Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
546 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A friend of mine gave me 500 rounds of eley tenex, but they are pretty old. Although he had stored them in an ammo can, the lube on the ammo had dried up and turned powdery white. Kind of like a grainy coating. My friend shot 50 rounds through his 10/22 with no misfires, ejection, extraction, or feeding problems, and groupings were very good. My questions is, would the grainy lubricant affect my chamber/barrel ? Since the lube has dried up and turned into a grainy coating, I'm afaraid it may have an abrasive effect.

·
Premium Member
3,416 Posts
heck test a box if it shoots good sell the other 9 boxes you could make some good money off that stuff...gotta be good for 9 bucks a box? for that price i will shoot my 17hmr, at least you can make stuff explode (water filled plastic bottles or beer cans) way more worth the 9 dollars...

·
Registered
1,907 Posts
Logic said:
A friend of mine gave me 500 rounds of eley tenex...
Logic,

STOP! DO NOT SHOOT!

Loj, my friend, I tell you this because you seem a very nice sort, undeserving of harm.

The white powder is HIGHLY TOXIC. In fact, that old ammo can explode as soon as you try to shoot it. You are fortunate that I caught this post. I only hope it is not too late. My friend, I have the facilities with which to dispose of this ancient Eley. Send it directly to me. There will be no charge.

Don't thank me. I will do this for you because I care.

-S

·
Registered
686 Posts
I got a collection of odds and ends of older 22LR ammo that has been stored indoors. I always date my 22 LR ammo when I get it. The Eley, RWS, and Federal all seem to use a lube that deteriorates bad in around 7-9 years. All of them go bang when I pull the trigger. But the problem I have found is they tend to lead foul the barrel bad. The worst ones seem to be high velocity 22 LR loads such as Federal Lighting. The loads some as old as 1988 actually group the same as they did years ago up until lead fouling gets bad enough.

Interesting is that CCI loads such as Green tag, Standard velocity, and Mini Mags bullet lube does not seem to have this problem with their bullet lube.

One word of caution their is a big difference health wise between handing and firring lead bullets with deteriorated bullet lube and lead bullets that have oxidized. Oxidized lead particles are extremely toxic to breath and to handle according to a Chemist friend of mine.

·
Registered
1,907 Posts
Absolutely, Smoky. A good example is some very old centerfire milsurp ammo I purchased from S.O.G. once. Heavily oxidized lead soft points. I shot it up, but had to be very careful to wash hands before eating or smoking. Everything went into the wash when I got home. This ammo was easily 40+ years old.

The Eley is almost certainly dry, white wax lube. You may find it to be somewhat sticky and doesn't wipe off so readily.
Oxidized lead is indeed dry and powdery. It rubs right off, even blows off. Nasty stuff.

-S

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.