Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm pretty new to rimfires, just starting to get into it. A couple months ago I got my first rifle, a Marlin 980S. I love this rifle, but since I got it, all it seems to have done is given me the itch for another one. The ammo's cheap and boy these rimfires are fun! I keep trying to justify the purchase of another rifle, especially considering my *cough cough* limited budget by saying stuff like "Well, if I bought another rifle then my friends (most of whom don't own firearms) would have something to shoot when they go out with me." As nice as looking out for my friends sounds, I think I just want another .22 for me :D Is there something wrong with me? I mean, I already have a rifle, right? That's what I tell myself. Then I get back on these forums and start thinking about how much more is out there.... Maybe all rimfire shooters have some chemical defficiency that causes them to always want another one.... Anyway, I guess this post just is asking for reassurance that I'm not alone in this internal struggle. You guys have a nice day. Oh, btw, for the next rifle, I'm thinking a semi-auto... probably a 10/22, mod 60, or 795. Is there any cure for this madness?

·
Registered
555 Posts
Idunno445 said:
I'm pretty new to rimfires, just starting to get into it. A couple months ago I got my first rifle, a Marlin 980S. I love this rifle, but since I got it, all it seems to have done is given me the itch for another one. The ammo's cheap and boy these rimfires are fun! I keep trying to justify the purchase of another rifle, especially considering my *cough cough* limited budget by saying stuff like "Well, if I bought another rifle then my friends (most of whom don't own firearms) would have something to shoot when they go out with me." As nice as looking out for my friends sounds, I think I just want another .22 for me :D Is there something wrong with me? I mean, I already have a rifle, right? That's what I tell myself. Then I get back on these forums and start thinking about how much more is out there.... Maybe all rimfire shooters have some chemical defficiency that causes them to always want another one.... Anyway, I guess this post just is asking for reassurance that I'm not alone in this internal struggle. You guys have a nice day. Oh, btw, for the next rifle, I'm thinking a semi-auto... probably a 10/22, mod 60, or 795. Is there any cure for this madness?
Yes my friend, there is something wrong with you. As SHREDINATOR stated you do have 'Rimfireitis'. You got it when you bought your first rifle. It is a virus that all rimfire guns carry. The first time you hold, and fire a rimfire rifle the bug gets into your system. There really is no cure, and it will wind up costing you ALLOT over time.

However, the cost of the illness is nothing compared to the enjoyment, and pure FUN you will get out of the hobby.

For your next rifle you can't go wrong with either a Ruger 10/22 or a Marlin Model 60. I currently have THREE 10/22s, and TWO Model 60's.

The only 'relief' you can get for this affliction is burning up lots of ammo. Believe me, you WILL burn up lot of ammo once you accumulate so many guns.

I have purchased more rifles in the past 7 months than I have in my whole adult life.

Have fun, be safe and Good Shooting!

·
Registered
872 Posts
Definitely nothing wrong with you. If there is, then we're all afflicted. There's always another one that may be the rifle of your dreams. ;)

I posted sometime back that I thought the ammo manufacturers are secretly adding an addictive substance to gun powder. I was teaching my 12 yr old nephew to shoot last year and he took a deep breath and said he like the smell of the gunpowder. Now he wants to go all the time....go figure.

You didn't say if you were single or married. If you're single, save some money and go for it. If you're married, use the excuse that you thought she might want to shoot also. :p

22's are definitely fun to shoot. They're inexpensive, ammo is cheap, they're not too loud, tons of variety, good for fun plinking, target shooting, hunting small game, fun competition and serious competition.

·
Registered
2,558 Posts
Yep, There sure is something wrong with you. You only have one. You need more. When you have 5 or 6 ask yourself this same question, then come here and ask this same question. I`ll then tell you there is something wrong with you again. You only have 6. You need more, but for sure you really will want more.

·
Registered
2,232 Posts
I only want a couple more 10/22's. I can stop if I want to. I don't need more .22's, but they are so much fun. A few more,,,,,,then I'll stop. What could that hurt?
Maybe a couple more .17's, a .17 m2 10/22 conversion, A pac lite upper for my mark II, NAA black widow, a Volquartsen fusion takedown rifle, and a couple more .22 pistols. I can stop any time I want to. I just don't want to. Do I sound like I need help?

·
Registered
2,726 Posts
Is there any cure for this madness?[/QUOTE said:
Seek professional help, IMMEDIATELY! This could lead to serious disorders--gun collections, and --pardon me for mentioning this on a family site-- GUN CARESSING and ADMIRATION! :eek: OH, the SHAME of it all! :1t

Religion also may help. If your counseling sessions with the nearest Gun Store professional don't help, genuflect deeply before the display counter, extending money in your right hand. THAT will solve your problem before it degenerates into serious consequences, such as kissing girls, tree and girl hugging, and....I shudder to mention...Fern Fondling. :p :)

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
Newmoss: Actually, I'm single. I'm 18, graduating from high school in a couple weeks (almost out of that place!) After that, heading to college. And we know how much money students are known to have... Sounds to me like I'd better start saving up to buy another one and *hopefully* gain a temporary respite from this perpetual Rimfireitis itch... :)

I appreciate you guys' replies. Not that they helped me any in my seemingly impossible fight at this addiction that is apparently going to spirit money out of my already-thin wallet and cause me to spend even more time reading old posts on this site. You guys are just fueling the fire :) I can feel the itch getting worse... I just found myself justifiying it by saying, "My sister likes shooting... I could take her out if I bought another one." What am I becoming? A mere minion of the rimfire rifle? Resistance seems to be futile. But yeah, I appreciate the replies. :D

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I did end up going through a mild case of scope fever after I picked up my 980S. I think I was one of the few survivors, getting through it without actually getting a scope. Just kept telling myself to learn iron sights pretty well before switching over to the "fancy stuff." On the bright side, it did end with me saving up some money (the money that is making up the beginning of my "I need a new .22" fund). I can definitely see me getting a case of scope fever in a couple months that I won't be able to fight, though. Maybe I should take preventative measures. *thinks about it* ............... Maybe not.

·
Registered
62 Posts
I just went pass the 25 mark(That would be 25 Rifles,I wish I was still 25
that passed 22 years ago ) a few days ago but what makes me feel bad is I only have two 22 pistols........................plus I know where a Winchester 77, Rem 512 and 514 are and it is driving me crazy because everytime I drive near them I can here them calling me.....Nows whos crazy

·
Registered
872 Posts
Idunno: Leave hints for your b'day, do odd jobs like washing your parents car or relatives car, mow their yard, anything like that to get that little extra each week. This way you won't feel guilty when you purchase the one that's around the corner. You used "crazy money" not college funds! I work overtime each week and put aside some of it for my purchases.

Plus, you can go shoot targets when you need to vent after you start college. You know, relieve tension. Forgot to mention, 22's are also therapeutic........... :)

·
Registered
666 Posts
yer done for. while there is no cure the affliction can be managed only through heavy counseling by a fully credentialed FFL-holding dealer and aroma-therapy (blue smoke wafting from the breech of a freshly fired .22).

Roger

·
Registered
3,456 Posts
Lets put it this way: 25 yrs old and only 22 pistols? Sounds like your at least 3 short to by my math. Of course if I use the same formula, I would be a bone dragging 83 :)

Look at it this way, Guns are functional art. Art collecting sure is allot more respectable that dumping your $ into a drug, drinking or gambling habbit. IF :rolleyes: you ever get well, you'll get most of your $ back

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 · (Edited)
Call me crazy (yeah... I think we all are) but I enjoy the smell of the smoke when you open the bolt. Probably destroying my ever-so-precious braincells. But oh well. As for the money situation, I've mostly been doing odd jobs to scrape together some money. Now that school's winding down and I don't know what to do with all my spare time, I'm considering getting *gasp!* a job to help fund this addiction. Kinda like a habit I gotta feed. And I still just have one........ there should be warning stickers printed on the ammo/gun boxes. Or in the information that comes with it. Something to let the new shooter know what he is getting himself into. IF I HAD ONLY KNOWN!!!! Ok, even if I did know, I probably would have bought it anyway :) And you're right, Tacoma, there are worse things I could be spending my money on....

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.