Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I'm purchasing a Winchester 1903 next month and was wondering if these rounds are one in the same. Are the ballistics for this round somewhere b/w .22LR and .22 WMR? I noticed Cabela's has .22WRF for about $55.00/500rds. Is that a decent price? Are there other sources for this ammo? Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
13,303 Posts
Totally different rounds as Pdwight said. CCI might take pity and make a small run of ammo like they recently did for .22WRF, but its unlikely - not much demand for it.

Sorry.

·
Registered
90 Posts
They are very different.....the .22 WRF is slightly more powerful than the .22LR, whereas .22WMR is about twice as powerful -- a .22 Magnum round will have as much energy at 50+ yards as a .22LR has at the muzzle!

·
Registered
5,130 Posts
.22 Win Auto = Wall Hanger

bigt7mm,

The .22 Win Auto cartridge is unique, and very obsolete...! ! :eek: :eek:

There are no "similar to" cartridges, and, the 1903 rifle can not be rechambered or converted to anything else.....! ! :eek: :1t

You are buying a "wall hanger" unless you can find some reasonably priced .22 Win Auto ammo.....! ! :(

Rimfire Ammunition:

0022 22 Winchester Auto, 45gr RN Lead, Old Western Scrounger, 50 $12.95

[ Old Western Scrounger Enter: "22 Win Auto" in Search ]
`

BigMike

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you all for the info. Being that ammo is obsolete,hard to find and expensive should this reflect on the price of the gun? It is in 90%+ condition.Blue book says $500.00. Is $300.00 a decent price? Are these collectable?

Big Mike,thanks for the extra info and link to OWS.

·
Registered
5,130 Posts
Win 1903 .22 Win Auto Rifle

bigt7mm,

Win 1903 .22 Win Auto Rifle Values:

Some typical values: ["Blue Book of Gun Values", 20th Ed. (1999)]
100% = $875. [NIB]
_98% = $825.
_95% = $750.
_90% = $650.
_80% = $550.
_70% = $475.
_60% = $400.

Add ~ 10% to the above values for inflation since 1999.

The Winchester 1903 .22 Win Auto Rifle is sought after by collectors, but only in the better conditions, like 90% or better.

Yes, the fact that the ammunition is obsolete is already factored into the above values, as the ammo has been out-of-production since shortly after WWII. The last box I saw on a dealer's shelf was in the 50's........ :(

The .22 WRF cartridge, a very different cartridge, was still listed by Winchester as late as 1975, and several special lots have been made since then; I believe that CCI is still loading the .22 WRF cartridge. ;)

Hope this helps.......... ;)

`

BigMike

·
Registered
2,659 Posts
In Europe

A number of Winchester 1903 owners, on this side of the pond, in search for a .22 Win Auto ammo subtitute, ask gunsmiths for advice.

I did also.

I was told to convert Winchester Magnum Rimfire (WMR) ammo to shoot in 1903 actions.

Here is how:

The WMR 40-grain bullet is removed w/pliers.

The powder saved aside.

The case is cut, using a small pipe cutter, to a .22 Win Auto spent case's length.

The powder is returned in the case and the original WMR bullet reseated.

Disclaimer: Don't do it. Find some Remington-made (7522) .22 Win Auto, made in the 1970s and 1980s, and be safe.

I asked those who have done the above experiment of re-loading WMRs to shoot in 1903s and the feedback I got (from three different/independent shooters) was that the conversion concept works, but accuracy suffers for anything beyond 25m/27yards or so, while the correct .22 Win Auto shoots accurately with the same gun waaay out to 70m/80yards.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.