Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3,481 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had the opertunity last night to tear down a friends Mk III to do a trigger job, install a Volquartzen sear and blast shield. ( Always best to practice on someone elses gun :p ) A couple of things became immediatly apparent.
The internal trigger components of the MK III were significantly better finished than any of the other (3) MK II's I've been into. The trigger, plunger and hammer all needed little/no stoneing to get them silky smooth. Even the stampings seemed to have less roughness.

Another thing noted was that the magazine disconnect lever ( adjacent to hammer) didn't appear like the part in the IPB in tehmanual or pics I got of teh net. It had a whole other (rear) leg. I have to wonder if this was a 05' change.
Lastly, I had to modify the design of the MK II Blast shield ( fabricated/add-on part)slightly to allow clearence for the stud on the back , left side of the trigger blade. Basily, I just thinned out the tail of the shield on that side.

Anyway, the effort went well and produced an even 2# pull with just a hint of creep. This is maybe 10% better than I've gotten on my MK II's. I may add the pretravel screw to get rid of the creep at a future date.

I'm not saying that this fit/finish thing is a trend or anything as 1 pistol doesn't give a significant sample. Just passing on some observations from the effort.

·
Registered
1,522 Posts
I have already compared the similarities of the Mark II and Mark III here: http://www.markii.org/forum/index.php?showtopic=1676

The discussion also shows that a Mark II hammer and sear can be used to replace the Mark III ones and disable the magazine safety feature.

The new tail on the Mark III magazine safety disconnector lever is a 2005 change. Here's a photo of the old style parts in 2004. The only reason I see for the change is to prevent the part from being installed incorrectly and disabling the firearm.

The hammer isn't the olny thing that can be swapped the trigger is another component that is exchangeable with a Mark II Volquartzen or Clark. This way you don't have to modify the trigger shield to have it fit. Plus, you can use regular 22/45 magazines in the Mark III pistol as long as you install a regular Mark II magazine base block on it.

Adding a pretravel screw, Mark II hammer/bushing, Clark trigger and a Volquartsen sear can give you a trigger pull on the Mark III that rivals anything found on a Mark II.

You can even install Hogue grips if you cut out the back for the magazine release hold down screw.

Hope this helps.

R,
Bullseye

·
Registered
3,481 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
As a mater of fact, Bullseye, I used a pic/info from one of your posts at MK II.org to help me ID and install the MK III unique parts before tearing into it. Thanks. As usuall, your info was right on!

·
Registered
1,522 Posts
Tacoma said:
As a mater of fact, Bullseye, I used a pic/info from one of your posts at MK II.org to help me ID and install the MK III unique parts before tearing into it. Thanks. As usuall, your info was right on!
I am very pleased to hear someone was helped by information I posted - thanks for the feedback Tacoma.

R,
Bullseye

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.