Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner
1 - 20 of 669 Posts

·
Super Moderator
5,951 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone else getting excited about this? https://www.nasa.gov/press-release/...ope-arrives-in-french-guiana-after-sea-voyage

I sure am. After years of delays, problems, and cost overruns it's finally at the launch site. 2 more months barring unforeseen problems and it'll be flying out beyond the moon to give us views and and data about our universe that we've never had before.

Hubble has been amazing but the Webb is going to be a quantum leap beyond that.

Anyway, clear skies and keep looking up :)

Frank

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
5,951 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
$10 billion isn't much if they can get it in place, unfurled, and operational Al. It's way too far out for anything but an extraordinary repair mission so it's got to work out of the box. Bunch of big "ifs", fingers crossed we DIRTFT!

And yeah I hope Shatner goes up and comes back down in one piece. I've got mixed emotions about celebrities/billionaires taking space joy rides but it is proof of concept if nothing else.

Have a fine humpday with Mrs Infidel!

Phronk

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,239 Posts
I wonder if they double checked the metric to english conversion math when they ground the mirrors on this new telescope.

Captain Kirk is on hold on the launch pad as of my typing this. God Speed and Safe Returns.

·
Super Moderator
5,951 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I wonder if they double checked the metric to english conversion math when they ground the mirrors on this new telescope.

Captain Kirk is on hold on the launch pad as of my typing this. God Speed and Safe Returns.
Ah, the "Better, Cheaper, Faster days. NASA doesn't like to talk about that Don ;)

It was a mere $125 million dollar mistake anyway. Barely the cost of a long business lunch at today's beef prices :eek:

https://www.wired.com/2010/11/1110mars-climate-observer-report/

Experience is just doing it wrong often enough to know how to do it right!

Frank

·
Premium Member
3,155 Posts
And yeah I hope Shatner goes up and comes back down in one piece. I've got mixed emotions about celebrities/billionaires taking space joy rides but it is proof of concept if nothing else.
If anybody understands marketing better than Bezos I don't know who it is. He didn't give a seat to Wally Funk and William Shatner because he's a prince among men. As I understand it the New Shepherd is mainly or maybe only for space tourism so the longevity of the concept can be somewhat financed by the passengers. Putting two oldsters up will probably go a long way toward convincing any of the people on the edge of reserving a seat to go ahead and do it.

Or I could be wrong, Bezos might be a prince.

·
Super Moderator
5,951 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Fun video of the New Shepherd taking off and landing.

2:23:01 takeoff

2:30:00 rocket landing

2:33:02 capsule landing

Ol' Shat lived to tell the tale :)

Frank

·
Registered
2,450 Posts
Totally boring to me:sleeping:

...but yes, i do see the similarity Mike:D

pipestone

·
Registered
2,324 Posts

·
Registered
8,599 Posts
I hope the new scope makes it up without crashing. The old Hubble has been the Energizer Rabbit of space stuff, survived a lot longer than originally thought, but it can't keep operating indefinitely. A replacement should have been been done years ago. Humans may never reach what's "out there" but it's nice to be able to look anyway.

·
Super Moderator
5,951 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Sure, but can it see dark matter . . . or even neutrinos for that matter. Elusive particles and dark matter. . . . uh, matter!

Ol' Shat indeed. :eek::)

The elusive gun fraud.
No sir. But at 100X the seeing power of Hubble it can detect dark matter by observing gravitational lensing at very long distances.

Its 21.3' main mirror has an optical resolution of .07 arc-seconds. It can resolve a penny at 24 miles...about the size of a squirrel brain. It also is tuned to infrared non-visible light. Night vision! So mounted on a tight beam laser rifle one could theoretically vaporize squirrel heads quietly, at extreme distance, in the dark.

Long drive down a dark road for a dead headless squirrel but it could be done :bthumb:

Frank

·
Registered
2,324 Posts
No sir. But at 100X the seeing power of Hubble it can detect dark matter by observing gravitational lensing at very long distances.

Its 21.3' main mirror has an optical resolution of .07 arc-seconds. It can resolve a penny at 24 miles...about the size of a squirrel brain. It also is tuned to infrared non-visible light. Night vision! So mounted on a tight beam laser rifle one could theoretically vaporize squirrel heads quietly, at extreme distance, in the dark.

Long drive down a dark road for a dead headless squirrel but it could be done :bthumb:

Frank
I suppose one never knows what kind of crispy critters from the ozone and beyond one might encounter while peeping at things that have probably disappeared countess eons ago, so probably prudent to have a CZ or sumpin on-board.
All these astrophysicists are more archeologists than anything else it would seem. . .

Squarrel brain Hawking (.06 arc-sec gravitational lenser)

·
Premium Member
1,137,355 Posts

Frank
Hmm, I'll have to consult with the my urology surgeon here, green light laser surgery, about his prostate weapon of mass destruction and practicability plus cost for vaporizing wascal skwerl brains. _________ZZZZT!!

1 - 20 of 669 Posts