Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner
  • Beware of Scammers! Does it sound too good to be true? New user has just what you were looking for? Don't get scammed! When in doubt, use escrow.
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

· Registered
1,377 Posts
I would also be very interested in seeing your H&R Ultra mdl 777 (1938-1939). It was only manufactured for a couple of years and is distinctive in that it has a cylinder that is about the same length as a .22LR cartridge. This feature was supposedly intended to reduce the amount of travel of a bullet before it encountered the forcing cone on the barrel thus improving the pistol's accuracy.
I have a H&R Eureka mdl 196 that followed the Ultra as shown below:

I would be great to see one of it's cousins:)

· Registered
256 Posts
Here's an Ultra Sportsman once sold by "Jack The Dog"...
Air gun Revolver Font Gun barrel Material property

And here's one that was once posted online by "32 Magnum", the late Jim Hauff...
Air gun Trigger Revolver Gun barrel Gun accessory

Lastly, here's 2 images of an H&R flyer on these rare top-breaks:
Font Material property Publication Book Paper

Trigger Air gun Gun barrel Font Gun accessory

Show us yours -- And curious minds want to know what you paid too.

Old No7

· Registered
256 Posts
Here's a write-up on these from the late Bill Goforth, who wrote "the book" on H&R Firearms:

ULTRA SPORTSMAN MODEL 777 1938 - 1939
Large frame single action top break revolver; 22 rimfire caliber (shorts, longs or long rifles); cylinder capacity 9 rounds; flat top oval shaped barrel 6 inches in length (same as used on the model 199; front sight adjustable for elevation, elevation screw on front of barrel just above muzzle, rear sight adjustable for windage; oversized one piece checkered Walnut grips (eleven different styles available); straight trigger, arched hammer spur; cylinder release is a vertical lever on the right side of barrel lug; rear of cylinder has the patented H&R safety rim; finger rest trigger guard; trigger pull factory set 2 ½ to 3 pounds; hammer mounted firing pin serial numbered in its own series U01 to at least U1000.

Markings:
Top of barrel rib: HARRINGTON & RICHARDSON ARMS CO. WORCHESTER, MASS. U.S.A. in two lines
Left side of barrel: H & R “ULTRA SPORTSMAN” No. 777
Right side of barrel 22 Long Rifle CTGE.

And this info was posted online years ago by the late by Jim Hauff:

So few of this model have been transacted over the past 5 years or so, that the valuations listed in the Blue Book are based upon a very limited set, primarily gained from less than a dozen sold on gun auction sites, several personal sales that became known to me and a few that I personally purchased or offered upon. Therefore, pricing and valuation of this model (as well as the rarer Model 196 Eureka Sportsman) are subjective and vary quite a bit from region to region and time to time. The market is limited to those who recognize the collectability of these models - others will not value them as highly and will lump them into the general valuation of the Sportsman revolvers.

Hope this info is helpful.

Old No7

· Registered
1,377 Posts
Thanks Old No.7 for the great information on the subject of these uncommon H&R speciality target revolvers, especially thank you for the H&R ad flyer. I have Mr Goforth's fine book, but not the ad flyer that you posted.

· Registered
256 Posts
Nice handguns. So the 999 models were made concurrent or to replace the 777?
The 999s were concurrent -- before, during and for years after -- as the 777s were only made in those 2 years noted above (pre war). Now that I think about it, it's odd they didn't continue the Ultra in '46 or '47 but I'm sure there were post-war reasons for why they didn't. One can only wonder what those were...

Old No7

· Registered
2 Posts
Here are my 3 Ultras with their super short cylinders and Single Actions. Still need a Eureka though, the final development of this design.

Cheers,

George Jr.
Beautiful! Save some for the rest of us though :LOL:

I purchased one on Gunbroker a couple months ago (U268) but sadly the hammer turned out to be damaged and very poorly repaired so I sent it back. The bad repair job put pressure on the trigger components and made the cylinder stop retract when the hammer was down, which allowed the cylinder to freely spin. Would have been functional but is kind of a bummer for a collector.

· Registered
256 Posts
Beautiful! Save some for the rest of us though :LOL:
+1 to that!

Oh wait, I already have an Ultra...

It's the Eureka (Model 196) that I don't have... Last time I saw one at auction, the sale price ended up way over what I was willing or able to pay.

But as a consolation prize -- I do have the uber-rare 2" (Model 299 Defender), ultra-rare 3", a very rare nickle-plated Silver Sportsman, and the almost rare Factory Engraved versions of the Model 999 Sportsman. I will have to post a family picture of all the varieties of Sportsmans that I have here some time.

Old No7

· Registered
2 Posts
Is your 3” a Sportsman or a New Defender? I have a 3” New Defender. I saw a 3” Sportsman sell last year in an Amoskeag auction but it went for more than I could afford at the time. Both are very rare! I’m on a trip at the moment but I’ll post a photo of my H&R collection next week when I get back.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts