Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
358 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The plastic one I have is wearing out, and i noticed the brass ones at brownells. Im really just interested in something that will give a tight seal between patch and bore, to accelerate cleaning. Im concerned the brass would wear out my bore early. What else works well? I have used a patch wrapped around a bore brush with works ok too.

·
Registered
3,301 Posts
Dave B

Check out the Parker Hale style of jag. They have the added advantage of being able to hold a patch so you can swab a bore both ways.

Before someone asks, No I'm not advocating cleaning from the muzzle.

·
Registered
271 Posts
one thing i dont understand...why is everyone so conserned about brass in their barrels...i understand damaging the crown, but with all due respect the barrel is a hell of alot harder than brass...so while there may be a tiny amount of erosion, it wont be bad enough to notice any difference for a LONG time...correct me if im wrong...

·
Registered
2,528 Posts
I always use brass myself, reason being it is hard enough not to bend and let the cleaning rod erode/scratch the barrel, and still softer than the barrel itself. As to the crown, a scratch, nick, whatever could run accuracy into the ground. I also like the Dewey coated rods, but have sure heard good things about Bore Tech also.I don't know how much barrel life top notch cleaning products save compared to the cheap sectional rods, but they sure seem to make cleaning easier, and the bore guides are a real help also.

Clint

·
Registered
28 Posts
General cleaning question

Sorry to drag up this old post but I am new and need some more info related to this topic.

I'm using a Dewey coated rod with a brass jag. Can someone tell me exactly how they wrap their patch on the jag? If I get more than one turn on the jag it's too snug to go through the barrel. If the patch comes unwrapped am I in danger of gouging the barrel with the jag?

Also, someonme mentioned bore guides. I have never located one that would work with a Mark II. Anyone know of a source?

·
Registered
415 Posts
Do not know about the bore guides but I just spear the patch on the end of my dewey Rod the brass jag has a point and push it through. If you are carefull a bore guide is nice but not needed to do the job in fact I have watched gunsmiths and they use a good rod and that is it. If you have to go from the muzzle end get one of the brass cone shaped things to protect the crown and you will still be ok. The patch does not have to be extra tight to work wll and no you will not scratch your barrel using a brass jag if the patch comes off. If you have a good rod like a dewey it should stay straight enough so that will not be worry anyway. Jim

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.