Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
2,368 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just received one of those nifty clear ruger 10 round rotary magazines... the fit is so snug in the receiver that i have to practically pry the thing out while holding the magazine release. Does anyone else have this issue... any easy way to remedy it??

btw. the magazine that came with the rifle fits perfectly and is the only mag i have ever used in it. the rifle is also at least 12 years old.

·
Registered
166 Posts
I had the same problem on both of my clear magazines. I took them apart and looked for the problem. Nothing that I could detect was wrong. I put them back together but wound the spring a little tighter and now they both fit and work fine.
Go figure.
Dave

P.S. The magazine's were also purchased from Midway. Like I said I pulled them apart and reassembled them, now they work fine. To all of 5 minutes

·
Registered
458 Posts
Sand the inside if the stock where the magazine is!! That fixes it.
Don't get me wrong as I am not chastising your suggestion. In general, I have found that it is always better to modify the problem piece that doesn't fit and not the receptor. I would clearance the mag to fit. You may want to return it before you modify the dimensions. Those are expensive and they may refuse an altered return. Waxing will help with mag installation and removal. A good quality canuba
wax will stand up for a while.

·
Registered
2,368 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Don't get me wrong as I am not chastising your suggestion. In general, I have found that it is always better to modify the problem piece that doesn't fit and not the receptor. I would clearance the mag to fit. You may want to return it before you modify the dimensions. Those are expensive and they may refuse an altered return. Waxing will help with mag installation and removal. A good quality canuba
wax will stand up for a while.
ill send an email to midwayusa, to see if they will take it back.

·
Registered
886 Posts
Midway

ill send an email to midwayusa, to see if they will take it back.
Midway will take anything back. Both Midway and Brownell's set the standard for good customer service. :t

Having said that, I would lightly sand the stock in the magazine area.

·
Registered
2,368 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Midway will take anything back. Both Midway and Brownell's set the standard for good customer service. :t

Having said that, I would lightly sand the stock in the magazine area.
the stock is a hogue OM, and when the magazine goes in and out of the mag well it doesn't touch any part of the stock.. weird.

·
Registered
886 Posts
the stock is a hogue OM, and when the magazine goes in and out of the mag well it doesn't touch any part of the stock.. weird.
How about taking the stock off (in a well lighted area) and inserting the magazines one at a time.

That way you can eliminate the stock as a problem, and possibly be able to see what is causing the tight fit.

How do the mags look when compared side by side?

What about calling Midway to see if they have had any other complaints.

·
Registered
53 Posts
I also had a problem with the clear factory mags. I ordered two of them, one

fit and worked perfecty, the other one would not go in the gun at all. No part

of the mag was touching the stock. When I looked at them side by side, the

one that would not fit was definitely larger than the other.

·
Registered
297 Posts
I thought i was the only was having this problem.....I have 3 regular ,and one clear.The clear 1 is very diificult to remove.....I think I'll try some of the suggestions,and see if they work....This site is great,for finding out info.....

·
Registered
886 Posts
This site is great,for finding out info.....
That's why I joined team RFC. It's only $10.00 a year, and I believe that I get a great deal more useful knowledge from this site than from any gun magazine. :t

·
Registered
1,298 Posts
I had that same problem with the Hogue overmold stock with both the clear and the black mags. I had to trim off excess overmold, as well as file and sand down the mag well of the stock - big time. Now the mags drop free. I think it's the stock.

·
Registered
1,972 Posts
this is why everyone should have some calipers, even some cheap harbor freight ones. 30 seconds with a pair of calipers and both types of stock magazines will tell you if they are the same size or not.

·
Registered
886 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
I just posted over on This Thread before I saw this one.

I also bought the clear mags that are currently on sale at Midway, my 10/22 came with a clear mag that slips in and out smoothly but these are tighter. It's not really bothering me personally, they are a bit harder to insert but I figure a snug fit can't hurt. The new mags are from a different mold but I can't tell the difference in dimensions holding them side by side.

I definitely need to get a pair of calipers, I would measure them if I had some but I'm sure all it takes is a bit on sanding on the mags, but as I said I can't tell the difference visually.

·
Registered
56 Posts
I recently purchased 4 of the clear magazines from Midway. 3 worked perfectly, and one fit tight and had 3 FTFs in two magazine loads (20 rounds). I have kept that magazine separate from the other three, but haven't had a chance to look into it yet.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.