Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi

Im about to buy my fist rimfire. The one i like is Ruger 10/22 Target (Varmint) Laminate stock and stainles heavy barrel.
The only thing i dont like is the price, $722 here in Sweden.
I will not modify it in any way, maby get a lighter trigger assembly in the future.
So my question is, is it worth it?
Or should i go with a Remington 597 with laminate stock and heavy barrel? It's $555 with a Shirstone 3-9x40 scope.

Thanks in advance // Johan H

·
Registered
536 Posts
are thoes $$ ammounts = to USD? i got the K10/22T for about 300. Its a great beautiful gun, but that price is rather high.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi

Yes, thats US $
Semi auto .22 has just been legal for hunting in Sweden so
thats why the prices are rather high i think.

// Johan H

·
Registered
536 Posts
well, can you order parts from the USA? if so, you could get the most basic model 10/22 and make it into a great rifle with all the features of the 10/22T without all the cost. A bull barrel and stock would not tbe too expensive, and you might get a better rifle for lower cost

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hi

That the problem. I cant import a barrel, that would cost wery much and i would have to get a gun import certificate.
Thats why i want one with heavy barrel from the beginning.

Other gun parts as triggers, magazines etc are no problem, but actions and barrels are.

// Johan H

·
Registered
22,250 Posts
Johan,
I don't want to tell you how to spend your money but if it was me in your place I'd buy the 10/22. The basic design has been around for a long time and in most cases trouble free.
I really have nothing against the Rem 597 but they have been having a lot of problems with the magazines.
Look on the Remington Forum below and you'll get a lot more information than I can give you in one post. You'll get a better feel for the likes and dislikes from the actual owners.
G'luck, JL

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hi

Thanks for your answer

Rimfirerod: Depending on model, $333 (Anschutz 1451 ) - $1744 (Anschutz 1827 Fortner)

// Johan H

·
Registered
1,664 Posts
Auto loaders are nice, but I'd take a Sako bolt over a 10/22 anyday. Particularly for a first gun. Semi-autos tend to build too many spray-and-pray bad habits. The 10/22 is so popular because the barrels are so easy to change out and replace, which is also why there are so many aftermarket parts for them. but if all the replacement parts are not available, I'm not sure what the benefit is...other than the nifty magazines (which are easy to insert. load, and carry - I use a revolver speedloader belt pouch to carry 2 loaded extras)

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hi

Today i orderd a Remington 597 Varmint.
My economy wouldn't let me spend the money on a Ruger 10/22 Varmint. But maby next time.
Hope i will like the 597 now.

// Johan H

·
Registered
322 Posts
That's pretty pricey for a POS ruger. I have a 10/22 it has all the parts put on it, it is still a cheap rifle with ok accuracy. I have a lot of fun with it, but it is not worth the sum of money I have sunk into replacement parts. My CZ-452 is twice the gun at much less cost.

·
Registered
272 Posts
el solo said:
That's pretty pricey for a POS ruger. I have a 10/22 it has all the parts put on it, it is still a cheap rifle with ok accuracy. I have a lot of fun with it, but it is not worth the sum of money I have sunk into replacement parts. My CZ-452 is twice the gun at much less cost.
first time ive hear that said...i think the ruger is a perfectly fine semi-22lr rifle, of cource the 452 is gonna be more accurate...its a bolt action...more velocity and more consitent (in my experience) but out to 50 yards my 10/22 (bone stock) out shoots my dad Bushy v-match...so thats pretty good IMO...

·
Registered
322 Posts
I should have qualified that statement. It works fine, after polishing the action and replacing the extractor. It just has the absolute worst fit and finish of any firearm I have ever owned. Cheap stampings and castings, lots of slop in the fitment department, but it is exactly what I thought it was going to be, a base platform for an aftermarket barrel, stock, hammer, extractor, etc. I wouldn't consider one at $722

·
Registered
272 Posts
el solo said:
I should have qualified that statement. It works fine, after polishing the action and replacing the extractor. It just has the absolute worst fit and finish of any firearm I have ever owned. Cheap stampings and castings, lots of slop in the fitment department, but it is exactly what I thought it was going to be, a base platform for an aftermarket barrel, stock, hammer, extractor, etc. I wouldn't consider one at $722
out of curiosity...which model did you buy...my tnz is put together beutifully...just had a minor issue with the fitment to the stock...which was solved with a 20 dollar vq bedding kit...

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Hi

No, $722 is a bit high...
Well, as I said, i got the remington 597 Varmint instead.
I also bought a second hand Remington 870 pump action shotgun. Total $655, two guns for the price of one :)

// Johan H

·
Registered
293 Posts
Got a pair of 870s

Great pump guns, Real smoothe, simple too! Enjoy your new goodies, weather should be lovley there if its not raining so have fun

·
Registered
322 Posts
Just the regular base-model carbine.

In it's bone stock configuration: stovepipe-o-matic, at least two rounds per magazine. Barreled action was always sloppy in the stock, didn't matter how tight the action screw was. Terrible sights, and the scope mount needed replacing cause the one they give you is a joke (after filing down the bump on op of the receiver). Trigger pull....well a new VQ hammer was an easy fix. But the sloppy trigger group to action fit was irritating so I drilled and tapped the receiver for a set screw to hold them togther under a little tension. I was disappointed by the sloppy stampings and castings used to assemble the rifle, I did a lot of deburring on the stampings and polished the inside of the action and the recoil spring rod was in terrible need of smoothing. After that and a new VQ extractor, it will shoot 10 rounds in a row without getting a stuck case jammed in the ejection port. Then came the Bull barrel for some accuracy improvements, which it certainly did improve. New stock cause the junk sapwood that came on the rifle bothered me since day one, (what's with the plastic buttplate Ruger?) So now I have about $450 into a 10/22 that is not nearly as nice as my $192 CZ ultra-lux. But semi-auto's are fun for blasting through lots of bulk pack ammo on a saturday afternoon, and they are completely different types of rifles.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts