Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2,470 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It's perfect! Dupli-Color, Low Gloss Black, Engine Enamel is a perfect match for the paint on the 10-22 reciever. I picked it up on a whim at Wall-Mart the other day because I needed to repaint my reciever and WOW, it matches exactly.

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
Cool!

Did you bake it on after the touch up? Just a HOT hair dryer will set that stuff up pretty well. Warm it up until AFTER you can't touch it! ;) Makes it a little less prone to solvent damage during cleaning.
FWIW!:D

Take Care - Dakotan

·
Registered
2,470 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
You guys understand that I live in A R I Z O N A, right! All I have to do is put it outside for a while and it will superheat all by itself.

Besides, it was not a touch up. It was a complete repaint.

·
Registered
322 Posts
engine spray paint comes in a few colors. Black, orange, red, and a couple shades of blue. I don't think the receiver would ever get hot enough to need engine paint. Heck, engines don't need engine paint. I have spray painted several engine blocks with the same paint that the car's body was painted with (using primer first), with excellent results. The only place it ever discolors, is around the exhaust ports, which are super hot.

·
Registered
2,470 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
True. The reciever doesn't need the high temp charracteristics of engine paint, I simply picked this because I han never seen "low gloss" paint before. It is actually a bonus that it matches the Ruger paint. I know that it comes in other colors however Idon't know if they have any other colors in low gloss. I am going to WM within the hour and I will let you know what CJ and I find.

·
Registered
2,470 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Duplicolor has many different colors available in regular and engine enamel but the Low Gloss type is only available in the black engine enamel at my WallyMart.

·
Registered
752 Posts
Thats ok, I could deal with a shiny blue! Hmm, maybe a blue metalic flake for the receiver and trigger guard. The barrel is a VQ Carbon Fiber THM that I'll leave black to match the trigger and mag release.

·
Registered
3,732 Posts
Hummmm repainting the reciever ...... my wife loved the Grape color of my old carbine stock! Well not today but it does spark an idea or two! :D

·
Registered
35 Posts
You can also try your locla auto parts store for "engine" enamels. I have used them with great results for many things. I just recently finished up the stock on my mini-14. I took out to the shoot yesterday and many people thought I had bought a new synthetic stock, mission acomplished!!!!! I have 8 coats of satin black, 20 hours of wet sanding between coats (total that is) and 5 coats of clear when all was said and done. It looks like super smooth synthetic material, no wood grain what so ever. If my pc worked like it should I'd post up a pic, but it tried to mess up the other board I post on so...........

·
Registered
28 Posts
If anything goes...

I'm new to this 10/22 biz (great site!), so maybe someone has done this already....

What about one of the prismatic style automotive paints that are now available in spray bombs at the local auto parts store? These are paints that "change color" when viewed from diferent angles. It's not my thing, but to each their own.

And don't forget about the various "bake on" gun coatings avialable from Brownell's...works on steel and aluminum. Paint it all to match!

--Otter

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.