Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner

JC Higgins model 31, HELP

3697 Views 23 Replies 8 Participants Last post by  czechyour6
Picked up a nice little 31 with retract sling and it wont fire. It has a firing pin that will stick out when I push the back of it and the hammer falls but it wont make a mark on the brass. Any ideas? Pics show the blade edge of the firing pin is cocked at a wierd angle, but its the only way it can be installed with the notch only ground in one area for the retaining pin, DOH! :(

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

· Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
I took it out, not broken. I did some research and think I may know the problem?? Numerich lists two firing pins, one that is held with the retaining pin that goes top to bottom ( MINE) and another one that drifts sideways left to Right! Im guessing some clown put the wrong pin it ? That would change the timing close to 90 deg and make sense? well its a 15.90 fix dealer cost, will post if that was the problem when it arrives !:bthumb:

· Registered
3,460 Posts
When you install that new retaining pin, make sure it and the extractor pivot pin are below the bolts surface. If one or both are above flush, they'll drag against the inside walls of the receiver and affect extraction. I eventually found this problem on a 31 I recently bought off GB. I think the 31 is one of the sexiest looking semi's ever made.

· Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Good to know bullet bait, thanks! I hope to get the new pin in the next few days and it looked like someone had taken out that firing pin before so that also helped me suspect the wrong one may have been installed B4 :bthumb:One more thing, seems like that little guide plate for the bolt slides up and down a little but was staked to keep it moving too much on the side of the receiver, you think this is normal?

· Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
New pin arrived ! its 180 ish deg off the other one :bthumb: here is the diff on the hopefully correct one , The silver one that is the wrong one for my version has a rounded rear and isnt tapered at the mid section on both sides, where as the correct one (last photo) has a taper on both sides of the mid section. Will report if she fires good soon ! I will also have a firing pin for sale that has the retaining pin left to right !

· Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
Ok I grabbed some pliers, twisted the slugs out of two CEE BEEs I had, dumped the powder and wanted to test the firing pin in the house and make the primer go POP! well it makes kind of a light wimpy hit to the brass, and it does seem to mark it but it did NOT fire the primer :confused: wonder if the hammer spring is getting a little tired? I know some of these 22 shells you will have several that wont fire, I even rotated one to give it another go and Nutin!

· Premium Member
878 Posts
I had a JCH 31, great little gun! As far as your problem, to me, your extractor(s) don't look right. They seem to come in towards the firing pin too far. It may be the picture angle or just my eyes. In any event, if that's the case, the extractor(it's one piece with two claws) may be holding back the bolt enough that the hammer has to use a lot of it's energy to move the bolt forward, not leaving enough energy to ignite the cartridge. A simple test would be to remove the extractor completely and see if the FP impact improves. If so, the extractor may be somehow bent.

Good luck.

· Registered
5,372 Posts
Ok I grabbed some pliers, twisted the slugs out of two CEE BEEs I had, dumped the powder and wanted to test the firing pin in the house and make the primer go POP! well it makes kind of a light wimpy hit to the brass, and it does seem to mark it but it did NOT fire the primer :confused: wonder if the hammer spring is getting a little tired? I know some of these 22 shells you will have several that wont fire, I even rotated one to give it another go and Nutin!

http://i222.photobucket.com/albums/dd313/czechyour6/hit2.jpg

[IMG]http://i222.photobucket.com/albums/dd313/czechyour6/hit1.jpg[/QUOTE]

With Remington ammo, you never know whether they put primer in or not...
so it could simply be the ammo..

Try some CCI, should get a better response.

· Registered
3,460 Posts
I think part of the problem is the logo on the back of that CB case. In your photos, those strikes aren't real deep, but still should have caused ignition. Mine looks very similar to yours. These are a gritty feeling action when you cycle by hand, but the bolt should still slam shut with authority. Using CCI or Fed bulk next time, after you manually cycle the bolt for the first round, press forward on the charging handle to make sure the bolt is all the way forward.

· Registered
197 Posts
Czech, did you look inside the brass and see if the priming compound seemed to be distributed all the way around the inside of the rim?

Also, those do look like awfully light strikes...I am guessing something still isn't quite right with the firing pin/bolt relationship.

· Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I pulled the slug and powder on a Winchester and a federal and they both went POP! well its more like a muffled gerbil fart, not as loud as i thot, If I pull the bolt back it seems to extract it ok, hope to get live fire and feeding test done soon! I do think Remington priming leaves a lot to be desired :snipersmi

· Registered
3,460 Posts
Welcome back from the dark side before it was too late. Seems a lot of shooters have a majority of their portfolio investments in the Remington rimfire ammo division and feel obligated to support them. The 31 gets dirty quick enough with Fed and CCI, that I don't need to speed the process with Rem.
None of my rimfire guns have ever or will ever swallow Remington rimfire ammo. My centerfire guns, on the other hand use Remington ammo regularly.

· Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 · (Edited)
Ha ha, good point BulletBait , and that is a FINE specimen of a 31 also:bthumb: OH and anyone played with the model 30? Maybe the same gun other than big cool charging handle on Left side being the only difference? Would like to hear about the 30 as well ! That wrong firing pin I took out should fit the 29 and 30 well, I have it listed on gunbroker but will sell it to rimfirecentral guys for 15.00 shipped if anyone needs one

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.