Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
4,270 Posts
Pretty certain it's too old for an interwebs browser.

Not too old for games, though. I follow a guy on the yootooobs that just released a game specifically based on the fonts it has. Petscii robots.

·
Registered
878 Posts
Years back, after not using my C64 for about ten years, I put it in a garage sale box with OBO for the price. A guy stops by and is very interested and offers me well more than I paid for the thing. I was ecstatic with the sale and he was nearly in tears with the joy of his great find and his "steal" of a price. That is the way commerce should be....willing seller, willing buyer, and mutually agreeable price.

·
Registered
710 Posts
Funny

You guys think old does not work anymore.

I used to run a print shop that cut vinyl. The vinyl cutting is the only thing I still do. But the old cutter has a computer I bought in 1997 still running it. Think it is still running Windows 3.1.

The computer and cutter still work good, not so much me.

Chuck40219

·
Premium Member
5,167 Posts
You guys think old does not work anymore.

I used to run a print shop that cut vinyl. The vinyl cutting is the only thing I still do. But the old cutter has a computer I bought in 1997 still running it. Think it is still running Windows 3.1.

The computer and cutter still work good, not so much me.

Chuck40219
It is kind of funny because people do not know how much old equipment is still out there running the world. back around 2000 I was running a computer shop and my partner was a packrat. Well We saved a company about ten grand. They had a cnc machine motherboard go bad. Luckily we had the same 486 motherboard in a pile of saved stuff. Otherwise machine was dead without the computer upgrade.

·
Registered
4,270 Posts
I have had customers across every industry both private and gub'munt, and it blows your mind at some of the equipment they still have running. Healthcare, Power, Financial, Chemical, Manufacturing, Aerospace, Education, Military, I honestly can't think of any sector where I've not encountered this.

Not saying everything is run on old tech, nor that every company has it, just that there are pockets of it in places you wouldn't expect.

If it ain't broke, don't fix (or replace) it.

·
Premium Member
1,772 Posts
I remember reading a while back that some of the IBM computers the FAA used were replaced by newer ones running an emulator so they could run the original programming. Writing a good emulator is easier than writing new flight software.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts