Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

· Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been reading all over this site for a while now and I am now wondering something. Is there any 10/22 parts that you can't upgrade. Could someone build a complete 10/22 by mail order parts?

Or a possibly simpler question. What part of the 10/22 did I register that can't/shouldn't be replaced? (CA law)

· Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The receiver is what you register and the funny thing is that you could actually replace that too. :D
vshank said:
the receiver housing with the serial number.
This is what I was thinking. So can I legally replace it if I wanted to? Do the after market receiver housings have their own S/N? If not what happens if you get cought with a gun that has no S/N? Or is this just a CA thing I have to live with?

· Registered
4,869 Posts
This is what I was thinking. So can I legally replace it if I wanted to? Do the after market receiver housings have their own S/N? If not what happens if you get cought with a gun that has no S/N? Or is this just a CA thing I have to live with?
The aftermarket receiver would have to be shipped to an FFL in your area and transferred to you just like a complete firearm. All new firearms and receivers are required to have a serial number.

Wasn't it the GCA of 1968 that started requiring serial numbers on .22's? There are a bunch of .22 rifles on the market with no serial number.

I've been eyeballing the Nodak Spud receiver.

http://www.nodakspud.com/NDS-22.htm

· Registered
395 Posts
The part of the gun with the serial number by law IS the gun. You could replace the ruger receiver, but you would have to go through any paperwork that goes with buying a new rifle.

You would legaly be getting a new rifle, not replacing a part.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.