Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I may be looking to add to my rimfire collection at some point in the future. I was wondering where would be the best places to locate used firearms for a good price. From what I have seen at the dealers that I visit, the prices on used guns are just about the same as a new gun. For that reason, I tend to buy new, unless something is no longer being made. I also checked the prices on GA and the prices there are comparable to new. Anyway, I do want to add to my variety, but hope to do it at a bargain. And, I noticed that a lot of you who buy used guns tend to get great deals. Now, I have never come across any deals that good. So, where do you find them?

Thanks

·
Registered
539 Posts
Lots of private sales yield good deals. I recently bought a slightly used Model 70 featherweight .280 Remington with a synthetic stock in like new condition that had a new Burris 3x9, sling, case, dies, hundreds of unfired new brass and hundreds of Nosler bullets, shell cases, and 5 boxes of loaded ammo for $375.00. The value of the accessories alone was over $400.00. That was a fella that was just looking to get out of a gun he did not use. There are a lot of deals like that out there if you let people know you are interested in used guns/equipment.

Pawn shops are also a good source. Most good Pawn shops will allow you to return a gun if there is some serious defect such as a broken scope, firing pin, etc. if the defect is discovered immediately. Ask before buying about the shops policy on returning guns with defects. Don't be scared off by what appear to be inflated prices at Pawn Shops--make an offer that is about 40% off the asking price and go from there. A gun with a used value of $300 will often be listed at $375 but the shop may have only $50-$100 into the gun so there is lots of room to negotiate.

·
Registered
2,807 Posts
Good Used .22LR Values

Cloud 9,
I am a rimfire collector, mostly handguns, but I have about 25 rimfire rifles. The others have given good suggestions and here is my experience and $0.02 worth.
1) Keep a copy of the latest Fjestad's Blue Book and do not pay above his listed values. Keep your passion under control and be patient. The right gun at the right price will eventually come along.
2) Be oppertunistic. If you run upon a bargain even if you were not looking for that particular gun, jump on it. I had just purchased a Model 52B when a fellow offered me a BRNO Model IV at a steal. I took it and it surpasses the 52B in accuracy.
3) Pawn Shops are a great source of values and I use them. One other technique is to develop a relationship with a gun dealer that you can trust and he trusts you. Let him know up front that you will not pay more than Blue Book value and what type of guns that you will purchase. Then he will be on the lookout for those types at the Blue Book price because he knows that he will have quick turnaround with his money. I originally collected .22 automatics and when I branched out into revolvers I informed my dealer of the change. During my 11 years in Delaware he probably got me 25 revolvers at less than Blue Book. I never knew what he was going to find next but he cameup with some jewels such as a Colt Officer's Model Match for $225, a Diamondback for $375, a Dan Wesson for $200 etc. Now that I have moved to VA I am trying to establish the same relationship with a dealer here who happens to be a pawn shop.
4) Gun Shows. Go often. The big shows offer big crowds with lots of dealers and you can usually play one dealer off against the other. On the other hand the smaller shows will usually have a crowd of people by the front door who are trying to sell private firearms. Many of them have an inflated value of what they are worth but many are there just to raise some money. I bought a LNIB Browning BL-22 for $300 at the last Salem show this way.

In any case, enjoy yourself. The chase is as much fun as the acquision.

Wayne38

·
Registered
154 Posts
If you can't afford it, buy it, anyway.

I've passed on several guns I've sorely regretted not buying. Sometimes, they were overpriced; sometimes, I just didn't have the money.

I'm a better haggler now than I was then, but there are times when the seller holds all the cards, knows it, and knows if you don't buy it, somebody else will. One of the reasons I keep my Visa balances down to bearable levels is that I never know when I'll find the exact (fill in the blank) I've been looking for all these years, and don't want to worry about having enough credit.

That said™, there's a world of difference between want and really want. It took me awhile to figure that out, too.

·
Registered
101 Posts
My advice would be to join a local gun club. Become aquainted with other shooters in your area. Making contacts with other shooters can really help. Attend gun shows, but as others have said, be careful there. Really nice used guns are around at reasonable prices but you need the right contacts. Who knows, you might even have fun shooting your guns and talking to these people while looking.

·
Registered
172 Posts
I found the majority of my gun deals on gunbroker.com and auctionarms.com .I go to the gunshops and look at the guns in person then I usally buy off gunbroker. some of my deals are a Stainless para ordance p12 45 limited with 5 mags for $450, west hurley tommygun $690,Buckmark target $300

Jim

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Refinishing a used gun

Hey, thanks for the information. Let's say that you do find a used gun that you like. Maybe a 9 mm pistol or somewhere along those lines. But the gun's finish has lost some of its blue. Is it expensive to have a pistol refinished?

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Is it expensive to refinish a pistol?

I want to buy a pistol that is no longer being made. It is a full-size 9 mm pistol. I cannot be assured that I will find one with perfect finish. There is one that is 80-90% condition. So that tells me the finish will need to be redone to get it back to looking great. Would that be a very expensive job to have done?

I believe the finish is sort of matte, which might be what people call parkerized. I only have owned blued guns in the past, so I do not know much about this type of finish. It is sort of like what is on my new buckmark.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.