Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
463 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm about to purchase a new Jack Russell pup and was wondering if anyone had any experience hunting squirrels with them. He will be a family pet but I'd love to make a squirrel dog out of him if he has the right stuff. I had a good squirrel dog years ago. He was a Norwegian Elkhound and picked up treeing squirrels on his own with no training. It seems as if squirrel dogs have pretty much disappeared around this area. I know that fiests and curs are popular breeds for squirrel hunting but I'm partial to Jack Russells. Thanks for any info or tips.

·
Registered
650 Posts
I have four JRTs and they are hunting fools, I have tried all of them on squirrels and none have panned out. This is the problem, Jack Russells are bred to go to ground, in other words anything that lives in a hole in the ground they will pursue and try to kill or drive out of the hole. They are great on rats, woodchucks, fox etc. They will hunt squirrels, but when the squirrel climbs they will not tree, they will just go on and look for another one. Treeing is a bred in trait that can not really be taught. Coonhounds, Fiests, some Curs and a good percentage my Airedales will tree on climbing game, it is bred in genetically. Just as Pointers point and Labs retrieve and Border Collies herd sheep, a tree dog will tree almost naturally. There are instances of non tree dogs making good on climbing game but don't count on it.

·
Registered
42 Posts
I have a Jack Russell, and she is pretty much useless with tree animals. She has taken down 4 groundhogs and a full-grown weasel, though. She down into the hole after them, some growling and yiping occurs, 15 seconds later she comes up with a limp furry corpse in her jaw. :)

·
Registered
213 Posts
My bro's Blue Heeler will hunt anything that moves :).

My little girl's (I surely wont admit to owning this thing...it's french) toy French Poodle will tree squirrels or run them into the next zip code....and then sit at the tree trunk whining and yipping. He'll also rip up the yard trying to go down into a gopher hole.

Perferator

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.