Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner

Its closer to done!

418 Views 9 Replies 5 Participants Last post by  gmcfixer
Hey guys,

Got some paint on my son's stock last night ..... here is a picture for a preview but its not the greatest lighting. The color if you can't tell is Saphire Blue metalic ...... think 69 Z28!

Got one spot that is not acceptable so I'll try to touch it up, but if not I'll reshoot the whole thing!

Dave Z.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

34,878 Posts
Give that baby some white stripes and you have it! That has always been one of my favorite color schemes. Two of the best cars EVER were the 69 Z28 and the Boss 302 Mustang. The Trams Am races of the times with Mark Donahue in Penske's Z 28, Parnelli in the Boss, Dan Gurney and Swede Savage in the MOPARS were some of the greatest racing ever.

Using that color on a stock is too cool!

· Registered
3,500 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Vincent said:
Give that baby some white stripes and you have it! That has always been one of my favorite color schemes. Two of the best cars EVER were the 69 Z28 and the Boss 302 Mustang. The Trams Am races of the times with Mark Donahue in Penske's Z 28, Parnelli in the Boss, Dan Gurney and Swede Savage in the MOPARS were some of the greatest racing ever.

Using that color on a stock is too cool!
Lets not forget some Red/White/Blue paint schemed cars that did well in the Trans Am series. Lets see was it Kelvinator that made them? :D :D :D

......................................................................................................

Ozob,

White stripes and not just a great reference that is the color I used.

Dave Z.

34,878 Posts
Nope! they were what Mark drove the next year, 1970. AMC Javelins they were and like anything that Penske/Donahue did they were pretty,fast and had what Donahue always was looking for (remembering that he was a first rate engineer as well as one of the finest drivers of his time) the "unfair advantage".

My favorite Donahue story was when they got the 12 cyl. Ferrari prototype racer from the factory. Donahue and his guys took it apart down to the last rivet and put it back together, sent the engine to Traco Engineering (famous for small block Chevies). If memory serves they were ONLY 12 mph faster than the factory Ferrari!!! Pissed old man Ferrari off. THAT car was blue too I think. I miss those days.

· Registered
1,144 Posts
This is way off track at this point, but I see I am among brothers...
I bet you guys also remember the Gulf gasoline add from the time. Gulf No Knocks. Had a 69 Z28 hammering around a track.... Wild engine sounds. Screeching rubber. The tag line under the images: "No knock, no ping, no funny noise". Man, that was my favorite ad....

· Registered
3,500 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Vincent said:
Nope! they were what Mark drove the next year, 1970. AMC Javelins they were and like anything that Penske/Donahue did they were pretty,fast and had what Donahue always was looking for (remembering that he was a first rate engineer as well as one of the finest drivers of his time) the "unfair advantage".
Yes you are correct ..... I wasn't really being specific to the year in my post about the AMCs (for those who didn't know that was what the Kelvinator comment was about) which it was 70 and 71 they won the series wasn't it? My mother had a 71 Javelin for a while but it only had a little 304, which ran good for a 2 bbl small V-8. But then again my brother then later bought a 70 Javelin in 78, which he owned till 97 and it had at least 6 different motors in it over that time frame. For a while he had a 9" ford w/3.70 gears, a BW 4 speed and a 343 w/ ported dogleg heads, a huge solid lifter cam (I do mean huge), torker intake matched to the heads and a 700 DP holley and Mallory Unilite w/MSD. That thing was a terror, w/ that 343 he took on a Modified LS-6 69 camaro that was taking a lot of folks money ...... the camaro lost by a large margin, then the guy rather than paying up hung a u-turn and headed back over the bridge to Tampa. My brother still has his 68 AMX which he has tubbed out and runs a 390 built close to what that 343 was (some of the exact same parts) just more carb. I like some of what all car makers put out, but with my brother's AMCs I learn to apprecate the Ramblers! I'll have to hunt up some pictures somewhere.

Dave Z.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.