Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was looking at some 22's yesterday, and the dealer told me that 22 pistols were more accurate than 22 revolvers? I didn't realize that.

My friend ended up with a nice Browning 22 Benchmark, which is a real nice looking 22.

·
Registered
87 Posts
the dealer told me that 22 pistols were more accurate than 22 revolvers
They can be… but that is not universally true a lot depends on the pistol design vs. the revolver design. There are more variables in a revolver for instance the cylinder lock-up and barrel-forcing cone are critical to building an accurate revolver. And lot depends on how well the revolver is made.

In a pistol because the chamber is attached to the barrel (unlike the revolver) you have fewer variables in the pistol design. But there are a lot of semi-auto pistol designs that will never be accurate some are real dogs.

Other things such as trigger and sights also effect accuracy so it is not as simple as pistol vs. revolver.

My S&W 617 is a very accurate pistol.

In general a pistol CAN BE more accurate than a revolver but it depends mostly on what pistol you are talking about.

·
Registered
1,608 Posts
I agree with Mike in that there are more variables involved in producing an accurate rimfire revolver - like having six or more individual chambers which are air spaced from the barrel. So , from a manufacturing standpoint it should be "easier" to produce a more accurate semi-auto rimfire pistol , not the cheap pocket pistols , but more along the line of a Ruger MKII , Buckmark or Smith Model 41 , Hammerli or Pardini. Have heard of 41's doing better than an 1" at 50 yards.

Out of all the rimfire handguns I have owned the TC single shot "match" barrels have been the most accurate for me. My semi-autos , Smith 41 and Ruger MKII were next and followed by my revolvers ,Single Six and Smith 617. Have heard of some of the older Smith 17's that were real tackdrivers - would definitely like to own one!

·
Registered
2,709 Posts
I've owned a few high end .22 handguns. Of them, the two most accurate were a Hammerli 208s and a Freedom Arms 252. Being entirely different types of actions, it was interesting that they were so close in accuracy at 50 yards. It could have been a toss up.

The 208s was plain fun to shoot. Absolutely the best trigger I have ever used.

I do know that American Rifleman said that the 252 was the most accurate .22 handgun they had ever tested. It dominates its' particular discipline. A twenty-first century application of technology on a nineteenth century platform.

·
Registered
2,833 Posts
To sort of repeat what's already been said. The friend I bought my XP and Contender from was in the top 10 in IHMSA and knows a BUNCH about making guns shoot accurately. His take on it is:
How accurate can it be when you're basically shooting a bullet from one barrel (the cylinder) into another (the actual barrel)
Revolvers CAN be accurate, it just takes more care in manufacturing ect.
Paul

·
Registered
60 Posts
One advantage the 'standard' revolver has over the 'standard' pistol is the sight radius. with a 6 inch barrel and approximately 3 inches in the frame and possibly an overhang on the rear sight you have about 9 inches or more between the sights. That can make a big difference.

·
Registered
245 Posts
Yes, I agree, it's the shooter. I have many .22 handguns, from prewar Colt Officer's Model revolvers to recent single shot free pistols. They all shoot better than I can.

Bill A

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.