Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just got an email from Joe this morning. Said he is just finishing up a run of his rests. I am the first on the cancellation list and keeping my fingers crossed because the next run will likely not ship until November. All of Joe's rests I have seen photos of here on RFC are a silver color. Here is a photo of the red rest he sent me. Anybody get their hands on one of these yet? If so is it exactly like the silver colored rests except for red anodizing or does it have some different features? John

·
Registered
1,892 Posts
Hey ohioruger,

I've seen them in gold and silver on here.

The only picture that I have saved is of one in Gold.

I'd imagine that they change the colors from year to year, to keep track of when they were made....?

Either that or maybe they do it to make them different, so they are all unique in their own way.

Please let me know how you like yours when you get it!
I'm going to get rid of my Rock rest and get one of Cowan's.....
I just have to decide what color I want as to when I order it! :D

·
Premium Member
2,173 Posts
I got one of last fall's production and it is silver. Neither of you will be disappointed if you get one. They are a fine rest and so well made they are almost a work of art. And, it is a great program that we are helping to support. Joe Cowan is doing a wonderful job leading his band of student machinists.:)

·
Registered
330 Posts
Joe Cowen rests

I am patiently awaiting mine.I just finished e-mailing him about payment as a matter of fact.He told me of a new option that you can get.They will install a thrust bearing into the vertical adjustment.This will make it adjust VERY smoothly.Ought to be pretty slick.He says they're just finishing up this next batch so maybe I can use it in next months matches.I'll post pics.

·
Registered
330 Posts
Wolf

Not a problem,I'm sure I'll be hearing from him soon.

Moorespeedr,the rest is $180 shipped,but you can add some options,like speed screw(35) and the bearing(20) you can also have him engrave something on them for I think $20.Not sure of the price of the engraving,I'll have to look it up.

·
Registered
330 Posts
Updating

Joe said that you can have the thrust bearing fitted into the older rests.He will need you to send him the base only,and the charge is $20.00 plus return shipping.Seems like a pretty good deal.:t

·
Registered
77 Posts
Guys......
I just found this thread just a minute ago.
The rests are all the same color, silver and black.
(polished aluminum and blued steel)
The rests you have seen in colors are mine.
To be truthful, the gold one is just a bad photo, over or underexposed.
The red one is the very same rest after it has been anodized.
To my knowledge, unless someone had theirs anodized, mine is the only colored rest.
We have had so many requests for colors, I regret that we just don't have the time to do it.

The new thrust bearing option promises to be a big hit, it makes vertical movement smoother and easier.

We can and will retrofit for $20.00 plus return shipping.
Machining is required.

Oh by the way.......
The school is collecting non-perishable personal items to send to our men and women in Iraq in shoe boxes.
My students voted to spend $500.00 at Sam's and buy cases of stuff like chewing gum, cards, socks, playing cards.....
And sent it to our troops.
It is all possible because of these rests.

Thank You All.
Joe Cowan

·
Registered
1,434 Posts
Info on Joe Cowan Rests?

The rest that you folks have posted looks great and I also like the idea that this is supporting students (one post seemed to indicate that). I have been looking for a replacement for my Rock. How can I get information for ordering one of these?
Thanks
Jim

·
Registered
1,983 Posts
I sent Joe the money for my rest yesterday--my rest should ship next week according to the email I received from Joe. I can't wait to try it out. I've been shooting off of sandbags for years--maybe I can adjust:) Everyone I've talked to that had one of the rests really liked it and it is a very fair price--all things considered--windage top too!!

·
Registered
1,983 Posts
I can't wait to get mine! I got an email from Joe saying they were shipping it tomorrow. I ordered a bunny ear rear bag from Natchez this afternoon and a couple of bricks of Lapau Midas so I should be ready to try the rest out by Saturday! Who said rimfire shooting was cheap? But, it's worth it for the enjoyment I get out of it. I won't know how to act with a good rest--I'm so used to the old sandbags I've been shooting off of for twenty years!! I'm keeping the sandbags for sentimental reasons:)

·
Registered
330 Posts
Kent

I know how ya feel.It's gonna be a slow week waitin' on that new rest.
I've been on the bags for a long time too.I don't think I'll keep mine though,when I made mine,all I had to fill them with was Pinto beans.hahaha Maybe I'll cook em.:D

·
Registered
1,983 Posts
hapnin--
I made my bags out of money bags that a friend gave me and filled one full of sand and the other half full. Man, I love pinto cooked in a crock pot all day and great cornbread--makes me hungry just to think about it! I got some great groups outta my Kimber with Lapau Midas ammo last Saturday off the bags. I'm hoping the rest will help me be more consistent across the IR5050 target. I seem to shift point of impact when i statr on the bottom rows of targets. I guess these things are just part of life--if'n it was easy it wouldn't be as much fun!! I was in a gun shop today and there was a Hart rest--just laying there. That's the first one I had ever seen in the shop--they had a Caldwell too. I am looking forward to the Cowan rest. Good luck with yours!
Kent

·
Registered
77 Posts
WOW! you fellas really make me feel good with all the nice comments. These rests are a more labor of love for me, not a fund-raiser. For the rests themselves, I do not get one penny. Let me tell you, the service does not stop here..... If there is ever a problem, or question, you have my e-mail. We have a 4 foot by 6 foot by 1 foot thick granite surface plate, it sure is a pretty sight seeing the entire top of that plate covered wth brand - new rests. Thanks for supporting my program and my students. Good shooting, J.Cowan

·
Registered
1,983 Posts
Joe,
You're welcome on my part. I have a feeling that I'm going to be ordering another rest when I see the one in shipment--I think my wife's gonna want one too:) Also, probably a lot of my friends too! A good product sells itself, and courteous service from a guy who is as good as his word is exhilarating these days to say the least. Thanks for making a great product--the labor of love makes it a work of art--that's what I have heard about your product-"artwork".
Sincerely,
Kent Owens

·
Registered
1,483 Posts
I was very pleasantly surprised when I got mine. Maybe stunned is a better word. This rest is one of those very rare products that looks better in your hand than in the photo - and it looks great in the photos.

John

·
Premium Member
2,173 Posts
I've never heard a complaint about a Cowan Rest, and many glowing reports. I am always singing the praises of the rests and Joe Cowan's student programs. I'm glad that you are posting here now, Joe, so we can talk to you from time to time.

I'm in the same boat as JohnBT, I will eventually get the bearing upgrade done, but I don't want to be without the rest now that the weather is JUST starting to get a little better.:t

1 - 20 of 32 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.