? The trigger appears to function correctly, it just did not lower the pull weight the way it was supposed to........................
Any suggestions from you more experienced tinker'-ers would be appreciated......
Thanks;
glenn (buckeyeair)

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
any chance you didnt put hte new hammer in? i knowwhen i repaced mine it was a very nice light pull.

Shane
I thought about that and checked my parts bag and the original Ruger hammer was in there so I did put the right hammer in..:p ..I was re-reading the instructions and it mentioned 'Hammer shims' and replacement springs which I DID NOT install--any chance that would cause the problem ??
Thanks for your reply paranoid :bthumb:
glenn (buckeyeair)

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
swampy;
Do you mean to turn the screw out as in counter-clockwise or in as clockwise...not sure which way you mean to back it off... (man I must be dense !!!) I did not change the setting on the sear screw any so that maybe the problem....I also did not use the springs that came with the kit...read some where to use the originals...thought possibly that may contribute to the heavy trigger as well...dunno..:confused:
Thanks;
glenn (buckeyeair)

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Tim;
Thanks for the reply;
Are you referring to the Hammer shims that go between the hammer and the Hammer bushing ??---will those lower the pull weight ?? I thought they where for snugness and centering the Hammer?? The directions also mention Sear shims but I found none in the kit ?? Did you modify (shorten) any springs ?? (Can you tell I am not mechanically inclined :confused: )
I will tear it down again and give the shims a try as well as adjusting the Sear screw and see if that helps.........
Thanks again;
glenn (buckeyeair)

·
Registered
6,930 Posts
Yes, turn it counter clockwise and see what happens. It sounds like the sear is binding, causing the heavy pull weight. Those sears are not pre-adjusted.

The shims won't lighten the pull. They just help take away slop.

PC's springs are heavier than stock, so they may increase your pull weight slightly.

VQ's springs are lighter and are not recommended by me, due to light strikes.

swampf0x

·
Registered
373 Posts
I just installed a PC hammer with springs and shims in my 1974 10/22. Great improvement. About 2.5 pounds now. I put a VQ hammer, springs and shims in my 2004 10/22 RR last year. Same improvement. Also down to about 2.5 pounds. Your kit had the sear. My kits didn't. So perhaps problem is in the sear? Wonder what would result if you put the original sear back in? Good luck. Hope you find the cause.

·
Registered
22,250 Posts
more than one thing is responsible for the crappy pull on the stock actions

the reason for yours is obviously something in addition to the sear notch angle.... the next thing i'd look at would be the trigger return spring situation...

i've found nothing to beat replacing the return spring system on the stock gun with either one of my style springs (see stickies), or one of the modded triggers that use the bolt lock spring....

·
Registered
2,313 Posts
Some older 10-22's are hard to get light trigger pulls even with P-C kits. Had the same trouble with mine. Call or e-mail Randal at P-C. He is good to work with may even fix it for you. Or tell you what to do to help it.

·
37,291 Posts
What vintage is the rifle or at least the trigger housing. I have had modified hammers turn a 10/22 into illegal full auto (of course that was immediately removed and returns) to newer hammers ADDING to pull weight in older housings

In both cases a new style trigger housing solved problem.

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
What vintage is the rifle or at least the trigger housing. I have had modified hammers turn a 10/22 into illegal full auto (of course that was immediately removed and returns) to newer hammers ADDING to pull weight in older housings

In both cases a new style trigger housing solved problem.
It's a new Charger Vincent with a new (Ruger) trigger.... It sounds as though the set screw on the Sear is out to far and I just installed it the way I received it without adjusting it any. Swampy recomends adjusting the screw in abit and re-try so I will give that a try.----I have never done my own smithing before and REALLY APPRECIATE all the help----you all are a GREAT bunch of folks........
Later;
glenn (buckeyeair)

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Update---------

Wellllllll
I removed the trigger group again and added the shims and backed the sear adjusting screw all the way out to flush, and re-assembled and tested the pull once again and got the same reading of 4# and 8 oz.'s :mad: ---
thought possibly the gauge was faulty so I tested the pull on my bench gun and it read 2 oz.'s--just where it was supposed to be--soooo I removed the TG once again and removed the shims and retested once again---same story...4# 8oz.'s...so I tore it down yet one more time and replaced the adjustable sear with the original sear--re-assembled and tested once again and the reading averaged 3# and 11 oz.'s this time so the pull weight dropped almost a pound. Still not where it should be as the PC sears are advertised to drop the pull wt. down to around 2 to 2/12 #'s---I looked at the sticky that cletus had suggested and don't really understand that process and not sure I could do it anyway :eek: ---HELP.... ---any more ideas anyone...:confused:
Thanks;
glenn (buckeyeair)

·
37,291 Posts
You are turning the sear screw the wrong way to make the trigger better. The more you turn it in the less CREEP you have. That is until you go to far and then your trigger will not reset. Is your trigger drilled so you can adjust it in the rifle?

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Vincent;
Thanks for your reply--I was advised to turn the screw(counter-clockwise) in until it was flush with the sear then check and adjust out(clockwise) a little at a time until it was where I wanted it----the screw was adjusted about 3 turns out when I received it and the pull was 4# 8 oz.'s....I turned it in as instructed and the pull did not change at all until I switched back to the Ruger sear----so you are advising to re-install the adj. sear and turn it further out (clockwise) than what it was originally (3 turns) is that correct ?---if that is correct, I will re-install the sear and have another go at it.....
Thanks;
glenn (buckeyeair)

·
Registered
6,930 Posts
This isn't making any sence. The adjustable sear IS a Ruger factory sear that has been modded with a set screw for creep adjustment.

If you want, send me your entire trigger group and I'll get it right.

swampf0x

·
37,291 Posts
Vincent;
Thanks for your reply--I was advised to turn the screw(counter-clockwise) in until it was flush with the sear then check and adjust out(clockwise) a little at a time until it was where I wanted it----the screw was adjusted about 3 turns out when I received it and the pull was 4# 8 oz.'s....I turned it in as instructed and the pull did not change at all until I switched back to the Ruger sear----so you are advising to re-install the adj. sear and turn it further out (clockwise) than what it was originally (3 turns) is that correct ?---if that is correct, I will re-install the sear and have another go at it.....
Thanks;
glenn (buckeyeair)
Turning the screw IN or clockwise should lessen sear contact I usually adajust mine untils the trigger will not reset and the back it OUT ot counterclock wise until the trigger will reset. Then I try a bump and safety test. It is stays set leave it, lf it bumps off turn it OUT or counter clockwise a touch more.

You seem to be going completely opposite.....maybe a point of view thing.

IS YOUR TRIGGER DRILLED TO ALLOW ADJUSTMENT IN THE GUN???

·
Registered
2,409 Posts
Set screw in the sear only cures pre-travel. Amount of creep is determined by the hammer & sear engagement depth. The problem ain't between the sear and the disconnector. If you "over" adjust the sear set screw and pull the trigger, it won't release the hammer.

You have something else going on, buckeyeair.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.