Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
575 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thought some of you might be interested in my experience with J B Bore Cleaning Compound: We bought 2 new Beeman's R 7's .177 from Pyramyd Air about three months ago and now finally getting to shoot them. I bought some of J B Bore Cleaning Paste and just like it says when you first start the brush with the J B it is very tight and gets easier as the more strokes you do. I'm very happy with the way the procedure went. I started by putting on my stand then I put a plastic freezer bag (with a twister) on the muzzle, loose so rod would go all the way through. Second I broke open the barrel then put a three inch piece of 1" masking tape over the breech 'seal' and ran the tape forward on the barrel about 11/2" on each side; then I took a wood artist brush handle about the tapered size of a .22 cal and punched a hole in the tape (the tape will keep all the compound off the seal). Third I filled a .177 brass brush with J B Bore Paste. Fourth I pushed 'hard' on the rod, slowly... and it's tight...All the way through...out of muzzle. Then pulled back out completely...I did this 12 times (20 times isn't gospel)( started getting easier on the fourth stroke) and just like they say on Pyramyd Air you can feel the difference the more strokes you do. Do not stop brush in barrel and push/pull the opposite way that you were going, you must go all the way through the barrel in each direction. Fifth I removed the masking tape carefully (no compound on seal) then I temporarily removed plastic bag from muzzle and took a Q-Tip and cleaned of excess J B Bore Paste from muzzle, then put plastic bag back on the muzzle, then wiped off rod and put 'cleaning jag' on rod and pushed patches through till they came out clean and they all fell in the bag (good idea to wipe rod with every push through stroke). The bore turned out nice and shinny. Then finally ran patch with some Birchwood Casey 'Sheath'...very sparingly through bore. Lubricated my hinge points and wiped down and now we are ready to go do some shooting. Wiped down stock with silicone cloth. Turned out nice. We were able to buy the new checkered model R 7's and Beeman's has done a nice job on them. At least we Thankfully got ours before the price increase.
It was a messy job for me (plastic bag sure helped)...kept forgetting to wipe down cleaning rod...had to hold on to barrel to push rod through bore because of the tight fitting of the .177 brass brush. Try to also use a proper length cleaning rod. Mine was longer than what I would have liked. Best to use 1 pc rod. Hope this does help some that have not done this procedure before. If anyone else has done this procedure and has devised a good way..My ears are open.....

·
Registered
2,664 Posts
I think that bore paste must do a great job on cleaning and polishing.I have some but havent tried it yet.Have you ever thought of using the paste with a bore mop ?That way,the paste can do the polishing and yet be easy one the rifling.I like the way you were able to protect the seal on the rifle. Im always curious how a polished barrel would chrony test against an unpolished barrel (before and after test). Thanks for the info and post back with results .

·
Registered
575 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Re: J B Bore Paste

17remfan
Listen to this video I think you'll enjoy...I'll see if I can find the information that I've read over the time. Pyramyd Air has a good article on it and some have explained what it does....does cut down on friction and takes out the roughness in the bore. I'll see what I can find.

https://www.uspborepaste.com/borepaste/mov/USPmovie.htm

Hopefully you can see it...it is on Youtube. USP Bore Paste

This a firearm so is a little different but same idea.

·
Registered
2,066 Posts
I was just thinking that...hey 17remfan...shot the Gamo today and did.."ok" but I think we need to investigate if our barrel is "leading up" as I just notice mine is leaded up...which might account for an accuracy issue.

I was at 50 yards and shot at a small squirrel silh..it was hitting 4/6 times..so it was doing something weird..and at 25 yards, I'm about an inch in groups..that was much bigger than I was shooting a couple of days ago.

So, apparently JSBs are too soft..so Don't use them.

I'll post something later on.

getting busy here

·
34,843 Posts
I used JB Bore Compound on my 22-250 and .243 for years and both have obores like mirrors and shoot very well ( both are .5 MOA rifles or better).

I am a firm believer in this stuff.

·
Registered
2,664 Posts
Im glad apachebrave brought this subject up .I just used the JB paste for the first time on my new unfired GM heavy barrel, the CZ varmint .17 and a 686 SW. They all came out great.As an example, you know how 357 get chamber fouling rings from shooting .38s ,well this thing is gleaming now with no rings. My 357 thanks you .I cant help but think an ocasional use to our air rifles would be of help.Ill be checking a few of mine and doing some testing soon.

·
Registered
575 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
Re: J B Bore Compound

I was really impressed at to what the bore looked like and how smooth it got the more strokes I ran through. I'm also now thinking about using on some of my other guns. I just felt good about it.

When I did mine I did not wrap patch around brush as shown in rhe video. I used same caliber size brass brush (only on steel barrels) and filled brush with the Paste. There is an article on Pyramyd Air that tells how to do it the way I did. Just know need to find it again unless someone else can find it before me.

I do think when I do some other calibers I will do like the video, with one size smaller caliber brush with patch wrapped around. It was nice to see bore with the borescope before and after.

I did also think that video was interesting...gave me more courage to do it.....!!!! Sometimes get concerned about messing up the bore....

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.