Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,642 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone familiar with the Ithaca model '72 saddle gun in .22 WMR.
This rifle was made by "Erme Werke W. Germany & marketed by Ithaca. Appears to be well made & accurate.
Any info. would be appreciated.:

·
Registered
2,709 Posts
The last reference I have available on the '72 is in a 1977 Gun Digest (my issues from 78-82 were evidently lost in a move).

It is listed in a Standard Grade in WMR at $159.95 and also has a De Luxe grade (engraved silver receiver, octagon barrel, steel butt plate and semi-fancy wood) listed at $199.95, but does not list a WMR version specifically in that configuration.

Erma made several versions of this rifle that were imported to the US under their own name in the mid 80's. The few that I've seen were very nice.

Hope this helps.

JB

·
Registered
8 Posts
:eek: Arrrrgh!! I had a model 72 for years, loaned it to a "friend" who managed to tumble it into the Mountain Fork River in Oklahoma, and was never able to retrieve it. (The bastage!) :mad:

That was the sweetest-shootin' little levergun I ever had! Sucker was a genuine tack-driver, and just an all-round pleasure to shoot.

If you EVER decide you don't want it, email me at ONCE (PLEASE!) at: [email protected] and I'll HAPPILY take it off your hands.

Congratulations :( on your acquisition, shoot it and enjoy it!

·
Registered
28 Posts
Seem's as if I've read somewhere that Erma sold the design of their .22 lever gun and it is now sold as the Henry Rifle. I think the parts may even be interchangable.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Stingrey said:
Seem's as if I've read somewhere that Erma sold the design of their .22 lever gun and it is now sold as the Henry Rifle. I think the parts may even be interchangable.
If you remember where you read that, PLEASE let me know! I've wanted to replace the 72 my Squid buddy sacrificed to the Mountain Fork River for over 20 years now. Replacing it with a new one,,,,, well,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, :D :D :D :D

·
Registered
5,084 Posts
Ithaca Model 72 Saddlegun

Gentlemen,

FWIW, from the "Blue Book of Gun Values", 20th ED.:
Ithaca Model 72 Saddlegun: .22LR or .22 Mag. cal., lever action, 18 1/2" barrel, hooded front sight, mfg'd. 1973 to 1978 by Erma-Werke, W. Germany.
Erma EG712 Lever Action: .22LR cal., Win M94 copy, tubular magazine, 18 1/2" barrel, mfg'd. 1976 to 1997.
Erma rifles were imported/sold by Mandall Shooting Supplies, Scottsdale, AZ..

Erma-Werke went bankrupt in October, 1997.....! ! :(

Erma Werke's assets and tooling were purchased by Erma Suhl, GmbH of Suhl, Germany, in January, 1998, and manufacturing of the Erma-Werke products has resumed.....! ! :)

I can find no reference to tie the rifle to Henry Repeating Arms Co. ..! ! :(

Hope this helps.....! !

·
Registered
8 Posts
Thanks for the info, Big Mike. Did a search and found that the company you mentioned did, indeed, resume production of the Erma line of rifles. However....... "no plans to export any products into the U.S." :( :( :(

·
Registered
8 Posts
BigMike said:
Mountainman,

Got time to pack your bags; Germany is nice in the late Spring....! ! ;)
:D LOL, yeah, as much as I liked that old 72 it would almost be worth it. However, given Germany's actions of late in both the UN and NATO, I don't think I'd go over there if the Swedish Bikini Team was waitin' for me nekkid at the airport. :p

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.