Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner

Is there a better all around ammo than CCI's Mini-Mags?

2K views 27 replies 23 participants last post by  Ron AKA 
#1 ·
If you had to buy one type of ammo for 10 different .22lrs, what would you choose to give the best mix of accuracy and reliability? I'm leaving cost out since that's very subjective. Ignoring higher priced match ammo, and considering it will be used for paper punching, hunting, varmint control, and whatever else people use .22s for.

When I go out to try a new rifle, I keep finding that mini-mags always function, always shoot well, and don't break the bank. I know each rifle has its preferred ammo, but I've never seen one that flat out hated MMs.

Maybe call it your desert island ammo.

#2 ·
Ive always found the same thing to be true! The Mini-Mags have been my go to ammo for general purpose shooting and hunting for many years. They are very consistant, shoot very well in just about any .22, can be found at about any store that sells ammo and is resonable in price!:bthumb:

#3 ·
OK you asked for it LOL. Remington GB bulk pack. not the old junk the new production. it is great ammo. accurate and reliable in all my guns. just as good as or better than MM. mucho cheaper too.

#17 ·
Remington GB bulk pack. not the old junk the new production. it is great ammo. accurate and reliable in all my guns. just as good as or better than MM. mucho cheaper too.
nemohunter,
When (what year) did the GB change from JUNK to "new and great"? Is there a Remington date code that one can read to determine the "good/new" stuff from the bad? The GM I used several years ago was not as reliable firing as CCI MiniMag. Jams, failures to fire, failure to eject in my auto (about 10%) ; occasional fail to fires (about 3%) in bolt rifles. I am willing to try GM again, but need a bit more information first on how to tell the old from the new.

#5 ·
I have not shot any nemo but have been hearing the same thing. They (Golden Bullet) seem to be to be doing very well in the "Cheap Ammo" game in SuperStock Bolt Action Forum. Have to try some.

For me the two Federal American Eagles do it. AE22 is a 38 gr H.P. copper that was an excellent hunting round and AE5022 the 40 gr lead for everything else. AE2250 is shooting 1 to 1.25 MOA at 100 yards in FIVE of my 22s:eek: :eek: Not bad for $1.65 a box ammo.

There is nothing wrong with Mini Mags but they are a little more money and for me just a bit less accurate. Having said that when someone is having trouble getting a 22 semi to function or any 22 to shoot I always recommend trying Mini Mags because they are reliable to a fault.

#6 ·
I've been afraid to try any of the Remingtons because of issues in the past. I'll pick some up to try again.

One thing I like about the MMs is that they give accuracy that ranges from acceptable to outstanding in every gun I've tried, and they always work.

The availability thing is great too. No need to order online or drive 50 miles one way in the snow uphill etc.

I've had the same experience with semis that didn't want to run with other brands. Seems if it wont function with MMs, it probably won't function with anything.

#7 ·
I have a bolt action, so I'm not too concerned about how they operate in the gun, other than go bang and shoot straight. I would have to say that MiniMags are nearly the worst of 26 or so different loads that I tested for accuracy. In order of best to worst and excluding the more expensive target stuff as you requested these all tested better than MiniMags (I only tested the solid point version, and in my experience SP is almost always more accurate than HP).

CCI Standard Velocity
Remington Cyclone
CCI Velocitor
Federal Gold Medal 719
CCI Stinger
Win Dynapoint
Win T22
Win X22LR
CCI Blazer
Federal Champion 745

The MiniMag came next with a 50 yard group size of just over 1". And these were worse still from bad to really bad:

Win X22LRH
Rem Yellow Jacket
Rem Viper

I wouldn't buy MiniMags again no matter what they cost. Perhaps a bad batch, don't know - but they had their chance and blew it. Way too many other better alternatives at least for my gun.

Ron

#8 ·
If you had to buy one type of ammo for 10 different .22lrs, what would you choose to give the best mix of accuracy and reliability?
As a direct answer to that question, CCI standard velocity solid point - or rebranded as CCI subsonic - is my prefered 'go-to' round for all my guns. Another favorite, tho not as good in ALL my guns, is Aquila Super Extra standard velocity solids.

#14 ·
I generally use a subsonic round most all of the time, but when I go to a high velocity round, it's usually Power Points. My Ruger Pistol runs great with them.

#16 ·
CCI Minimag has been my go to ammo for all my 22 rimfires. It is the most reliable firing ammo that I have. It is not the most accurate, nor is it the worst. It is the only ammo that will fire 100% reliably in my Walther P22. I can't say that for any other ammo that I have tried. I don't recall it every failing to fire (or to feed properly in autos).

#18 ·
Mini-Mags - they work phenominally well in my CZ453 - my best group is 10 rounds in 3/8 inch at 50 yards. I can't come close to that with anything else, including expensive target ammo. My other guns like it, but I generally use Blazers for plinking.

I wish we could still buy MMs for $2.50 per box....

John Davies
Spokane WA

#20 ·
everything that i have bought in the last year 525 flat boxes and 550 tall boxes has been excellent. i had the same bad taste in my mouth from Rem of the past. i bought a box for my barrel re-work experiment and found it to be excellent. bought a bunch more post haste.

the reason for the bad taste was i had a pocket full of ammo when i was out hunting and got rained on. the ammo got damp just like me and it just quit working period. 100% failure to fire.

#21 ·
"When I go out to try a new rifle, I keep finding that mini-mags always function, always shoot well, and don't break the bank. I know each rifle has its preferred ammo, but I've never seen one that flat out hated MMs."
I'm in complete agreement with you. I buy some cheaper stuff (Winchester Wildcats and Remington Thunderbolts) for plinking at tin cans, but CCI MiniMags are still my favorites. Rifle, revolver, or semi-auto. I've had great luck with all CCI ammo, Stingers and Velocitors included. They're not cheap, and as you can guess, I only like high-velocity rounds. Some might like sub-sonic rounds, but I have no interest in them.

#22 ·
I like a few subs, but the problem is they don't function as well in semis. If we were to remove semi-autos out of the equation, I think MMs might be less appealing as an all around er... round.

When all I shot was a bolt action, my ammo choices were much less constrained.

#27 ·
While this subject is up for discussion......hope this doesn't stretch it too far...

I was wondering about the Eley HV 37,40 gn versions

and how about the Lapua Hunter or maybe its Sport, the new HV round that covered Laupa HP - speed ace - standard club?

pipestone

#28 ·
how about the Lapua Hunter or maybe its Sport, the new HV round that covered Laupa HP - speed ace - standard club?
I tested the Lapua HP and Speed Ace. The HP was better for accuracy, and easily the best HP I tested for accuracy. It produced group sizes half that of the MiniMag. However, the cost is an issue at $78 a brick as I recall. I would rather use Lapua Super Club which is a bit more accurate at $40, and give up a little speed and the HP.

I was not aware Lapua was going to offer anything to replace the HP, Speed Ace, Club, and Super Club. Thought the lowest quality in the new lineup was Center-X, which I believe replaces Master M, but an increased price -- over $80?

http://www.lapua.com/index.php?id=898

Ron

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.