Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
383 Posts
It was an interesting article. There was some information, but the article was filled with the author's rants and predjudices. It was obvious before I even got there that he loved Bushnell 3200-4200 series scopes.
That being said, there was some information that was useful, if you read between the lines.

He was wrong about one thing, the Germans also had coated binoculars, after all, they invented it.

I make no bones about the fact that I like high end scopes. Two years ago Guns Magazine did a test of 4 very high end scopes: Leupold LPS, Zeiss with its new T-series coatings, Swarovski, and Schmidt and Bender. All these scopes cost over $1200. They were high-power scopes in the 4-16x50 range. Frankly, all the scopes were awesome, but the S&B scope won.
Granted, these scopes are not affordable by everyone, but they are the best of the best.
I will guarantee you, if you look through these scopes under field conditions, they will be a lot better than other brands. Even Bushnell 3200-4200 series.

I don't know where Leopold gets its glass, but I have several of their scopes, and they are good pieces of optics, as well as very well made. That counts for a lot.

My only experience with Bushnells is that they are primarily junk, BUT before the flames come, they were low end scopes. Not the better series.

I think one of the reasons Burris has had problems, is that many of their scopes had off-set turn Knobs, that were difficult to mount.

Well.......so much for my rants. You can't pay too much for optics in my opinion, after all they are what you look through. But there can be a point of diminishing returs. As good as my S&B scopes are, they really are not twice as good as a comparable Leupold, although they cost a lot more. But I've bought my last scopes for those rifles that have them.

·
Registered
590 Posts
Although I shouldn't, and it's probably a waste of both our times, I feel compelled to comment on the article. I agree with mrmarklin that the author is obviously, and completely, biased toward Bushnell. Does he own stock? Maybe. His fixation on certain things, either good or bad, were obvious and governed his observations of the product in question. I have used most brands of scopes at different times in my life although I have NOT owned each model of those brands. I have found through trial and error that certain brands provide substantially better, and more consistent, scopes than others. So I stay with them for now. One of those is the Leupold Vari-X III line, and I really don't think the fact that the power is not exactly what is printed on the selector ring makes the scope any less of a good product. How about the horsepower ratings or engine size of cars or motorcycles, think they're exactly on the mark? I know it's hard to convince people to NOT buy Leupold, maybe this is the only thing he can find to try and steer sales to Bushnell to strengthen his stock holdings! However, I do like the Elite scopes so must give them their due. I don't own one, but I have used a friends Bushnell Elite 4200 and it is a superior scope. In fact I am considering buying one to replace my sole surviving Vari-X II model. Are they better than a Vari-X III for all the reasons I like them? Maybe, but I'm not switching. I like the strength and reliability I learned to expect of them. I like the additional eye relief the offer over other scopes for big recoiling guns. I like the fact they have the best customer service I've ever dealt with outside of RCBS. No, I don't have to send my scopes in all the time, but the twice I have they won my respect. They went way beyond anything I expected when they sent me a replacement scope for one I purchased used AT NO COST and they knew I had acquired it second hand. That says something about a company! It's sure nice to know that's there in the event you need it. Probably the reason used Leupolds command such a high price.

Enough ranting...just glad there's a quality place like RFC where a fellow can do that once in a while.

·
Registered
5,084 Posts
NSX vs Civic

mrmarklin,
My only experience with Bushnells is that they are primarily junk, BUT before the flames come, they were low end scopes. Not the better series.
The Bushnell scopes mentioned, the Elite 3200 and Elite 4200 are really Baush & Lomb scopes that got caught in a corporate realignment...! ! :eek:

As such, they should NOT be compared with Bushnell scopes, ever...! ! :(

Sort of like comparing an NSX with a Civic...! ! :eek: :( :eek: :rolleyes:

·
Registered
618 Posts
Big Mike, you are absolutely correct!

I have a B&L Elite 4000 (immediate predecessor to the Bushnell Elite 4200) 2.5-10X40mm centerfire scope on my Rem. 7mm-08, and it is a great scope for the money. At the time, it cost about the same as a Leupold VX-II, but I liked the B&L better.

B&L wanted to remain politically correct and disassociate its optical products branding from "firearms related" products (kind of like Nikon -- at that time -- not aggressively marketing its riflecopes). Remember, these were the Clinton years. :mad: Besides, Bushnell had a brand name that had long been associated with shooting sports -- thus the differentiation keeping the Elite name for a higher quality, higher price-point product.

FWIW, I have a couple of older Bushnell rimfire scopes (an integral rail 7/8" 2-7X, and a 1" tube 4X) that are almost 30 years old and the ( Japanese) optics on those are very clear. I paid about $40 each for those scopes way back then.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.