Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey, is it ok to dry fire the 597 rarely, like when you are about to store it to discharge the firing pin or something? i read prev posts in other boards where it can cause damage to certain guns and not others, so what about the rem?

thanks for your info

·
Registered
43 Posts
Cant say for sure, but it hasn't hurt mine any, and I dry fire after cleaning and to get the feel at a shooting range. After two years, it still doesn't seem to have affected the action.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I was itching to dry fire mine today, so I looked on Remington's website and here's there response:

" Question
Can I dry fire my 22 rimfire?

Answer
We do not recommend dry firing the rimfire rifles / firearms as this may cause damage to the firing pin and to the chamber. The firing pin on rimfires strikes the rim of the cartridge (thus the "rimfire" designation), so dry firing would allow the firing pin to strike the edge of the chamber area causing possible damage. "

:( So that's no fun :(

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
yeah, for sure, i just made a blank, from a spend case, it will still chamber it, and you press the trigger and it makes a dent in anotherplace on the rim, so its just like firing a round and it discharges the firing pin

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.